Eichel vs. Matthews part 347

Who is a better player

• Eichel

• Matthews

Results are only viewable after voting.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
If that’s what you’re going to limit yourself to, why are you replying to me. You apparently think it’s ridiculous to even have the poll. I do not think it’s ridiculous.

It is ridiculous to have this poll because it’s been done over 5 times with Matthews winning every time. There’s nothing Eichel has done to overtake Matthews and we’re in year 3 now. It’s really the 99 cent vs dollar argument. So close yet you’d take the dollar every time.

I’d Eichel had a better ppg by a good margin this year, then I think this would of been a more interesting poll, but he didn’t.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Matthews did get his team tot he playoffs in his rookie year. He was the reason they improved, I really don’t think the Leafs make it in 2017 if they had Laine or someone else.

Reactions: Caitlyn Jenner

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Eichel. I've always preferred him to Matthews. Much better skater.

Both are very good players and among the better centers in the league.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
With respect to Eichel, I'm taking the guy with the higher PPG (career and this past season), who scores dramatically more goals and has played playoff games every season of his career over a guy who has a better contract.

They're both franchise players, but I think that there's something about Eichel's game that makes it harder to find the right players to play with him.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Add on defensive metrics.

5v5 GA60

Matthews 3.41
Eichel 3.25

Neither were great defensively this past season. I don't think either had a great season this year.

Going fwd as 10M x 8 and 11.634M x 5 cap hits and taking this into account. They will both need to be better.
people love to bring up Matthews 5v5 GA60 this year but always fail to mention that he suffered from an abysmal 90.1 oiSV% at 5v5 this year as well. Always fun to cherry pick stats without applying proper context though :thumbu:

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Eichel gets an extra 2 mins a game more than Matthews. That's like playing more than 8 more games a season. Eichel also has much better linemates.

I'm not a big fan of either to be honest but it's easily Matthews for me.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
There is no argument for Eichel, the guy can't even get out of the bottom 10

Where as Matthews never misses the playoffs.

The answer is Matthews and until Eichel gets his team to the playoffs, or at least mikes Buffalo a threat for the playoffs, or shows any progress at all it will always be Matthews
Of all the things you could prop up Matthews over Eichel for, of which there are plenty, this is certainly not one of them. IIRC, neither team has shown much variance in win% with their respective guy out of the lineup, so Matthews hasn't been singlehandedly dragging Toronto into the playoffs every year. It's actually an absurd premise.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
You can go either way. Jack plays against top lines every single shift and doesn't get to share tough matchups with Tavares. Matthews has a better all around game. Offensive games are similar in production but vastly different in style. If anything, this season showed that they are in the same tier and that the comparison is very valid.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Too close to call now. I would have gone with Matthews in previous seasons, but Eichel is catching up. Pretty exciting time for both Buffalo and Toronto fans.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
They're similar in the sense that when they're on, they go into god mode, but they have trouble sustaining that level of play.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Matthews is living the glamorous lifestyle most young people dream of, he's rich, famous, and hip, and runs in elite social circles in a huge city. Has his face plastered on fashion magazines and billboards. He's basically living the movie star lifestyle, as soon as he steps out of his condo he's surrounded by people worshiping the ground he walks on and dozens of supermodels clinging to him. He is a king.

Meanwhile, Eichel is just as rich, but he's not good-looking and fashionable, all he gets out of it is a big house in the suburbs in a city no one wants to be in. He may as well be a farmer.

Reactions: Caitlyn Jenner

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Matthews is living the glamorous lifestyle most young people dream of, he's rich, famous, and hip, and runs in elite social circles in a huge city. Has his face plastered on fashion magazines and billboards. He's basically living the movie star lifestyle, as soon as he steps out of his condo he's surrounded by people worshiping the ground he walks on and dozens of supermodels clinging to him. He is a king.

Meanwhile, Eichel is just as rich, but he's not good-looking and fashionable, all he gets out of it is a big house in the suburbs in a city no one wants to be in. He may as well be a farmer.
There's no hyperbole here

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014

lol wtf is this post?

Reactions: kundahlini

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

I think that's just you ;)

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Eichel gets an extra 2 mins a game more than Matthews. That's like playing more than 8 more games a season. Eichel also has much better linemates.

I'm not a big fan of either to be honest but it's easily Matthews for me.

You're not too high on Matthews despite being a Leafs fan?

Reactions: Golden Puppers

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
07C92618-637C-433F-AD6A-C3C662A16775.png
people love to bring up Matthews 5v5 GA60 this year but always fail to mention that he suffered from an abysmal 90.1 oiSV% at 5v5 this year as well. Always fun to cherry pick stats without applying proper context though :thumbu:

Maybe that sv% has something to do with Matthews not playing defense? Just a theory I have though.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Die hard Leafs fan but Matthews is crazily overrated. He's way better than Eichel though.
Then Matthews probably isn't overrated if you think he's way better than Eichel. Both are likely to be staples in the top 10 centers in the league for the next decade, and if Matthews can stay healthy and gets top PP minutes he should make at least one or two runs at the Richard Trophy.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
while I agree, this is unfair to Eichel as his team is trash

we have seen AM in important games and was a no-show. we'll see what he does now
Matthews was also really good in the Washington series, and is 16th in the league in game winning goals since he entered the league despite less games played than every player above him on the list, so I don't think it's a fair statement to say that he no-shows to important games/situations. Boston neutralized him last year in a 7 game sample, it's not usually a wise decision to draw big conclusions from small samples especially when the small sample results contradict the larger sample results.

He was the first priority of the team defense of a really good first round opponent last year too, Boston deserves some credit in that series

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->