Great Britain: EIHL discussion thread

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Zemlak in Belfast? God help them. He thrived in Fife where there was no pressure on him because they weren't expected to win games, and he crumbled under that pressure in Braehead so he'll be even worse in Belfast.

Title is Nottingham's to lose now.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
Belfast with a win in Nottingham last night.

Apparently the Panthers were shockingly bad, and if they don't step it up hugely they will get slaughtered in Sheffield tonight.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Anthony Stewart who spent some time this season in the EIJL this season has cleared NHL waivers.
The LA Kings have assigned him to their AHL affiliate Manchester Monarchs ( the Manchester in New Hampshire :sarcasm:)

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
I thought there were more, I remember during the off season you posting several times that a "home town boy" had signed in the EIHL

that might have been last season though
No I posted about others from Atlantic Canada or played Uni hickey in Atlantic Canada.
Thar may have confused you
Which is only Colbert and and Roberts in Belfast

Last edited:

ficohok*

This is little confusing to me :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Ice_Hockey_League

Team finishing 1st in each conference will be Elite Ice Hockey League Conference Champions, both conference champions are guaranteed a top 2 seeding in the play offs and the top team will win the regular season title which is considered more valuable than even the play offs.

If reg.season title is so important, why even bother to play play-offs ? :)

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
This is little confusing to me :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Ice_Hockey_League

Team finishing 1st in each conference will be Elite Ice Hockey League Conference Champions, both conference champions are guaranteed a top 2 seeding in the play offs and the top team will win the regular season title which is considered more valuable than even the play offs.

If reg.season title is so important, why even bother to play play-offs ? :)

The league is more important because the playoffs are not very meaningful since there are no 7 game series. 1/4 finals are just 2 games home and away decided by aggregate score. And the semi-finals and finals are just 1 game. This is because the teams don't have the money or ice time to have a long playoff series.

It's also partly because of the British football culture where there are no playoffs to decide the league title.

Playoffs are just there to give the teams out of the title race something to play for, since due to no long series they can just turn up and be the better team on the day in the playoffs. And obviously because playoffs are part of hockey culture, and to make more money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad