Ekholm-Subban=best pair in playoffs?

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Switch these two.

I don't think so. Ellis and Josi have impressed me more than PK and Ekholm.

Depends on personal preference, but give me the actual production over some corsi stats.
Josi/Ellis have combined for 9 goals these playoffs!
Subban+Ekholm=1 goal.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
I didn't know how good Ekholm was until these playoffs. Nashville has 4 top pairing dman. It's ****ing ridiculous

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee

Depends on personal preference, but give me the actual production over some corsi stats.
Subban+Ekholm=1 goal.

Josi and Ellis have been on for a lot more goals against, though.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017

Subban+Ekholm=1 goal.

Josi and Ellis have stepped up and scored a few huge goals, that's for sure.

But so did Subban and Ekholm. They only scored 1 goal together, but they had huge assists on huge goals. Game 1 vs Anaheim is one good example.

And defensively, Subban and Ekholm have done a great job of shutting down the other team's top players. So far, the top 4 D have been on the ice for:

Ekholm: 14 GF and 4 GA
Subban: 16 GF and 7 GA
Josi: 17 GF and 16 GA
Ellis: 16 GF and 14 GA

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Yay numbers to back up what your eyes already told you.

My drive into work was busy this morning I don't need to know how many cars there were to know it was busy.

Ok? Sometimes it's nice to see the actually stats behind what you already knew to be good play. I know a guy who is the store manager of an incredibly busy home improvement store. I could go in and see it's very busy. He told me it's consistently in the top fifteen in the entire nation + Canada. It's pretty impressive to hear those numbers.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Josi and Ellis have stepped up and scored a few huge goals, that's for sure.

But so did Subban and Ekholm. They only scored 1 goal together, but they had huge assists on huge goals. Game 1 vs Anaheim is one good example.

And defensively, Subban and Ekholm have done a great job of shutting down the other team's top players. So far, the top 4 D have been on the ice for:

Ekholm: 14 GF and 4 GA
Subban: 16 GF and 7 GA
Josi: 17 GF and 16 GA
Ellis: 16 GF and 14 GA

I totally get your point, especially Ekholms is amazing, 4 goals against when he is on the ice, over the full post season!!!

But again, those stats tend in the same direction like the +/-, I just think there is a higher impact measurable of you as player when you score a goal than being on the ice when you team gets a shot/goal.

But like I said, it has a lot to do with personal preference what you expect from a defender.

In the end, I don't even know if I want to debate who of the 4 warriors has been the best, just enjoying that excellent combo.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
on which advanced stats site can i see those matchups and their results like the tweets state?

like how much TOI Ekholm spent with Getzlaf and his CF GF and SCF % and etc vs him

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
I totally get your point, especially Ekholms is amazing, 4 goals against when he is on the ice, over the full post season!!!

But again, those stats tend in the same direction like the +/-, I just think there is a higher impact measurable of you as player when you score a goal than being on the ice when you team gets a shot/goal.

But like I said, it has a lot to do with personal preference what you expect from a defender.

In the end, I don't even know if I want to debate who of the 4 warriors has been the best, just enjoying that excellent combo.

The problem with that is point scoirng for defenseman tends to favour aggressive pinching in the offensive zone over overall offensive effectiveness from defensemen, which tends to be more about efficency in puck recovery and transition in the offensive zone. Guys who pinch deep get more touches closer to the net which translates into more points, but it doesn't always correspond to more team attempts on the net and goals.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
on which advanced stats site can i see those matchups and their results like the tweets state?

like how much TOI Ekholm spent with Getzlaf and his CF GF and SCF % and etc vs him

I use Natural Stat Trick... here are the stats for last night:

http://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20162017&game=30323

At the bottom, you could look at, for example, Predators - Opposition, you click on the +, then you select Ekholm (by pointing your mouse on the players name, which by default is Austin Watson). Then you'll see all the Ducks player, and you'll see Ekholm's stats while playing against those players. For example Getzlaf, you'll see they played 10:51 against each other at 5vs5... It's important to note those stats are for Ekholm. So you'll see 12 CF and 5 CA next to Getzlaf, but it's really 12 CF for Ekholm when Getzlaf is on the ice, not the other way around.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

At the bottom, you could look at, for example, Predators - Opposition, you click on the +, then you select Ekholm (by pointing your mouse on the players name, which by default is Austin Watson). Then you'll see all the Ducks player, and you'll see Ekholm's stats while playing against those players. For example Getzlaf, you'll see they played 10:51 against each other at 5vs5... It's important to note those stats are for Ekholm. So you'll see 12 CF and 5 CA next to Getzlaf, but it's really 12 CF for Ekholm when Getzlaf is on the ice, not the other way around.

nice thanks

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Okay so I see how you can get these stats on per game basis, but not per series basis unless i am missing it.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal

Fair point but again tonight, Josi and Ellis were on the ice for 2 goals Anaheim scored.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Josi and Ellis are more impressive.

Eckholm is rock solid.

I hate to say anything good about Subban when he constantly lays on top of players, embellishes and sucker punches people in the back of the head. All three of those things are disgraceful.

:laugh:

Hard to take your opinion seriously when you admit that you're too biased to offer a fair opinion.

SilasAdams

Jun 19, 2010
Deadwood
D-men who lead ATOI for their team:

Fowler: 289 mins, 11 GA
Karlsson: 346 mins, 9 GA
Dumoulin: 267 mins, 7 GA
Ekholm: 309 mins, 5 GA

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
D-men who lead ATOI for their team:

Fowler: 289 mins, 11 GA
Karlsson: 346 mins, 9 GA
Dumoulin: 267 mins, 7 GA
Ekholm: 309 mins, 5 GA

Got it Ek's been the best defesive D of the final 4. However, Karlsson has been far better offensively and has a broken foot.

The real question is who pairs with Karlsson at 2018 olympics: Ek or Hedman?

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
Got it Ek's been the best defesive D of the final 4. However, Karlsson has been far better offensively and has a broken foot.

The real question is who pairs with Karlsson at 2018 olympics: Ek or Hedman?

I would go Karlsson-Ekholm and Hedman-Strålman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad