Injury Report: Eichel suffers high ankle sprain in Oct 12th practice; out 6-8 weeks

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I had a better post than this queued up, but the forum ate it:

Based on last season's setup, our record is dependent on Eichel's ability to win his matchup, due to O'Reilly and Larsson's defensive responsibility and inconsistent offense, respectively. While Eichel had obviously improved, his shift-by-shift by shift engagement is still a work in progress, and is compounded by his role in Bylsma's scheme. Without Disco really game-planning to offset the weaknesses in Eichel's game - like Reinhart as the functional defensive zone center - we were probably going to drop points from Jack growing into his role.

With Eichel's growing pains removed from the equation, you still have a gang of good forwards, and a host of relatively favorable minutes that weren't used effectively last season. This might be the the catalyst for Disco to play to his strengths and return to an uptempo, heavy-forechecking system that really leverages the strengths of the lineup. For his first time in Buffalo...

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Bleep. I just saw this now. Of course it has to happen right before opening night after waiting the whole offseason for hockey to start again. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

Who knows, maybe it will be a blessing in disguise if the team comes out strong and he's able to ease his way back in without a lot of pressure.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
This is the time and opportunity for our other 2nd overall pick to step up, seems like the consensus here is that Sam is ready to be an elite center and now he'll have the chance. ROR, Reinhart and Larsson down the middle shouldn't consign us to a bad start while Eichel is out.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Reinhart looked bad at his stint in center last year.

He's a 2nd overall pick who's played his entire career as a center. Now's the time for him to shut his critics up. We'll see if his skating has improved enough to play center in the NHL well - his brother Griffin was just exiled to the AHL because his skating continued to be a big issue in pre-season.

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
This is the time and opportunity for our other 2nd overall pick to step up, seems like the consensus here is that Sam is ready to be an elite center and now he'll have the chance. ROR, Reinhart and Larsson down the middle shouldn't consign us to a bad start while Eichel is out.

He's a 2nd overall pick who's played his entire career as a center. Now's the time for him to shut his critics up. We'll see if his skating has improved enough to play center in the NHL well - his brother Griffin was just exiled to the AHL because his skating continued to be a big issue in pre-season.

He also has a rookie year under his belt where he netted 20+ goals. It's also the time not only for Reinhart to step up but for some of our wingers to step up. Whether it's Ennis having a bounceback season, Kane taking the next step or one of the young prospects (again Fasching made the big club) there are people here to fill the void while Eichel is out.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Just terrible.

but, Jack is still young and confident, should heal fast and there really are silver linings with this.

-Gives Jack time to watch the play from the pressbox. To see things unfold, see what his role in the system will entail or how his ability can be efficient. He wasn't going to be a healthy scratch, obviously it's better to learn through experience but it's still an opportunity for Jack to learn

- Gives other players a chance in a different role. Somebody is taking his spot, someone will replace the replacement and who knows. Okposo is a new addition that should help replace Jack points, Ennis should be able to contribute more than last season. Might even shake Moulson into some accidental chemistry.

- Takes away the Bylsma easy button. He was able to compensate in Pittsburg when Crosby went down and Jack ain't Crosby.

- Gives Jack time to get his head straight. If if if he was dwelling on the World Cup or McDavid/Mathews comparisons or Vesey & McGinn being on other teams or whatever; now he has to focus on rehab and return. I mean, on top of any other (non-verified, imagined, made up) pressure he just had an *is my career over* moment. Kind of changes priorities.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
As many people have said, a broken ankle would have been better for Jack and the Sabres. I had a bad ankle sprain 6 years ago, slipped on a plastic wrapper going down carpeted stairs, ankle and foot swelled to enormous proportions, couldn't put weight on it without a lot of pain for months and it was a full year before it was normal.

he won't be the same this season when he comes back. to even have a sniff at a playoff sport it will take big/improved years from Reinhart, Kane, Okposo, Ennis and Lehner.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Just terrible.

but, Jack is still young and confident, should heal fast and there really are silver linings with this.

-Gives Jack time to watch the play from the pressbox. To see things unfold, see what his role in the system will entail or how his ability can be efficient. He wasn't going to be a healthy scratch, obviously it's better to learn through experience but it's still an opportunity for Jack to learn

- Gives other players a chance in a different role. Somebody is taking his spot, someone will replace the replacement and who knows. Okposo is a new addition that should help replace Jack points, Ennis should be able to contribute more than last season. Might even shake Moulson into some accidental chemistry.

- Takes away the Bylsma easy button. He was able to compensate in Pittsburg when Crosby went down and Jack ain't Crosby.

- Gives Jack time to get his head straight. If if if he was dwelling on the World Cup or McDavid/Mathews comparisons or Vesey & McGinn being on other teams or whatever; now he has to focus on rehab and return. I mean, on top of any other (non-verified, imagined, made up) pressure he just had an *is my career over* moment. Kind of changes priorities.

Agreed. I think that we'll see Reinhart develop at center, as well.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
:madfire:One of the most frustrating things about this to me is that it seems the whole summer has been talk all about McDavid and Matthews, and everyone seemed to have written off Jack as an afterthought when discussing the league's young stars.

I was sooooooo eager for Jack to get out there and start tearing it up and proving his critics wrong. ANd now that won't happen for a couple months at least (if he's even 100% when he comes back). :madfire:

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
sorry guys.. with eichel out how does your top 6 shift just wondering as a wild fan.
Does Bennett move into the #2 center roll? Of topic where is fashcing playing this year Ahl or NHl and what line is he on.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
sorry guys.. with eichel out how does your top 6 shift just wondering as a wild fan.
Does Bennett move into the #2 center roll? Of topic where is fashcing playing this year Ahl or NHl and what line is he on.

Bennett? Wrong Sam, wrong team. Go back to Google, do some research, then post with some clarity. (Fasching)

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Just terrible.

Pretty much how I'm looking at it. It absolutely sucks that we can't watch him for a while. But it gives other players a chance to step up, and jack a chance to really learn the game while making him very antsy to come back. Hopefully we are in stride when he comes back, and he brings us to another level.

Reinhart at center is gonna be a sight to see too.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Bennett? Wrong Sam, wrong team. Go back to Google, do some research, then post with some clarity. (Fasching)
You couldn't just correct the guy, you had to tell him off as well? Guy came in peace and was confused with a player. It happens. In conversations before about other teams I've mistakenly mentioned the wrong player with a similar name, partially as a brain fart and partially because I don't know every single player on every single team.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Since nobody answered you...

Reinhart(Not Bennett) looks to be playing with ROR(hopefully he's in) and could be the guy taking faceoffs on the 1st line. He has shown chemistry with these two(Kane and ROR) guys before.

Once ROR is fully healthy, and we get Okposo back, I'm expecting Reinhart to slip down to the 2nd line or possibly 3rd line if Larsson brings the same type of game he brought in pre-season. I think Larsson and Reinhart are the type of players who can play with anybody, but Larsson seems to be only effective at the center position.

Fasching, due to injuries will be in the starting lineup. He has made good strides in his skating even going back to last season. When the lineup is fully healthy I would think he goes back down. Fortunately for him, he has been given the chance to impress the coaching staff/Murray and earn that spot in the lineup instead of waiting for injuries before his chance(ironically). Depending on how the lines go chemistry-wise, he can be slotted anywhere from 2nd-4th. Bylsma is quick to change lines if the players aren't working with one another.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I still have hope he can come back and be 100% this year. He's young and bendy and it doesn't sound like it was a severe sprain based on Bylsms saying "moderate".

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
For the love of god heal soon, and back to 100%. I'm hoping that athletic freak body he has makes it a seem less heal.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
My biggest concern here isn't when he will be back, but that he isn't rushed back. I'd much rather him miss 6 weeks now and play the rest of the year then miss 4 weeks now, 4 weeks in Dec, and 2 weeks in March.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad