Eichel

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
If not Eichel, then who?

Someone we draft and develop, or trade for and develop. I don't think we're going to get the player we need via trade or FA. I also don't think we need just one player. I'm in the camp that we're in rebuild territory and not just retool. And I don't think Eichel would change that because what we'd need to trade to get him are players and pieces that are part of the plan for the future.

Reactions: Toe Pick and DJA

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Sabres fan here. It's too bad Jarmo already traded PLD. PLD + 1st for Eichel seems like it'd be an obvious choice for both teams.

As it stands I can't see the Sabres not finding a better off from another team. It's possible but they'd have to prefer a huge quantity for one guy trade that might not be good for either team.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'd rather stick someone else with Eichel and Laine. You went that line to tilt the ice and Eichel can drive that if healthy. Nyquist is a responsible and calming presence.

Maybe I've missed the fact that Domi, Bjork and cam were effective together. Bjork can play with anyone but I'd feel he's somewhat wasted with Eichel and Laine.
I noticed that Robinson--Domi--Bork was very effective together, Cam although started twice with Max and Bjork, never finished these games with them and the last game played with Patrik and Jack. Btw the line was very good. Besides Jack has very good chemistry with Bemmer too and Tex is better and better as the center. So IMHO more logical would be to give a chance the lines:

Robinson /1/--Domi--Bjorkstrand
Laine--Roslovic--Bemstrom
Nyquist--Texier--Atkinson

/1/ - I know Robinson wouldn't play in the first line probably so similar player like Eric.

So we should free cap space for Jones and Werenski salary, plus we could add players if there would be problems. Because I think we should try our sources and not to buy a player with not too good history of injury. Domi has 26, Roslovic 24, Texier 22, if Foudy would improve so 21. Give them a chance.

Toronto had Matthews, one bought Tavares and we won in the last PO without Panarin and Bobrovsky.

EDIT: if comment only your idea about roster where is written Patrik should chemistry with Eichel?
Plus we know he has chemistry with Domi (a problem - defense) and Roslovic who is improving as the center.
If all centers and it wouldn't be important their wingers I don't think moving somebody from the couple Rosl/Max to the 3th line would be happy solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: cslebn

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I noticed that Robinson--Domi--Bork was very effective together, Cam although started twice with Max and Bjork, never finished these games with them and the last game played with Patrik and Jack. Btw the line was very good. Besides Jack has very good chemistry with Bemmer too and Tex is better and better as the center. So IMHO more logical would be to give a chance the lines:

Robinson /1/--Domi--Bjorkstrand
Laine--Roslovic--Bemstrom
Nyquist--Texier--Atkinson

/1/ - I know Robinson wouldn't play in the first line probably so similar player like Eric.

So we should free cap space for Jones and Werenski salary, plus we could add players if there would be problems. Because I think we should try our sources and not to buy a player with not too good history of injury. Domi has 26, Roslovic 24, Texier 22, if Foudy would improve so 21. Give them a chance.

Toronto had Matthews, one bought Tavares and we won in the last PO without Panarin and Bobrovsky.

I think those lines best reflect the late season chemistry we saw. I don't have a problem with any of those lines individually but there remains the issue that they need to be sheltered somehow. We need a line to take focus from the opposition's best checkers, which lets Domi and Roslovic-Laine get easier scoring opportunities. And we need a line (maybe the same one) that can handle the opponent's best. Yeah we beat Matthews, but that was with strong defensive matchups like Jenner-Foligno, Dubois, and Wennberg. Domi and Roslovic-Laine can't do that.

Reactions: cslebn

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think those lines best reflect the late season chemistry we saw. I don't have a problem with any of those lines individually but there remains the issue that they need to be sheltered somehow. We need a line to take focus from the opposition's best checkers, which lets Domi and Roslovic-Laine get easier scoring opportunities. And we need a line (maybe the same one) that can handle the opponent's best. Yeah we beat Matthews, but that was with strong defensive matchups like Jenner-Foligno, Dubois, and Wennberg. Domi and Roslovic-Laine can't do that.
IMHO you underrated our players.
Btw you said very important thing, we beat Toronto with Foligno, Jenner, Wennberg and JPD. And Toronto had not only Matthews, but it had Tavares too. And Marner with Nylander. So two strong lines. And don't help it. I understand Roslovic and Domi aren't defensive kings but have three offensive lines is very good especially if players improve. Plus you saw yourself what Laine can IF he had his day. Nobody can't took him the puck, he didn't notice hard forchecking, won battles around the boards, fed his partners and was strong on the puck. So he has to improve his stability too. IMHO it's the most important. Bjork is better and better and...although write about Bjork is useless we all know his qualities :). Tex is progressing, in defense too. We aren't TOP team yet but we have to build our team step by step.

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
If he gets an artificial neck, I think he should go all the way and get like, a transplanted one from a giraffe. Then we can all talk about how he's got fantastic on-ice vision.
Why you want to hurt Tage Nathaniel Thompson? He needs neck himself.:laugh:. Sabres board call him Giraffe.:laugh:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Revisiting the idea of quantity for quality.

Lindros was traded for:
  • An offensive D
  • Middle 6 forward
  • A first round prospect in development
  • A former first that wasn't an NHL regular in his first 6 season post draft
  • A prospect about to break into the NHL but middle 6 at best (so a B)
  • An average goalie
  • 2 1sts
  • Cash
Lindros was disgruntled like Eichel. But there wasn't injury history yet. I'd also say cap weighs against Eichel like the injuries but there would be a lot of cap moving out. The reduced flexibility hurts though.

The other trade is the Nash trade which I'd say comes to:
  • 2A C
  • 2B C
  • B prospect
  • 1st
Clearly Eichel is worth more than Nash but I don't this he's quite worth a lindros haul. To me, Werenski is more valuable than Duchense. Nyquist or Jenner might be close to Ricci. Foudy or Robinson is your Chris Simon. One of the Russians is Forsberg (I doubt they end up there but he'd been a huge reach at 6, was a trail endof the first high 2nd prospect that played 2 more years after the trade in Europe). Korpi is hextall.

If I were buffalo I'd probably chase a young D and Tex or Bem if they can't get Zach. So you end up with something like:

Tex + Jenner + Korpi + Lethonen/Kukan/Peeke + Marchenko + 1st + 1st + '22 1st? and then buffalo fans will still want more.

Not sure I give all that up with the injury risk. Not sure I don't.
The only thing making Eichel more valuable than Nash is that he’s a center. Only one time did Nash score less than 30 goals. Only one time has Eichel scored more than 30 goals. And while neither would be confused as Selke candidates, Nash was certainly a better defensive player.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Why would we have tried to acquire a previously-barely-twent-point-guy as sellers at the deadline? Plus, he's an RFA this offseason.

Did we also "miss" on Taylor Hall? Come on.

Dark & Stormy.. yeah he was available long before the deadline. Huge difference between trading and keeping Bennett and renting Taylor Hall. CBJ is so weak down the middle I would be assessing every situation.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Also I still would take Taylor Hall here every day of the week. Although I think he’s found a home long term in Boston

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Well that and scoring a lot more assists and points and being three years younger. I think he's better than Nash was.

Totally agree that Eichel is more valuable than Nash, PPG center that can make plays for himself and his teammates equally well. Now a hockey player that requires neck surgery.. he will probably be fine but that just sounds debilitating to me.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Totally agree that Eichel is more valuable than Nash, PPG center that can make plays for himself and his teammates equally well. Now a hockey player that requires neck surgery.. he will probably be fine but that just sounds debilitating to me.

Yeah I would hire ten different doctors for their opinion on Eichel's neck before I made a decision either way.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Also I still would take Taylor Hall here every day of the week. Although I think he’s found a home long term in Boston

Yes CBJWerenski8 this playoff version of Hall looks really good -

I can't help but think he wants to go back to the Oil next season. He has some unfinished business in Edmonton

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Nash could play in PP/PK one was more versatile. His value was better IMHO. And he can make his linemate better too. If Nash would play today I would prefer him before Eichel.

Jesus, why? 30 year player? He won`t be better on the contrary he could regress.

Hertl from SJ and JT Miller from VAN are the 2 names that I’ve seen thrown out…. Though I’d prefer Hertl.

And nothing concrete has came out saying either would be available.
Sharks` centers are Hertl and Couture. So probably we can forget him.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoeBartoli

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Someone we draft and develop, or trade for and develop. I don't think we're going to get the player we need via trade or FA. I also don't think we need just one player. I'm in the camp that we're in rebuild territory and not just retool. And I don't think Eichel would change that because what we'd need to trade to get him are players and pieces that are part of the plan for the future.

This is exactly where I’m at today. Last year I was willing to deal PLD + Werenski for Eichel but that ship has obviously sailed.

We’ve got to rebuild through the draft and hope we hit on some highly skilled impact guys. I mean this is where Jarmo was supposed to excel at right? Jarmo, you’re on the clock.

Reactions: LoneFunyan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad