Eichel vs. Matthews part 347

Who is a better player

• Eichel

• Matthews

Results are only viewable after voting.

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Matthews dissapears too much for my liking so id take Eichal. He is noticible more and is more dynamic/entertaining.

Also im surprised how much Matthews ppg fell i thought he was at like 2 ppg earlier. He mustve had long cold stretches.

Matthews disappears? Have you ever watched a leafs game? If he’s not making an impact scoring he’s playing amazing defence and is always involved

I’m also a big fan of eichel

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
search

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Eichel vs Matthews part 5: the last chance of Eichel ever staying relevant in this comparison.

Reactions: Volcanologist

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Eichel vs Matthews part 5: the last chance of Eichel ever staying relevant in this comparison.
I'm a Leaf fan, Eichel is definitely relevant in this comparison. He's not the one I would take currently, but they tier together for the last 3 seasons, and that's not a knock on Matthews, Eichel is living up to his hype

Reactions: nofehr

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I see Eichel as more talented, he’s such a unique style of playmaker, but he relies on others to finish, despite his incredible wrist shot. Matthews can be more independently physically dominating, he can drive the net on his own like few others can, so he ends up finishing more of his own opportunities.

I think Eichel’s style will have more longevity, his vision and playmaking ability will persevere into his 30s when these guys become less physically dominant with age. Matthews May have the higher peak and will probably almost always score more goals.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Matthews. He has scored points at a higher clip so far in their careers (205 in 212 games vs 259 in 286 games) and scores goals at a much greater pace (111 goals in 212 games vs 101 goals in 286 games).

Matthews has just been more offensively productive. The only thing going for Eichel right now is that he at least managed to play more games this year, although both these guys are compiling injury histories.

doorbag

Jun 26, 2008
Matthews disappears? Have you ever watched a leafs game? If he’s not making an impact scoring he’s playing amazing defence and is always involved

Worst +/- on his team (-9) and the Leafs have a +35 goal differential. I think we can safely say that Matthews isn’t playing very good defence.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I see Eichel as more talented, he’s such a unique style of playmaker, but he relies on others to finish, despite his incredible wrist shot. Matthews can be more independently physically dominating, he can drive the net on his own like few others can, so he ends up finishing more of his own opportunities.

I think Eichel’s style will have more longevity, his vision and playmaking ability will persevere into his 30s when these guys become less physically dominant with age. Matthews May have the higher peak and will probably almost always score more goals.

Matthews has out produced Eichel at EVERY level. It’s always been Matthews by a small bit.

Reactions: Voight

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Matthews has out produced Eichel at EVERY level. It’s always been Matthews by a small bit.

Anything pre-NHL is fairly insignificant IMO.

Unless you hold much value in D-2 years or small sample tournaments...

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
If that’s what you’re going to limit yourself to, why are you replying to me. You apparently think it’s ridiculous to even have the poll. I do not think it’s ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Matthews dissapears too much for my liking so id take Eichal. He is noticible more and is more dynamic/entertaining.

Also im surprised how much Matthews ppg fell i thought he was at like 2 ppg earlier. He mustve had long cold stretches.

It's not as much about "disappearing" as it is about him getting tired. His PPG always drops significantly when he plays consecutive games.

Auston Matthews PPG graph in every game streak.png

Reactions: flamesforcup

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
jack-eichel-skate-kirkham-1260x800.jpg

If your team was just trying to get to the playoffs, you'd have to take Eichel.

But if you're trying to win it all, maybe it's the other way.

Eichel seems to be a loser with extremely weak mental attributes.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Anything pre-NHL is fairly insignificant IMO.

Unless you hold much value in D-2 years or small sample tournaments...

Sure if you want to disregard an 18 year old Matthews scoring 46 points in 36 games in one of Europes top leagues, playing against adults.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Sure if you want to disregard an 18 year old Matthews scoring 46 points in 36 games in one of Europes top leagues, playing against adults.

And Eichel had a superb season in the NCAA

That's not a direct comparison so it's not much value

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
Close yet comfortably Auston Matthews for me.

Based on the analytics (ice time, how efficient he is at getting points/goals) and eye test, I think he's bound to explode in production at some point say like Nathan MacKinnon did.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Against arguably lesser competition. Eichel had a great year sure but he played against 18-24 year olds. Context.

You can't objectively say either player had a better D-1 year is my point.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
You can't objectively say either player had a better D-1 year is my point.
That is true. It is however the one year in their lives in which they are not directly comparable and Matthews out performed in all the others.

Maybe you are thinking that one year was a wonder year that will pay dividends 5 years from now but it seems like a reach.

Reactions: Voight

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Did this season get any closer to deciding who of the oft compared players is better?

Matthews finished with more goals and a negligible 0.01 higher PPG.
Eichel is the better player maker who plays on a worse offensive team.

Auston Matthews 68GP 37G 36A 73P 1.07 PPG - 9

Jack Eichel 77GP 28G 54A 82P 1.06 PPG -11

Add on defensive metrics.

5v5 GA60

Matthews 3.41
Eichel 3.25

Neither were great defensively this past season. I don't think either had a great season this year.

Going fwd as 10M x 8 and 11.634M x 5 cap hits and taking this into account. They will both need to be better.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
That is true. It is however the one year in their lives in which they are not directly comparable and Matthews out performed in all the others.

Maybe you are thinking that one year was a wonder year that will pay dividends 5 years from now but it seems like a reach.

No, I'm saying that anything pre-NHL is barely worth discussing. You have to go back to D-2 to find comparable years and even then there's a lot of variables. Just doesn't hold a lot of weight.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
No, I'm saying that anything pre-NHL is barely worth discussing. You have to go back to when they were 16 to find comparable years and even then there's a lot of variables.
Fair enough, but there is a large enough sample size to spot a trend.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

I’m also a big fan of eichel
Matthews isn’t amazing defensively and he definitely always isn’t involved and I’ve seen him countless times. He’s not as noticeable as Eichel either

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There is no argument for Eichel, the guy can't even get out of the bottom 10

Where as Matthews never misses the playoffs.

The answer is Matthews and until Eichel gets his team to the playoffs, or at least mikes Buffalo a threat for the playoffs, or shows any progress at all it will always be Matthews

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad