Injury Report: Eichel suffers high ankle sprain in Oct 12th practice; out 6-8 weeks

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

The story for me becomes whether Reinhart, Okposo, Kane, Ennis, Girgensons, ROR can score at an NHL average pace. The team has a lot of guys who are due for bounce-backs (Moulson, Girgensons, Ennis), guys who are due to break out (Reinhart), guys who should be rock solid producers (ROR, Okposo). There was always a chance that if enough of the supporting cast could hit their potentials, we had a potentially high octane group in place.

If that group can't absorb the loss of Eichel for six weeks, the season story is about them, not Jack.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
The story for me becomes whether Reinhart, Okposo, Kane, Ennis, Girgensons, ROR can score at an NHL average pace. The team has a lot of guys who are due for bounce-backs (Moulson, Girgensons, Ennis), guys who are due to break out (Reinhart), guys who should be rock solid producers (ROR, Okposo). There was always a chance that if enough of the supporting cast could hit their potentials, we had a potentially high octane group in place.

If that group can't absorb the loss of Eichel for six weeks, the season story is about them, not Jack.

All good points. There's enough here that they can't get sad about it.

JOVIS*

RIP Playoffs this season in all seriousness, lets be real. There is always hope ofc but this is as devastating an injury to our fan morale as could have happened. A DAY BEFORE OPENING NIGHT!? thats so #BUFsy

silver lining, we can still have fun at the KBC i guess? :laugh::popcorn:

ani-its-an-arty-party.gif

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Briere only played 48 games of the 05-06 season, just saying.

It was a decade ago, but I thought Briere had a groin injury, not ankle.

I think he's saying we still had a great year even with him out that long

Yep, Briere had the infamous "sports hernia".

JOVIS*

I'm calling it now. The Derek Grant miracle season. :popcorn:

YES! Derek Grant could score 30. I want TM to lock him up past this year! Vegas is going to steal him. He has figured it out. his AHL scoring was no fluke, he did it ALL pre-season. :nod:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
This is where our depth at center should, at minimum, be able to hold things together until Eichel returns. A lot will hinge on how Disco reacts to this and what adjustments he makes.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
The team should be able to stay afloat at around .500 until Jack returns. If they can do that, they'll still have a shot at making the playoffs.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
oh gawd. please not another season of Dan's musical chairs line combos :shakehead

I think finding something that worked for Jack was one of the biggest reasons for the shuffling last season. Bylsma doesn't need to do that for ROR/Reinhart

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
This is where our depth at center should, at minimum, be able to hold things together until Eichel returns. A lot will hinge on how Disco reacts to this and what adjustments he makes.
It's pretty great that we're replacing a 44% GF player with someone who was 50% or better last season.

Our ceiling is lower, but the injury also raises our floor and gives us three very strong defensive centers in the top 9. It also might force a more offensive role for Risto.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It's pretty great that we're replacing a 44% GF player with someone who was 50% or better last season.

Our ceiling is lower, but the injury also raises our floor and gives us three very strong defensive centers in the top 9. It also might force a more offensive role for Risto.

In English please

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
So high ankle sprain average recovery time would keep him out until Thanksgiving.

Our schedule until Thanksgiving is pretty easy. Twelve out of our first fifteen games are against teams that missed the playoffs last year. The next five are tougher, but all together, thirteen out of our first twenty games are against non-playoff teams.

That schedule is a bigger deal for our first quarter than missing Eichel.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Good time to dial up the defensive play and figure out how to win ugly early.

I was wondering if that was what they were going to do regardless of this injury. Most of the preseason games I watched they were frequently sitting back in a 1-2-2. Lots of counterpunching. Not sure if thats a window into anything or not though.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Sucks ... Sure. But who was actually banking on Eichel being the end all be all to a horrible vs. great season for the team?

I know I wasn't.

Ledge jumpers from the first two pages made me laugh.

Hope he comes back later and fully healed instead of early and being a season long issue.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

This is the first post that I've found at least somewhat comforting :laugh:

This, combined with the schedule, gives me hope that we might squeak by relatively unscathed, depending on how the coach plays things.

Imagine if we're over 500 by game 20 and then Eichel comes back? The early wins without the star would boost confidence big time, and his return would jumpstart things into high octane mode.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad