• Total voters

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Long term:
Matthews ~ Eichel
Rielly < Dahlin
Marner >> Reinhart
That's actually exactly my thoughts. I think Matthews and Eichel are close. Rielly might be a little bit worse than Dahlin but the gap between Marner and Reinhart is a much bigger one than the gap between the defensemen.

Reactions: The Podium

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A franchise defense man and center. I'll take the Sabres even though I think Marner is better than Reinhart. The eventual gap between Dahlin and Rielly as an all round defense man is just too big to ignore. Eichel and Matthews is a coin flip.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Long term:
Matthews ~ Eichel
Rielly < Dahlin
Marner >> Reinhart

I dont disagree but theres something very appealing to me about making the decision based on the worst player. Id rather make it on the best 2.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I went Sabres coming into this year on (I think) the same poll, but I'm changing with what both Marner and Rielly have done. I think Marner has put himself into the franchise player tier often looking like the Leafs best player, and if Rielly is a true #1 who's going to occasionally get into Norris voting I think it's hard not to take that over Reinhart

Either way, this should be a great match up for the next decade. I won't be at all surprised if we come out of this generation with both fanbases seeing the other as their most bitter rival

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
It's crazy to think that every single player on this list (excluding Dahlin obviously) has elevated their play and numbers quite a bit from the previous year.

Went with Toronto here but certainly both teams are well off
Yah, really can't fault anyone for choosing one way or the other in this poll with how well they have all played.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Rielly is not close to as good as Dahlin, long-term. There is a bigger gap long-term between Reilly and Dahlin than Marner and Reinhart

According to what? At 24 years old Rielly is having a Norris caliber season. At the very best if Dahlin becomes a Lidstrom, Marner is still almost that much better than Reinhart right now at 2 years younger, not only if everything goes right. Obviously it’s only my opinion and I can’t predict the future. But Marner right now has a sizeable gap over reinhart at a younger age, and Dahlin, while he has the potential of a generational player, has a large hill to climb if he wants a sizeable gap that big over a #1D who may have a Norris on his mantle come seasons end.

Reactions: Yackiberg8

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
According to what? At 24 years old Rielly is having a Norris caliber season. At the very best if Dahlin becomes a Lidstrom, Marner is still almost that much better than Reinhart right now at 2 years younger, not only if everything goes right. Obviously it’s only my opinion and I can’t predict the future. But Marner right now has a sizeable gap over reinhart at a younger age, and Dahlin, while he has the potential of a generational player, has a large hill to climb if he wants a sizeable gap that big over a #1D who may have a Norris on his mantle come seasons end.

I think Leaf fans overrate Rielly. Putting up points on one of the NHL's best teams does not mean you are having a Norris caliber season.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I think Leaf fans overrate Rielly. Putting up points on one of the NHL's best teams does not mean you are having a Norris caliber season.

It actually does... when he is in the 98th percentile of QoC, carrying a Hainsey corpse on his back, playing relatively limited EV and PP TOI, and doing relatively well defensively against teams top lines.

Even if you’re right, Dahlin still would have to be leaps and bounds better than a #1D to make up the gap between Marner and Reinhart.

Reactions: Mats13

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
That's actually exactly my thoughts. I think Matthews and Eichel are close. Rielly might be a little bit worse than Dahlin but the gap between Marner and Reinhart is a much bigger one than the gap between the defensemen.

It only looks that way because Dahlin is 18 and Reilly is 24. The rest of the players are much closer to each other in age (as well as being closer to finished products) and, so, easier to compare. If Dahlin hits his potential, that gap will not be small.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Leafs now, and if dahlin is the Norris candidate he’s supposed to be then that may make it buffalo in the future.

When there all in their primes it’s probably dead even.

Long term:
Matthews ~ Eichel
Rielly < Dahlin
Marner >> Reinhart

This would almost be perfect except the double arrow for marner above Reinhart. You realize Sam Reinhart has 76 pts in his last 79 games.

Or maybe that double arrow wasn’t intended.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Leafs now, and if dahlin is the Norris candidate he’s supposed to be then that may make it buffalo in the future.

This would almost be perfect except the double arrow for marner above Reinhart. You realize Sam Reinhart has 76 pts in his last 79 games.

The issue is Marner has stats that are actually better than Eichel since he came in the league and I’m pretty sure you would agree that Eichel >>Reinhart

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
The issue is Marner has stats that are actually better than Eichel since he came in the league and I’m pretty sure you would agree that Eichel >>Reinhart

Except for the fact there is no issue. I was only referring to the DOUBLE arrow.

I have no problem with ONE arrow.

Funny you have to also make a jab at Eichel while also praising marner in the process, just stop. Everything about Marners circumstances compared to Eichel’s are completely different from the leafs actually having depth so marner doesent get every single elite shutdown dman, checking center Eichel gets from Eichel putting up his totals in his d1 year, compared to marner getting a year extra in junior, not to mention playing on a high scoring team getting to play with the likesnof John Tavares. Just thought you should know the basics, and even still hasn’t hit eichels highest goal total in his lowest scoring year, im a huge marner fan but only an imbecile would assume he’s had a better career then Eichel to this point and that’s why absolutely no one but that would take him over a franchise center. Anyway this was about Reinhart and the double arrow. Back to the topic y2j.

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Marner has 94 in his last 79 games...

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Except for the fact there is no issue. I was only referring to the DOUBLE arrow.

I have no problem with ONE arrow.

Funny you have to also make a jab at Eichel while also praising marner in the process, just stop. Everything about Marners circumstances compared to Eichel’s are completely different from the leafs actually having depth so marner doesent get every single elite shutdown dman, checking center Eichel gets from Eichel putting up his totals in his d1 year, compared to marner getting a year extra in junior, not to mention playing on a high scoring team getting to play with the likesnof John Tavares. Just thought you should know the basics, and even still hasn’t hit eichels highest goal total in his lowest scoring year, im a huge marner fan but only an imbecile would assume he’s had a better career then Eichel to this point and that’s why absolutely no one but that would take him over a franchise center. Anyway this was about Reinhart and the double arrow. Back to the topic y2j. Unless you want to talk about Eichel and his near identical career stats to Matthews and even this year eichels PPG is higher in more games played (which is actually harder to accomplish) and I can play the same game and go you don’t think Eichel > Matthews right? Matthews has 36 in 26, Eichel has 49 in 39, it says 40 but I don’t count two shifts as a whole game. But whatever even count his two shift game it works out to the same. Because then by that scale marner > Matthews and marner > all. Because that makes sense.

Some Leaf fans believe Marner > Matthews. Im not one of those Leaf fans, but do believe they are equally as important to the Leafs, Marner more critical to the Leafs success thus far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad