Eichel OR Matthews

Eichel or Matthews

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Matthews. Eichel is pretty close but Matthews is just a way better goalscorer which tips it in his favour.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Also written by Andrew Berkshire, who claimed once that Tomas Tatar is a better hockey player than Alex Ovechkin.
he also has a far larger grasp and knowledge on analytics than like 99.99% of the users on this site. I trust his opinion and analysis far more than the users on this site that say this player is better than this player, or this player is bad at this because I say he is without providing any stats or analysis to back it up.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Seems this is going to be a question after a big game for the rest of their careers. It is close. All I have to add to this is the fact Eichel makes it close playing with the talent he is surrounded with in Buffalo is a testament to him. Matthews is an elite goal scorer. He will probably win Richard soon in his career. Eichel is an elite complete Center. Both have value. Would love to see both play with similar talent one day to make this truly a good discussion.

Reactions: GOALOFSSON

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Way to make the poll right after a big game for auston. No agenda behind this one, especially since you dont want people to take into account contracts because eichel's is much better.

As for the poll, Auston has been better than jack when you compare rookie vs rookie, sophomore vs sophomore, etc, but this year eichel has really improved.

Eichel isnt being fed by one of the best playmakers with the 7th highest ppg in the league.

Jack is 33 points ahead of his next highest scoring teammate.

Auston would be 2nd if marner didn't miss any games and we have JT who is basically at a ppg.

Eichel has a lot less support and yet is on par for production with Matthews.

To close to call.

If we were taking contracts into account, I'd lean slightly eichel.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
he also has a far larger grasp and knowledge on analytics than like 99.99% of the users on this site. I trust his opinion and analysis far more than the users on this site that say this player is better than this player, or this player is bad at this because I say he is without providing any stats or analysis to back it up.

And I can’t believe people use him as a “credible” opinion when he makes hot takes that are no better than most of the cherry picking analytic users on HFboards.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems this is going to be a question after a big game for the rest of their careers. It is close. All I have to add to this is the fact Eichel makes it close playing with the talent he is surrounded with in Buffalo is a testament to him. Matthews is an elite goal scorer. He will probably win Richard soon in his career. Eichel is an elite complete Center. Both have value. Would love to see both play with similar talent one day to make this truly a good discussion.

I’m kind of keen on seeing them both in an Olympics or World Cup, perhaps even on the same line last year’s All-Star game. Despite fan rivalry, they are friends and look like they enjoy playing together.

Mar 26, 2010
You take the generational goal scorer Matthews.

This is no slight at Eichel though, he is an awesome player.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I’m kind of keen on seeing them both in an Olympics or World Cup, perhaps even on the same line last year’s All-Star game. Despite fan rivalry, they are friends and look like they enjoy playing together.

Seems to me the US can now field an impressive Centre group including 2 first over all and a 2nd with I guess Pavelski being their #4? Not going to argue which one would be the #1C, I'd argue they are close enough to equal and chemistry with wingers would determine that.

I think they would each have their own line but they would pair up on the PP.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
I guess you forgot that Matthews scored 40, 34, & 37 goals the previous 3 seasons when Mitch Marner was not on his line at 5v5.

It wasn't even until December 21, 2019 that Sheldon Keefe put Matthews and Marner on the same line at 5v5, so not all of Matthews 40 goals this season were because of Marner.
Has he ever cracked 80 points without Marner being glued to his side?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yes, I notice games when they play each other head to head mean more to them. Friendly rivalry indeed.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Supporting cast is a big factor in production.
True but so is ice time. Eichel was handed the #1 C spot on day one, this is Matthews first season (or half of it so far) where he has had the best line mates. Matthews was also usually on the 2nd power play getting about 18mins a game. So until 20 games ago all of those factors favored Eichel.

Really can't we call it a tie and give this debate up? I like them both and Eichel can play on my team any day.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Eichel is a tier above. 82 points last year, and 30+ goals and 68 points already this year while being reliable in every zone. He doesn't have a Mitch Marner to get him pucks, he's doing it all by himself.

Matthews would have scored 82 if he played a full season last year.

This year he has 40 goals/68 points.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Funny how linemates matter so much all of a sudden.

Matthews has been better than Eichel since he entered the league.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
when Eichel is doing really well there is a Eichel v Matthews poll
when Matthews is doing really well there is a Matthews v Eichel poll

Now its time for Leaf fans to vote for Matthews
And all the Buffalo and Leaf haters to vote Eichel

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
This shows how Matthews has improved defensivley since he's currently 3rd in takeaways with 58.

20200208_032002-jpg.318009

I can't even tell if you're joking right now :laugh:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
That day literally never happened. You aree remembering a hallucination or a dream. Fun story though.

Only it did, people were spouting that same garbage and vitriol about Matthews scoring 40 and McDavid not.

Leafs fans conveniently forgot that McDavid was better at almost everything else just like Eichel is

Edit: except takeaways as well apparently lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad