Ekholm-Subban=best pair in playoffs?

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
As someone mentioned earlier,

crazy stat line that Erik Karlsson at the very least has been on the ice for all GWGs (10) for Sens.

Horrible, horrible stat. But EK65 is a +13 and there was a game where he was +4 and Sid -3,

all while averaging over 28 minutes a game.

My thoughts as an Oilers fan?

Top pairing in the playoffs right now is a coin flip.

Most important pairing to their respective team? Yup, that's 65 and 3 in red on the blueline.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
D-men who lead ATOI for their team:

Fowler: 289 mins, 11 GA
Karlsson: 346 mins, 9 GA
Dumoulin: 267 mins, 7 GA
Ekholm: 309 mins, 5 GA
Good lord, what a gaudy stat. I've been watching lots of the Conference finals (of course all of Nashville's) and even I was taken aback by that stat. Ekholm has been unbelievable.
The shift he put in on the GWG last night-- key defensive play at what should have been the end of a long shift. Every other Pred on the ice changes out as Ek carries puck into O zone, then he dishes to Forsberg for shot. Even at the time I was just floored by that effort in the 3rd. Huge play. The guys has been money in this series. Yes, Karlsson is an offensive and elusive genius, but for all around play, you can make an argument Ekholm has been just as valuable to his team.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Got it. Lose as a team and win as an individual. Oh those narratives just won't be stopped once they get going, eh?

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Got it. Lose as a team and win as an individual. Oh those narratives just won't be stopped once they get going, eh?

No, The entire team wins and Karlsson is the biggest reason but not the only one.

Where were you the last few pages? Why focus on a single bad game? What about the rest?

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Ekholm and Subban have been the best pairing for the entire playoffs. Karlsson may be the best defenseman in the league, but that doesn't make his pairing the best of these playoffs. He's not a ****ing superhero.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
This is by no means a shot at Subban but I feel like if Ekholm had played in Montreal, he would be the one known for going into beastmode in the playoffs. He's turned it up too another level the last two postseasons. Great player.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Ekholm and Subban have been the best pairing for the entire playoffs. Karlsson may be the best defenseman in the league, but that doesn't make his pairing the best of these playoffs. He's not a ****ing superhero.

I agree with that. Ekholm and Subban are world-class players. Karlsson is individually better than either players but combined? Come on. You can't just pair anyone with Karlsson and claim his pair is better. Ekholm and Subban completely shut down the opposition while providing and appreciable level of offense.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I agree with that. Ekholm and Subban are world-class players. Karlsson is individually better than either players but combined? Come on. You can't just pair anyone with Karlsson and claim his pair is better. Ekholm and Subban completely shut down the opposition while providing and appreciable level of offense.

And have you read the last few pages? Because that is exactly what some have said, that Karlsson with literally anyone is the best pairing evaarrrr. Which is pure garbage. So yeah, when Karlsson and Co get schooled in a game, it's worth the shoutout.

RomanEmpire

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
Just a few years ago.."Josi is one of the most underrated defenseman in the league"

More recently.."Ellis is one of the most underrated defenseman in the league"

Now, it's.."Ekholm is one of the most underrated defenseman in the league"

Kinda crazy the amount of blueline talent that Nashville continues to pump out. We've been spoiled as a fanbase.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
Subban and Ekholm dominated. Not just Subban.

Yup, Ekholm deserves just as much credit as Subban for their effective play at 5 on 5 and on the penalty kill. The only place where Subban gets the edge is his play on the PP, he leads all defensemen in the league with 5 points (tied with Schultz).

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Playoffs

Pair | Expected GA/60 | Expected GF%
Ekholm-Subban | 2.00 |56.36
Josi-Ellis |2.74 | 45.18

Ekholm-Subban has been way better. At least at 5-on-5.
Subban Ekholm are easily best in the playoffs.
Subban and Ekholm dominated. Not just Subban.
Especially Subban though. He's been all over the loose pucks. He's been nothing short of phenomenal. Only Rinne has been better on that team.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Subban Ekholm are easily best in the playoffs.

Especially Subban though. He's been all over the loose pucks. He's been nothing short of phenomenal. Only Rinne has been better on that team.

And how do those stats compare to Karlsson/Methot?

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I have no idea either. Really interested in the numbers though since I just hear all the Karlsson hype, but don't see a bunch of awesome in the games I have caught.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I have no idea either. Really interested in the numbers though since I just hear all the Karlsson hype, but don't see a bunch of awesome in the games I have caught.

If you've only watched the Pens series he hasn't been great for the most part. He was very impressive prior to that.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Just a few years ago.."Josi is one of the most underrated defenseman in the league"

More recently.."Ellis is one of the most underrated defenseman in the league"

Now, it's.."Ekholm is one of the most underrated defenseman in the league"

Kinda crazy the amount of blueline talent that Nashville continues to pump out. We've been spoiled as a fanbase.
Imagine if Jones was still on the team…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad