Eichel vs Matthews

Who would you take moving forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So why don't you acknowledge when Matthews beat Eichel in PPG during the 2017-18 Season and 2018-19 Season?
He didn't beat him in 2018-19 which was the post I was replying to, again try to follow the posts that I reply to. It would save you from asking these questions. Matthews had a better PPG average but Eichel beat him in points by a wide margin.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He didn't beat him in 2018-19 which was the post I was replying to, again try to follow the posts that I reply to. It would save you from asking these questions. Matthews had a better PPG average but Eichel beat him in points by a wide margin.
If you look at their total points since Matthews rookie season this is what they were.

2016-17: Matthews 69 points, Eichel 57 points.

2017-18: Matthews 63 points, Eichel 64 points.

2018-19: Matthews 73 points, Eichel 82 points.

2019-20: Matthews 80 points, Eichel 78 points.

So in reality Matthews beat Eichel by a wider margin in 2016-17 since that was by a total of 12 points, where as in 2018-19 Eichel beat Matthews by 9 points. Last time I checked that means Matthews scoring 12 more points in his rookie season is more than when Eichel outscored Matthews by 9 points 2 years later.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If you look at their total points since Matthews rookie season this is what they were.

So in reality Matthews beat Eichel by a wider margin in 2016-17 since that was by a total of 12 points, where as in 2018-19 Eichel beat Matthews by 9 points. Last time I checked that means Matthews scoring 12 more points in his rookie season is more than when Eichel outscored Matthews by 9 points 2 years later.
Well Eichel did play 21 less games than Matthews in 16-17, but yes Matthews beat him by 12 points 4 years ago. Eichel beat Matthews by 9 points just 2 years ago.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

But wouldn't you say Eichel was just unlucky and maybe if he didn't go on some scoreless droughts he would have scored 100 points all four of those years? If that happened he would have beaten Matthews quite easily all four years.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Dache

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
In the 2018-19 Season Matthews only played in 68 games, so does that same excuse apply to him since your using that for Eichel in the 2016-17 Season?
No one is using it as an excuse, did I not just agree Matthews had more points than Eichel in 16-17, 4 years ago. Just as Eichel had 9 more points than Matthews in 18-19 only 2 years ago where Eichel played only 77 games and he did it on a worse team with lesser line mates.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No one is using it as an excuse, did I not just agree Matthews had more points than Eichel in 16-17, 4 years ago. Just as Eichel had 9 more points than Matthews in 18-19 only 2 years ago where Eichel played only 77 games.
Except you originally said how when Eichel outscored Matthews in points it was by a wide margin. However that turned out to be in correct since I showed you how Matthews outscored him by 12 points in 16-17 compared to the 9 points Eichel did in 18-19.

Matthews had a better PPG average but Eichel beat him in points by a wide margin.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Except you originally said how when Eichel outscored Matthews in points it was by a wide margin. However that turned out to be in correct since I showed you how Matthews outscored him by 12 points in 16-17 compared to the 9 points Eichel did in 18-19.
9 points is a wide and more recent margin. I didn't post about 2016-17, you did, it's so long ago, both players have evolved that they not the same players. You seem to be stuck on Matthews rookie season still, Matthews is not a rookie anymore. Why are you stuck?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
9 points is a wide and more recent margin. I didn't post about 2016-17, you did, it's so long ago, both players have evolved that they not the same players. You seem to be stuck on Matthews rookie season still, Matthews is not a rookie anymore. Why are you stuck?
Yes 9 points is a wide margin. However no matter what the 12 points Matthews outscored Eichel in 16-17 is a bigger number.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yes 9 points is a wide margin. However no matter what the 12 points Matthews outscored Eichel in 16-17 is a bigger number.
Most people focus on more recent play, but if you want to live in Matthews rookie 69 pt season, cool. No need to quote me then. Most would rather discuss players when they evolve closer to a finished product, and in 18-19, Eichel outscored Matthews by 9 points. It's in the record books, so no one can make the claim he has not, which was what I replied to originally.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Most people focus on more recent play, but if you want to live in Matthews rookie 69 pt season, cool. No need to quote me then. Most would rather discuss players when they evolve closer to a finished product, and in 18-19, Eichel outscored Matthews by 9 points. It's in the record books, so no one can make the claim he has not, which was what I replied to originally.
I never denied the fact that Eichel outscored Matthews by those 9 points. I'm just saying if you think it's relevant to bring that up even though it was 2 seasons ago, there is nothing wrong with me saying Matthews outscoring him by 12 points in the 16-17 Season.

It's just weird how you bring up Eichel's PPG being better than Matthews when he did not outscore Matthews in total points.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
Eichel still beat him. Injuries are part of the game, Matthews is not the only player to lose a player to player comparison due to losing games due to being injured.

As I said, Eichel had a better PPG last year, too bad the pandemic postponed the regular season.
so 2 years ago points was more important but last year points per game was more important

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I never denied the fact that Eichel outscored Matthews by those 9 points. I'm just saying if you think it's relevant to bring that up even though it was 2 seasons ago, there is nothing wrong with me saying Matthews outscoring him by 12 points in the 16-17 Season.

It's just weird how you bring up Eichel's PPG being better than Matthews when he did not outscore Matthews in total points.
Not weird at all, considering how you often post if Matthews had not gone on a scoreless streak he would scored 50, or if he hadn't missed games, he would have won the Rocket. You know, when someone replies to you using your own arguments does not necessarily mean they it is better. It's weird that that you use missing games for Matthews not winning the Rocket, but do not entertain the same argument in other threads like Laine having a better PPG average than Matthews in their rookie seasons right? BTW I voted Matthews in the calder voting thread before the award was announced. Laine would have probably scored more points had he played the same games Matthews played, But real production is what matters. You don't win awards on P/60 or P/GP playing 3/4 of a season barring something remarkable. The facts are Eichel in the last full season was 9 points better than Matthews in 18-19, no one can post he has never outproduced Matthews.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
so 2 years ago points was more important but last year points per game was more important
Obcourse last year matters, 2 points more in 2 games, Matthews had the advantage of the season being called. But teammates matter, quality of teams matter. Asking questions of whether Matthews could do the same with what Eichel has had to work with his career matters too. There are considerations, just as this year. Matthews plays in the North, Eichel in the East. It's different levels of competition. It all matters if one is truthfully looking at both players.

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
Obcourse last year matters, 2 points more in 2 games, Matthews had the advantage of the season being called. But teammates matter, quality of teams matter. Asking questions of whether Matthews could do the same with what Eichel has had to work with his career matters too. There are considerations, just as this year. Matthews plays in the North, Eichel in the East. It's different levels of competition. It all matters if one is truthfully looking at both players.

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
so Eichel got more points 2 years ago but a lower ppg which you dismissed but last year you used ppg to show that he had the better year. Stick to one stat. and you argue that leaf fans cherry pick stats

Reactions: Sundinisagod

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
so Eichel got more points 2 years ago but a lower ppg which you dismissed but last year you used ppg to show that he had the better year. Stick to one stat. and you argue that leaf fans cherry pick stats
Actually 9 more points 2 years ago, and I have been consistent. Production beats projection. This is why I voted Matthews for the Calder in the voting thread despite Laine having a PPG average in their rookie years so you are wrong there. But to some posters that like to use PPG or P/60 or G/60 in their arguments. It's fair game on here.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Not weird at all, considering how you often post if Matthews had not gone on a scoreless streak he would scored 50, or if he hadn't missed games, he would have won the Rocket. You know, when someone replies to you using your own arguments does not necessarily mean they it is better. It's weird that that you use missing games for Matthews not winning the Rocket, but do not entertain the same argument in other threads like Laine having a better PPG average than Matthews in their rookie seasons right? BTW I voted Matthews in the calder voting thread before the award was announced. Laine would have probably scored more points had he played the same games Matthews played, But real production is what matters. You don't win awards on P/60 or P/GP playing 3/4 of a season barring something remarkable. The facts are Eichel in the last full season was 9 points better than Matthews in 18-19, no one can post he has never outproduced Matthews.
I'm still wondering why you think it's relevant when Eichel outscored Matthews by those 9 points in the 18-19 Season, however when Matthews outscored him by 12 points in 16-17 Season it was too long ago.

Also in both those examples Eichel was injured and missed games in 16-17, where as Matthews was injured and missed games in 18-19.

Well Eichel did play 21 less games than Matthews in 16-17, but yes Matthews beat him by 12 points 4 years ago. Eichel beat Matthews by 9 points just 2 years ago.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm still wondering why you think it's relevant when Eichel outscored Matthews by those 9 points in the 18-19 Season, however when Matthews outscored him by 12 points in 16-17 Season it was too long ago.

See the post I replied to?
Matthews is clearly beating Eichel at every level in their careers,
This is why it is relevant. All it took was following a discussion before asking.

Eichel vs Matthews

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
See the post I replied to?
This is why it is relevant. All it took was following a discussion before asking.

Eichel vs Matthews
So how come you mentioned Eichel missing games in 16-17 when Matthews outscored him in points, however you did not give Matthews the same benefit of the doubt when he was injured and missed games in 18-19 when Eichel outscored him in points.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So how come you mentioned Eichel missing games in 16-17 when Matthews outscored him in points, however you did not give Matthews the same benefit of the doubt when he was injured and missed games in 18-19 when Eichel outscored him in points.
I mentioned both in my reply to you, are you having difficulty remembering? Do you want to use PPG as you selectively have in other threads? Just tell me which argument you are choosing in this thread.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I mentioned both in my reply to you, are you having difficulty remembering? Do you want to use PPG as you selective have in other threads? Just tell me which way you want to argue in this thread.
Please show me where you mentioned Matthews injuries and the games he missed in 18-19 when Eichel outscored him by those 9 points because I don't see it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Please show me where you mentioned Matthews injuries and the games he missed in 18-19 when Eichel outscored him by those 9 points because I don't see it.
Boy it is really that hard to follow? You mentioned it. I agreed and used the same criteria for both players.
Eichel vs Matthews

So again when I answered the post about when the poster posted Eichel has never outproduced Matthews, I was correct right? Eichel did in 2018-19 by 9 points, so no one can make that claim correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad