Eichel vs Matthews

Who would you take moving forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
No one is using it as an excuse, did I not just agree Matthews had more points than Eichel in 16-17, 4 years ago. Just as Eichel had 9 more points than Matthews in 18-19 only 2 years ago where Eichel played only 77 games and he did it on a worse team with lesser line mates.
Matthews' linemates that season were not good. He spent majority of the season with Kapanen, Marleau, or Johnsson on 1 or both of his wings. None of those guys were close to being top 6 wingers. I believe Eichel played almost exclusively with Reinhart and Skinner, both of whom had 60+ points. You obviously do not know what you are talking about.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Matthews' linemates that season were not good. He spent majority of the season with Kapanen, Marleau, or Johnsson on 1 or both of his wings. None of those guys were close to being top 6 wingers. I believe Eichel played almost exclusively with Reinhart and Skinner, both of whom had 60+ points. You obviously do not know what you are talking about.
I'll take Matthews linemates, and team over Eichel's any day in a player to player comparision thus far in their careers. Anyone who does not agree, is not being honest. Again, I have never said it was AINEC for these 2 players unlike some posters, I have always maintained it would be close, but at some point, one would like to see both players have the similar competition and teams to play on to make a fair comparison.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I'll take Matthews linemates, and team over Eichel's any day in a player to player comparision thus far in their careers. Anyone who does not agree, is not being honest. Again, I have never said it was AINEC for these 2 players unlike some posters, I have always maintained it would be close, but at some point, one would like to see both players have the similar competition and teams to play on to make a fair comparison.
hmmm whenever i use the teammate argument with Draisaitl playing with Mcdavid i get yelled at.

not saying it isnt valid. just inconsistent.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
So which one of 18/19's Kapanen, Marleau, and Johnsson would you take over 18/19's Skinner and Reinhart?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
hmmm whenever i use the teammate argument with Draisaitl playing with Mcdavid i get yelled at.

not saying it isnt valid. just inconsistent.
I think the biggest difference for Draisaitl, McDavid, and Matthews is they all play with atleast one other elite player.After Mc-Saitl there really isn't much on that team. Eichel is unique. As hockey fans you know he has been part of some really bad teams, and he never has had the caliber of teammates as Matthews or some others have had. Sometimes all you need is one elite talent to make each other better. Matthews is a great talent, no said he isn't that I have read here. He has been more fortunate in teammates and offensive systems than Eichel has played on. I will say again it is close for both players, there is no its not even close. I just want to see Eichel have his chance playing with the same talent as other players. So when I see his stats close to Matthews, it just makes me wonder how much better is he. Logical question is it not?

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I think the biggest difference for Draisaitl, McDavid, and Matthews is they all play with atleast one other elite player.After Mc-Saitl there really isn't much on that team. Eichel is unique. As hockey fans you know he has been part of some really bad teams, and he never has had the caliber of teammates as Matthews or some others have had. Sometimes all you need is one elite talent to make each other better. Matthews is a great talent, no said he isn't that I have read here. He has been more fortunate in teammates and offensive systems than Eichel has played on. I will say again it is close for both players, there is no its not even close. I just want to see Eichel have his chance playing with the same talent as other players. So when I see his stats close to Matthews, it just makes me wonder how much better is he. Logical question is it not?
no i agree with the premise. i want to see Eichel thrive under a competent offense/team.

what Eichel has done in such a crappy situation has impressed me a lot.

what you said is valid and maybe i am just projecting on you but that argument is usually shut down when it is used against certain players.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
no i agree with the premise. i want to see Eichel thrive under a competent offense/team.

what you said is valid and maybe i am just projecting on you but that argument is usually shut down when it is used against certain players.
I am a believer very good players make each other better, it's not just a one way street. So we agree here. Even Gretzky needed a great team to surround him so he could break all those records.

Reactions: CatchyTune

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So which one of 18/19's Kapanen, Marleau, and Johnsson would you take over 18/19's Skinner and Reinhart?
At the start of the 18-19 Season Kapanen wasn't even with Matthews in the Leafs first two games. He was with Marleau and Tyler Ennis and it was during their third game in Chicago when Kapanen got put onto Matthews line to replace Ennis when they were losing 2-0.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018

I think usually the issue when it’s brought up vs Drai in a Matthews comparison is that it’s often said Drai would only be around a PPG without McDavid and Matthews requires no adjustment at all because of his teammates/linemates. I agree it’s a factor for sure, however most if not all superstars benefit from another one on his team/line. And while yes McDavid is the best of the bunch to benefit from, it’s 130 pts down to 80-85 is a massive drop to give the other player in the comparison no drop at all.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I think usually the issue when it’s brought up vs Drai in a Matthews comparison is that it’s often said Drai would only be around a PPG without McDavid and Matthews requires no adjustment at all because of his teammates/linemates. I agree it’s a factor for sure, however most if not all superstars benefit from another one on his team/line. And while yes McDavid is the best of the bunch to benefit from, it’s 130 pts down to 80-85 is a massive drop to give the other player in the comparison no drop at all.
ive never said he would drop off that much. just a solid amount.

he had 51 of his points with Mcdavid last year. say half of those dont happen without him. thats 85 points in 71 games last year, a 98 point pace. which i think is a realistic outcome.

i really hope my Draisatl talk doesnt come off as me disliking him. really like him and he is one of the few fellow Germans in the league. just overrated/overhyped on these boards. seen posters saying he is a top 2/3 player in the league where in my eyes he is around 9 or 10.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
I am a believer very good players make each other better, it's not just a one way street. So we agree here. Even Gretzky needed a great team to surround him so he could break all those records.
Eh, Gretzky had 700 points more than any NHL player in the 1980's. Just mind-boggling.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
ive never said he would drop off that much. just a solid amount.

he had 51 of his points with Mcdavid last year. say half of those dont happen without him. thats 85 points in 71 games last year, a 98 point pace. which i think is a realistic outcome.

i really hope my Draisatl talk doesnt come off as me disliking him. really like him and he is one of the few fellow Germans in the league. just overrated/overhyped on these boards. seen posters saying he is a top 2/3 player in the league where in my eyes he is around 9 or 10.
Taking away half the points is a massive amount as well though. I’d agree that would be a reasonable amount if he were to play with a below average player, but if he were to play with a Marner level player I’d assume more of a 51 to 35-40 drop.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013

I think it's a fair question and I respect that. However Matthews was jerked around a ton with Babs for years, and was never featured as much on special teams (especially PP) as he should have. Eichel had everything flow through him (but with less talent around him yes) I guess this year with Hall (who has been league MVP) Eichel should show his worth.

I do think Matthews is the better player but I also love Eichel and I think both are not too far apart.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think it's a fair question and I respect that. However Matthews was jerked around a ton with Babs for years, and was never featured as much on special teams (especially PP) as he should have. Eichel had everything flow through him (but with less talent around him yes) I guess this year with Hall (who has been league MVP) Eichel should show his worth.

I do think Matthews is the better player but I also love Eichel and I think both are not too far apart.
Even before John Tavares signed in Toronto and that's what it took for Mike Babcock to load up the Leafs power play, he never even tried Matthews and Marner on the same power play line in their first two seasons.

Reactions: TopChedder

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If you look at their total points since Matthews rookie season this is what they were.

2016-17: Matthews 69 points, Eichel 57 points.

2017-18: Matthews 63 points, Eichel 64 points.

2018-19: Matthews 73 points, Eichel 82 points.

2019-20: Matthews 80 points, Eichel 78 points.

So in reality Matthews beat Eichel by a wider margin in 2016-17 since that was by a total of 12 points, where as in 2018-19 Eichel beat Matthews by 9 points. Last time I checked that means Matthews scoring 12 more points in his rookie season is more than when Eichel outscored Matthews by 9 points 2 years later.

yeh but Matthews is doing this on a stacked team and Eichel is doing this with a clown show team. Adjust those stats for quality of teammates and Eichel is way ahead. It’s just common sense.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
yeh but Matthews is doing this on a stacked team and Eichel is doing this with a clown show team. Adjust those stats for quality of teammates and Eichel is way ahead. It’s just common sense.

Babcock didn't play Matthews properly at all. Yes he had more talent around but his usage was HORRIBLE.

Jack played with less talent but everything flows through him in every situation.

Regardless he is playing with Hall this year so he should outscore Matthews by a lot.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Babcock didn't play Matthews properly at all. Yes he had more talent around but his usage was HORRIBLE.

Jack played with less talent but everything flows through him in every situation.

Regardless he is playing with Hall this year so he should outscore Matthews by a lot.

yeh but Matthews earned his usage early on by not being responsible or mature enough.

And I wouldn’t argue that Eichel with a newly acquired and still figuring out chemistry with Hall is any where close to Matthewss support by the entire stacked Leads team including Tavares and Marner.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
yeh but Matthews earned his usage early on by not being responsible or mature enough.

And I wouldn’t argue that Eichel with a newly acquired and still figuring out chemistry with Hall is any where close to Matthewss support by the entire stacked Leads team including Tavares and Marner.

K I get it. You don't like Matthews.

It's completely fine. I am still a big fan of Eichel and think he is a hell of a player. I always defend him on here.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
K I get it. You don't like Matthews.

It's completely fine. I am still a big fan of Eichel and think he is a hell of a player. I always defend him on here.

I got no issues with Matthews and my views on him vs Eichel stand on their merit.

It’s just like people hand waiving away people who thought Matthews wasn’t generational like McDavid despite all of leads nation pushing that narrative right around when Auston hit us all with the four.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Toronto was not a stacked team in Matthews first two seasons and that only happened after they signed Tavares when he played his third season.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Toronto was not a stacked team in Matthews first two seasons and that only happened after they signed Tavares when he played his third season.

No use trying to debate him. Matthews has always been a step ahead. I even tried to explain how terrible his usage was under Babs lol but that poster tells me it's "common sense" that Eichel would be way ahead in points if the roles were reversed (while also provided no mathematical analysis of this claim)

Matthews would get his points on any team in any situation. Some players just have that ability.

In saying all that I also think Eichel is insane and a fantastic player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad