Eichel trade (mod edit: as in, why do people want one?)

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Every fanbase has “those” fans. The reason it seems like so many people are calling for it is because you read it and think how absurd it is.

Reactions: joshjull

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I do wonder what they will do when Eichel says he lost the love of the game in his locker cleanout interview.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm probably going to take some heat for this -- but I think a lot of it stems from him not being a "Buffalo Boy". He's not the salt-of-the-earth, hard-working, keep-your-head-down guy. He whines and sulks a bit on the ice (and a bit off the ice). He doesn't always appear to be working hard on the ice. He doesn't appear as though he's always "trying". He's not a "leader". He's a high-talent, high-priced athlete who hasn't single-handedly won games. That type just does NOT go over well in Buffalo. It just doesn't. He's not going to be given any slack for being 22. Or that the teams around him have largely sucked. Or that he battled 2 high ankle sprains in 2 years. He hasn't won, hasn't made the playoffs and doesn't have that "Buffalo attitude". Therefore, he is a/the problem and must go.

Also consider -- who was the last Sabre to be universally adored by Buffalo, as a community? Drury? Briere? Hasek? LaFontaine? Perrault? Has it ever truly happened, the way Buffalo adored Jim Kelly or Thurman Thomas or OJ Simpson (pre-killings) or Jack Kemp?

Do I agree with the above? Heck no. Absolutely not. Eichel is a piece you lock onto long-term, wait for him to mature and develop and build around him. You can see that starting to happen here (thanks, lottery for Dahlin).

I think a lot of the "trade Eichel" noise around is more attitude-based than it as anything else.

I’d say it has almost everything to do with us sucking and Jack being the best player and expected to “carry” the team. I’d throw in some ignorance to boot since no NHL skater is carrying a team anywhere. But I don’t really hear or see much of what you're talking about (not being a Buffalo boy) at all with my family, friends or co-workers when we talk Sabres.

But I do see it here where negativity is the currency of the realm and oozes from this forum like pus. Its an echo chamber of understandably frustrated fans who vent on all the players to varying degrees, even the younger ones. Sam gets it as bad as Jack does. Mitts gets pummeled, etc.

The trade Jack stuff to me is frustrated fans on here aiming that frustration at Jack. Hoping for a magic bullet trade to make everything better.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
People are ridiculous and emotional. The aftermath of such a trade would cause us all to become Vulcans so our emotions could never destroy us again.

If we trade Eichel anytime soon, I would most likely only peripherally follow the Sabres for a number of years. I just wouldn't be able to invest energy into them

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Trading Eichel would render the tank years moot. It would be a slap in the face of fans who watched almost every game despite the bad roster and the bad coaching. I know this is a hypothetical situation, but if the team ever made this move instead of hiring a new coach....they might lose me.

Reactions: Zman5778

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Trading Eichel would render the tank years moot. It would be a slap in the face of fans who watched almost every game despite the bad roster and the bad coaching. I know this is a hypothetical situation, but if the team ever made this move instead of hiring a new coach....they might lose me.
Suppose they traded Eichel and Risto for McDavid? I'd love to see that. That's why I say the hell with the players, cheer for the logo. :laugh:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Not entertaining trades for him because he was the reward for tanking is a brutal way to operate.

I’m not saying we should deal him...at all...but we shouldn’t be opposed to it simply and solely because of when/where he was drafted.

Proceed.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
No one. This is a straw man thread.

Exactly. I fear Jack eventually someday getting upset and wanting out, but I haven't seen anyone actually proposing it on this board.

NHL Trade Forum? Yeah, something that wisely was closed within moments of being opened because it's not happening.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I'd love a team of Vulcan Sabres. Physically stronger than humans. Copper-based instead of iron-based blood gives them far greater stamina / oxygen efficiency.
Some would say you're out of your vulcan mind but that alien they hired to coach the Bills is working out ok.

Simon-Bard-Parkes-Of-Whitby.-His-Mothers-An-Alien-You-Know.png

Sean McDermott before he gets dressed.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
There's plenty of scenerios i'd be fine trading him. But they probly aren't realistic with his contract and what we'd want coming back. Even something realistic would still be a solid over payment.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Hypothetically... say Eichel was a primadonna behind the scenes. Say it so bad that the front office and ownership feel his attitude may be part of what is holding this team back from developing the chemistry they need to succeed.

Now even if this hypothetical situation happened to be true you would still never consider trading the face of your franchise right?

But what if in the year you weren't trying to tank, you ended up with the 1st pick anyway. And what if in that year there happened to be another "generational talent" in that draft.

Then you draft that guy and he is better than advertised. A guy who looks like will be a tier or two better than Eichel and a guy that may legitimately be the best defensemen in the league for a decade or more.

Even more than all that this guy has the perfect temperament and seems to destined to be even a bigger star than the previous face of the franchise.

Now is there still no way you do it? Well still probably not.

But what if...

A team like the Winnepeg Jets comes calling. They have a ton of assets and can't keep them all. They don't want futures and want to see if they can upgrade their top 6. They offer Kyle Conner or Patrik Laine as the centerpiece in a package for Eichel. Is there still now way you are even considering dealing him?

Much bigger trades have happened than Eichel being dealt. I'm just saying I wouldn't be shocked.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
How are so many people trying to justify shipping him out? Aside from it being mostly impossible, he's still the best player on the team. Sure, the last month+ has been depressing but trading Jack is giving up and starting from scratch, again. Jack, Sam, Dahlin, and hopefully Jeff are a nice core.

Trading Jack for a bunch of new stuff is not the answer.

Are people trying to trade Eichel?

pf8363

Feb 17, 2015
I'll take the bait. He's kind of underwhelming. There are lots of players near his draft year that he waa supposed to be way better than, and that didn't happen. Aho, Rantanen, Schiefele, Gaudreau, Monahan, Barzal, the list goes on. Eichel was supposed to be a class ahead of these guys, and he's not. It's depressing. Hes still a great player and we should definitely not trade him. But its okay to be disappointed in how his career has played out so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->