Great Britain: EIHL discussion thread

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
They don't want to go back to 10 imports, and one guy even said scrap import limits and go back to the super league system :facepalm: because that worked so well last time

I really don't buy the argument that less imports means the top teams buy all the good Brits and the small teams struggle. Dundee are crap because their only good players are Rhyanen, Wirll, and Bagron. Not because the other teams have better Brits.

They also think because of imports being 11 this has been the best season ever, no, imports were at 11 only a couple of seasons ago. This season has been better because of the conferences.

There's also the typical "I don't care about nationality I just want to see my team win with the best possible product" responses. But what they don't seem to realise is this isn't premier league football and the standard isn't going to get any better if we just continue to just bring in 3rd rate North Americans and don't develop homegrown talent.

Last edited:

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
I'm happy for the conference winners
But would someone please explain why if the league champion has already been decided there's playoffs?
With Challenge Cup, Playoff Cup and Conference winners (which worked by the way) isn't the league starting to be like your grade 4 field day where everyone gets participation medals?
Just asking.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I'm happy for the conference winners
But would someone please explain why if the league champion has already been decided there's playoffs?
With Challenge Cup, Playoff Cup and Conference winners (which worked by the way) isn't the league starting to be like your grade 4 field day where everyone gets participation medals?
Just asking.

Because the playoffs are just a home and home, 1 semi final game and 1 final game, so they aren't very meaningful. The teams can't get/cant afford the ice time to have longer playoffs without having a much shorter regular season, and anyway they would run through the World Championships.

Plus it's just British sporting culture, there are no playoffs in EPL football. But EIHL has to have some form of playoffs, because that is hockey culture.

The challenge cup is again another British sports culture thing, because we have the FA and League cup in football, LV = cup in rugby union, challenge cup in rugby league.

Last edited:

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Because the playoffs are just a home and home, 1 semi final game and 1 final game, so they aren't very meaningful. The teams can't get/cant afford the ice time to have longer playoffs without having a much shorter regular season, and anyway they would run through the World Championships.

Plus it's just British sporting culture, there are no playoffs in EPL football. But EIHL has to have some form of playoffs, because that is hockey culture.

The challenge cup is again another British sports culture thing, because we have the FA and League cup in football, LV = cup in rugby union, challenge cup in rugby league.
So why isn't there a Coupe de France thing that is open to all 4 Divisions and has a final drawing of 13,000 plus. Wouldn't it work for EIHL, EPIHL, NIHL. SNL?
But I do understand Final 4 weekend as a celebration of the season,

Last edited:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
So why isn't there a Coupe de France thing that is open to all 4 Divisions and has a final drawing of 13,000 plus. Wouldn't it work for EIHL, EPIHL, NIHL. SNL?
But I do understand Final 4 weekend as a celebration of the season,

No the gap in standard is too large

If my team played a team like the Chelmsford Chieftains we would probably lose by 15 goals let alone an EPIHL or EIHL team.

To put it into perspective, Gosport Devils got promotion from NIHL South2 to South1 and improved their team for this season, they have won 2 games out of 31 with a goal difference of -147, they have had 10 goals scored against them 10 times.

Last edited:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Nottingham Panthers forward David Ling is named Ice Hockey Journalists UK’s Elite League Player of the Year.

Edinburgh Capitals player-coach Richard Hartmann is named Ice Hockey Journalists UK’s Elite League Coach of the Year.

Best British Netminder: Stephen Murphy (Belfast Giants); Best British Defenceman: Jonathan Weaver (Nottingham Panthers).

Best British Forward: Craig Peacock (Belfast Giants); Best U21 Young Player: James Griffin (Coventry Blaze).

IHJUK Elite League All-Star First Team - Craig Kowalski; Mike Schutte, Eric Werner, David Ling, Bruce Graham, Mac Faulkner.

IHJUK Elite League All-Star Second Team - Nic Riopel, Robby Sandrock, Drew Fata, Sami Ryhanen, Rene Jarolin, Ash Goldie.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
pleased for ash goldie getting some recognition as he's been outstanding this year despite the overall problems that the clan have had.

howeaboutthat

Jun 20, 2012
A ways outside MI...
It's hilarious that everyone hates them :laugh: They're like the Vancouver or Pittsburgh of the EIHL

I'm perfectly neutral when it comes to the EIHL, so congratulations to the Nottingham Panthers

Yeah, it was quite pathetic how much many Steelers, Coventry and Devils fans were falling about the arena in their attempt to show their hatred of Panthers by cheering their little lungs out for the Giants.

As much as Vancouver or Pittsburgh are disliked can you honestly imagine an NHL fan jumping up and down screaming if another team scored against them?

I loved it today, loved the disappointed look on all those sad faces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad