Eichel trade (mod edit: as in, why do people want one?)

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA
How are so many people trying to justify shipping him out? Aside from it being mostly impossible, he's still the best player on the team. Sure, the last month+ has been depressing but trading Jack is giving up and starting from scratch, again. Jack, Sam, Dahlin, and hopefully Jeff are a nice core.

Trading Jack for a bunch of new stuff is not the answer.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
How are so many people trying to justify shipping him out? Aside from it being mostly impossible, he's still the best player on the team. Sure, the last month+ has been depressing but trading Jack is giving up and starting from scratch, again. Jack, Sam, Dahlin, and hopefully Jeff are a nice core.

To answer: Emotional status.

Reactions: pf8363 and MrMaster

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I've thought about it. Hard to make a trade that makes sense. Only possibility is a trade with a struggling team like us where we just exchange #1 centers hoping change brings winning.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I've thought about it. Hard to make a trade that makes sense. Only possibility is a trade with a struggling team like us where we just exchange #1 centers hoping change brings winning.

I can think of a few bubble teams that would probably take you up on Eichel
see:
Carolina (Pesce, Faulk, Ferland)
Minnesota (Staal,Ericksson ek, Suter, Parise)
Columbus (Snicker) (not even gonna bother lol)
Montreal (Drouin, Domi)
Colorado (Barrie maybe?)
Dallas (Radulov, Benn, Seguin)

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
How are so many people trying to justify shipping him out?

I'm probably going to take some heat for this -- but I think a lot of it stems from him not being a "Buffalo Boy". He's not the salt-of-the-earth, hard-working, keep-your-head-down guy. He whines and sulks a bit on the ice (and a bit off the ice). He doesn't always appear to be working hard on the ice. He doesn't appear as though he's always "trying". He's not a "leader". He's a high-talent, high-priced athlete who hasn't single-handedly won games. That type just does NOT go over well in Buffalo. It just doesn't. He's not going to be given any slack for being 22. Or that the teams around him have largely sucked. Or that he battled 2 high ankle sprains in 2 years. He hasn't won, hasn't made the playoffs and doesn't have that "Buffalo attitude". Therefore, he is a/the problem and must go.

Also consider -- who was the last Sabre to be universally adored by Buffalo, as a community? Drury? Briere? Hasek? LaFontaine? Perrault? Has it ever truly happened, the way Buffalo adored Jim Kelly or Thurman Thomas or OJ Simpson (pre-killings) or Jack Kemp?

Do I agree with the above? Heck no. Absolutely not. Eichel is a piece you lock onto long-term, wait for him to mature and develop and build around him. You can see that starting to happen here (thanks, lottery for Dahlin).

I think a lot of the "trade Eichel" noise around is more attitude-based than it as anything else.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I complain a lot about Jack, especially recently.

I have very high expectations for Jack, that will get higher.

I wouldn’t trade Jack for anything rationally. You give me McDavid, or possibly your teams 3-4 best young pieces, sure. Otherwise, no chance at all.

He’s frustrating, but he’s still a superstar.

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA
If you stack him against Mathews, they're having nearly identical seasons. Jack's overall supporting cast is rough. It's coming. I get that this team has had a terrible decade and Terry isn't a great owner, but we need patience

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Jack doesn't go full-bore like the goat-goat-goats do, but he's not a lazy hockey player. His skating posture, however, straight-back with all power generation from his edges, especially while conserving energy for timely bursts, LOOKS incredibly lazy. This gets tolerated when we win hockey games, but if we lose, even if Jack's production gets better (see the ~15 games after the streak compared to the streak) it becomes the focal point of people's ire.

I wish Jack played with his hair on fire the way McDavid does, but his intensity level is no different from the greats who are just fine effort-wise. It's understandable to wish he was that much better.

And sometimes, yes, he needs to go harder, and isn't even "just fine." This is the case for all players, and only leads to calls to trade Jack because he's the captain of the titanic post-iceberg.

Maybe when we trade Jack and Sam, and have impeccable effort and locker room dynamics, we can accomplish our goal of looking like the tank teams we are desperately trying, and failing, to distance ourselves from.

Reactions: sabremike

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
He might benefit from a coach with some experience handling superstars and one that might carry a proverbial whip.
I'm thinking specifically of Joel Quenville.

Jack needs to be held accountable and the occasional swift kick in the rear.

Reactions: brian_griffin

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA
Jack doesn't go full-bore like the goat-goat-goats do, but he's not a lazy hockey player. His skating posture, however, straight-back with all power generation from his edges, especially while conserving energy for timely bursts, LOOKS incredibly lazy. This gets tolerated when we win hockey games, but if we lose, even if Jack's production gets better (see the ~15 games after the streak compared to the streak) it becomes the focal point of people's ire.

I wish Jack played with his hair on fire the way McDavid does, but his intensity level is no different from the greats who are just fine effort-wise. It's understandable to wish he was that much better.

And sometimes, yes, he needs to go harder, and isn't even "just fine." This is the case for all players, and only leads to calls to trade Jack because he's the captain of the titanic post-iceberg.

Maybe when we trade Jack and Sam, and have impeccable effort and locker room dynamics, we can accomplish our goal of looking like the tank teams we are desperately trying, and failing, to distance ourselves from.

And maybe we can get the best effort coach EVER back. I know Ted Nolan can do it! <sarcasm>

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
No, no, no, no. You just do not trade Eichel.

But he is not a messiah and he's not beyond legitimate criticism.

Yeah, legitimate needs to be defined for some.

Bottom line. He is the face of the Sabres now and into the future. Now surround him with some skill and talent.

End of story.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Is this a thing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad