Who would you take moving forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Still stacked just not as stacked.
In Matthews first season besides him being a rookie it was also the rookie years for Mitch Marner, William Nylander, Zach Hyman, Connor Brown, and Nikita Zaitsev. So I wouldn't call them a stacked team that had also finished last place overall in the 2015-16 Season.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
In Matthews first season besides him being a rookie it was also the rookie years for Mitch Marner, William Nylander, Zach Hyman, Connor Brown, and Nikita Zaitsev. So I wouldn't call them a stacked team that had also finished last place overall in the 2015-16 Season.

I would. Cause in today’s NHL being a rookie isn’t a huge disadvantage. When your good, your good, many players prove every single year that from day one they can and are very good despite “rookie” status.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I got no issues with Matthews and my views on him vs Eichel stand on their merit.

It’s just like people hand waiving away people who thought Matthews wasn’t generational like McDavid despite all of leads nation pushing that narrative right around when Auston hit us all with the four.

Do you have short term memory loss? Because you’re posts in the Matthews goal streak thread suggest you have issues with Matthews.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I would. Cause in today’s NHL being a rookie isn’t a huge disadvantage. When your good, your good, many players prove every single year that from day one they can and are very good despite “rookie” status.

Dude. No offense but what is your end game here? Most people on this chat respect both these players a lot but you seem to be really going out of your way to crap on one.

Both players are awesome. End of story.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Matthews enjoys a big advantage in 2 way play, not to mention large gap in goalscoring, higher ppg , playdriving, all while being the younger player. Skinner, Reinhardt, Ollofson are all quality players ( or were at the time) that Eichel got to play with prior to former MVP Hall landing in Buffalo. Hardly seems to be suffering from lack of talent. Matthews has flourished no matter who his linemates have been throughout his career.

Last edited:

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Matthews enjoys a big advantage in 2 way play, not to mention large gap in goalscoring, ppg , playdriving, all while being the younger player. Skinner, Reinhardt, Ollofson are all quality players ( or were at the time) that Eichel got to play with prior to former MVP Hall landing in Buffalo. Hardly seems to be suffering from lack of talent. Matthews has flourished no matter who his linemates have been throughout his career.

Is this real life?

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
It must get confusing sometimes. But there is no reality right now where Eichel could be seen as a better two way player than Matthews

Thats fine, but "big advantage"? You made it sound like he is Bergeron or something.
Large gap in playdriving and PPG?
Im sure Sabres fan would trade you high quality forward Jeff Skinner for free. They'll even add some picks.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Thats fine, but "big advantage"? You made it sound like he is Bergeron or something.
Im sure Sabres fan would trade you high quality forward Jeff Skinner for free. They'll even add some picks.
I'll admit I'm not sure the how the other poster would quantify "big advantage", but Bergeron is extreme. There is a whole range to consider. Imo, I'd put Matthews as really good defensively while Eichel is average. Certainly greater than the difference offensively.

And I'm thinking the "at the time" @TheKrebsCycle is alluding to is the time where Skinner was a 40 goal scorer in Buffalo.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
I'll admit I'm not sure the how the other poster would quantify "big advantage", but Bergeron is extreme. There is a whole range to consider. Imo, I'd put Matthews as really good defensively while Eichel is average. Certainly greater than the difference offensively.

And I'm thinking the "at the time" @TheKrebsCycle is alluding to is the time where Skinner was a 40 goal scorer in Buffalo.

He was 40 goal scorer on Eichel wing and barely NHLer on other lines. So this is weak anti Eichel argument.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

He seems to be pretty good at 2 way play this year. These are 5v5 numbers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210209-074307_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210209-074307_Chrome.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 5

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Is this real life?

Skinner was a 30 ( and twice more on Carolina) goal scorer as a rookie far before Eichel was in the league. But sure I guess he was a trash linemate that Eichel made . He's unquestionably a better goalscorer, is a better 2 way player player , higher ppg , younger etc. Anything to dispute any of this or you just highlighting and running?

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
He was 40 goal scorer on Eichel wing and barely NHLer on other lines. So this is weak anti Eichel argument.

Lol he was a 3 time 30 goal scorer without Eichel , try again. He was a bonefide scorer prior to being acquired In what are typically prime years. Whiff. He was coming off years of 37 and 28 goals the 2 preceeding years to the trade. He was 25 . Enough with the myth that GM Jack hasn't played with skilled linemates.

Last edited:

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

I didn't mention Bergeron. One of these players is good ( not elite) defensively, while the other is avg /below avg (Eichel). To add to the other advantages Matthews enjoys

Reactions: Atomos2

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
That just how I interpreted it. You can ask him to clarify if you want.

Either way, my argument is the difference in defense is significantly greater than the difference in offense. Which is why I voted Matthews is better.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
That just how I interpreted it. You can ask him to clarify if you want.

Either way, my argument is the difference in defense is significantly greater than the difference in offense. Which is why I voted Matthews is better.

He was gift wrapped a multiple 30 goal scorer on his wing. I've tried to clarify above. 25 year old 3 time 30 goal scorer. But sure he wasn't anything before he got to Buffalo. ‍♂️

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Matthews is certainly widening the gap.
Well Eichel and Buffalo have not played since Jan 31. Matthews will have played 4 games before Eichel's next game. So this is to be expected. Regardless, Matthews has 15 pts, Eichel has 11 pts and he has not played in over a week in a tougher defensive division.

Mar 26, 2010
Well Eichel and Buffalo have not played since Jan 31. Matthews will have played 4 games before Eichel's next game. So this is to be expected. Regardless, Matthews has 15 pts, Eichel has 11 pts and he has not played in over a week in a tougher defensive division.
I was not taking a shot at Eichel. He is a world class player.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
That's fair enough. I am just pointing out Eichel has not played a game since January 31st partly due to 2 cancelled games. So it is not really a surprise he is stuck on 11 points on the season.

I took it as him meaning widening the gap as players , not necessarily pt totals. The goalscoring gap is especially stark (11 vs 2).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad