Speculation: Eichel Megathread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
So far, Adams has been able to do a lot of things that previous GMs were not allowed to do by the Pegulas. That talks to how much the Pegulas trust Adams.

I doubt there is pressure to make a move this season from ownership. I think the next point in time where ownership might get involved is when we get closer to the $7.5M bonus payment next year.

Maybe but you don’t really believe they will just let him sit for an entire season do you? At minimum, they are going to have to at least give the appearance that any downtime next season is injury related and not pissing match. There is no way the business side of the Buffalo Sabres wants a drawn out dispute.

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
Eichel to Rangers. I think this is a risky decision. Hockey Player AAV - $ 10.0M. Risk after surgery. What is the likelihood of getting a second injury? What are the consequences?
The Rangers will probably overpay. Teams play in the same conference. ;)

There are three main options after the exchange (approximate):

- Eichel gets a second injury with more serious consequences. :(
The player is transferred to LTIR. The team records losses: financial (AAV) and loss of compensation. A contract is signed with another player.

- Eichel does not fully recover. The player continues to play in the NHL for a maximum of 50% of his capabilities. :help:
The consequences of the operation began to manifest themselves after the exchange.
Worst option for a club. The player can play. His contract becomes similar to that of Jeff Skinner.
The team records losses: financial (AAV), loss of compensation, financial (Projected Cap Hit). The player continues to play for the Rangers.

- Eichel is recovering almost completely. The player is picking up his previous form. Hockey Player AAV - $ 10.0M. The risk of re-injury - cannot disappear. :skeptic:

New York Rangers - projected cap hit: $ 67,837,302. No contract signed with Shesterkin. If after the season Zibanejad and Strome leave (AAV about $ 10.0M), you won't be able to save. The team will sign contracts with Fox and Kravtsov. Additionally, sign a new contract with Kakko. After two seasons - new contracts: Lafrenière, Miller, Chytil. I am not counting some of the players.
Add the amount of the Shesterkin contract to $ 67,837,302 - you will receive a projected cap space of less than: $ 9,000,000.
This does not include new contracts: Kakko, Lafrenière, Miller, Chytil, replacements of Zibanejad and Strome.
There are additional savings of course:
- Exchanges.
- Dead Cap (2021/22 $4,427,778 – 2022/23 $3,427,778 – 2023/24 $0)

The arrival of a completely healthy Eichel will give: :huh:
- Strengthening the top three.
- Weakening the depth of the team composition.
What will outweigh. I do not know.

I think Leon Draisaitl has the best contract (all factors taken into account) right now. :thumbu:
My personal C rating for the Rangers (takes into account AAV, the duration of the current contract and the forecast of the next contract, the probability of a deal, various strategies):
1. Nick Suzuki
2. Pierre-Luc Dubois
3. Christian Dvorak
4. Anthony Cirelli
Place in my personal rating - Jack Eichel 5-8.

Chris Drury should consider the need for Jack Eichel to join the team. This is a high risk trade.
Even if you pay two teams to keep salaries (@ $ 1.5M ret + @ $ 1.5M ret), questions remain.
AAV gets much better But the loss of compensation (in the event of a player's injury) increases.
We will wait for the end of the series “Jack Eichel strikes back". :help: :popcorn:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Maybe but you don’t really believe they will just let him sit for an entire season do you? At minimum, they are going to have to at least give the appearance that any downtime next season is injury related and not pissing match. There is no way the business side of the Buffalo Sabres wants a drawn out dispute.

They also don't want to trade Eichel for pennies on the dollar.

I don't see the owners forcing a bad trade this season. If they get involved, it will be to figure out the surgery situation.

Reactions: WiHockeyGuy

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Adams is in a tough spot.

Eichel needs surgery.
Artificial Disk Replacement or Spinal Fusion?
One has never been done on an NHL player before (or NFL, NBA, etc. as far as we know)
The other may lead to him ending his career in 4-5 years due to nerve damage, stiffness, adjacent segment degeneration, etc.

So what team is going to offer much at this point with Eichel's career in jeopardy?

Reactions: dick341 and Fatass

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis

I don't see the owners forcing a bad trade this season. If they get involved, it will be to figure out the surgery situation.

I'm not sure they are in control of what they want anymore. If Eichel never plays there again (which at least seems possible) there is no way to improve the offers. Why would they get better?

Reactions: Fatass

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The problem is that there is no reason for the offers to get better the longer this goes. Things just get uglier and uglier for Adams, not better the longer this goes and pretty soon, no one will be able to afford taking back $10m w/o moving out contracts. So instead of futures, Adams will have to take on money. The "let him rot" discussion is ridiculous....no team wants that headache. His ownership will pull the rug out from under him before they allow an entire season of "what's up with Eichel?" everyday.
That already happened when FA hit. Either Adams or another team has to change their mind on what Eichel is worth, but until the season starts and a key, long term injury happens to a star forward I don't see teams offering something drastically different. I actually see teams offering less the longer this goes on.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Adams is in a tough spot.

Eichel needs surgery.
Artificial Disk Replacement or Spinal Fusion?
One has never been done on an NHL player before (or NFL, NBA, etc. as far as we know)
The other may lead to him ending his career in 4-5 years due to nerve damage, stiffness, adjacent segment degeneration, etc.

So what team is going to offer much at this point with Eichel's career in jeopardy?
Well apparently the therapy angle was recommended above that. He would be getting it now. So, Adams might just wait this out so long that Eichel doesn't need surgery anymore.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Sabres can’t force Jack to have a surgery he doesn’t want. Jack can’t force the Sabres to support his chosen operation. Jack, because of his neck injury can’t play and will be on LTI until he has surgery and recovers. Sabres either trade Jack for a mostly conditional return, or he collects his pay while on LTI.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Sabres can’t force Jack to have a surgery he doesn’t want. Jack can’t force the Sabres to support his chosen operation. Jack, because of his neck injury can’t play and will be on LTI until he has surgery and recovers. Sabres either trade Jack for a mostly conditional return, or he collects his pay while on LTI.

Eichel is too proud to sit at home and collect checks for five years.

Given the Sabres are just starting another tear down rebuild, they have nothing but time to wait for Eichel to get healthy and rehab both his neck and his trade value.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That already happened when FA hit. Either Adams or another team has to change their mind on what Eichel is worth, but until the season starts and a key, long term injury happens to a star forward I don't see teams offering something drastically different. I actually see teams offering less the longer this goes on.
I agree, but the complication with Eichel is he is already a key player with a 10 mil cap hit who has a long term injury. So any team losing a star to injury will not look to Jack as a replacement.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

If only there was a GM that has been kicking the tires on Eichel that is known for changing his mind and making a deal when everyone thought he was out...

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
I think Leon Draisaitl has the best contract (all factors taken into account) right now. :thumbu:
My personal C rating for the Rangers (takes into account AAV, the duration of the current contract and the forecast of the next contract, the probability of a deal, various strategies):
1. Nick Suzuki
Just for fun and curiousity, let's say Suzuki wants to play in NY and Montreal tries to trade him there.

What would be your offer for Suzuki to NYR ?
I remember 2 years ago I proposed Suzuki for Miller when both didn't play in the NHL

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Eichel is too proud to sit at home and collect checks for five years.

Given the Sabres are just starting another tear down rebuild, they have nothing but time to wait for Eichel to get healthy and rehab both his neck and his trade value.
The rehab was already tried. It wasn’t successful. Likely the issue now is Jack is struggling with continued symptoms, which can be rather nasty.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Who'd a thunk that Buffalo going into a rebuild would worry about a 10mil contract hit that's in LTIR and covered by insurance. Assets to speed the rebuild would be nice but this isn't impeding Terry's ability to afford a new tender for his yacht.

The power move by Jack's agents have alienated a large part of the fan base and bought KA more time to wait out better offers

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I agree, but the complication with Eichel is he is already a key player with a 10 mil cap hit who has a long term injury. So any team losing a star to injury will not look to Jack as a replacement.
Good point. I guess i am assuming that some resolution to Eichel's neck treatment will be made sooner rather than later, and that he will be ready to play. Just having him sit for months with no procedure being done is about as stupid and self destructive of a thing that the Sabres can do.

Of course, if he has the spinal fusion then it will take much longer for him to be ready to play. Even if BUF doesn't agree with the other option, you would think that they would let him do that so that he can be ready to play sooner, making him more valuable for the acquiring club.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If only there was a GM that has been kicking the tires on Eichel that is known for changing his mind and making a deal when everyone thought he was out...
:laugh::laugh: No, he's too busy signing ex Pens. The days of being taken advantage of by Sabres GM's is over!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So you aren't buying that he medically cannot safely play?

If he still needs surgery, I do wonder why he's skating with a bunch of other players right now.

But, even if he does need surgery, it may be at the point where the only way Adams gets the offer he will accept is for Eichel to have surgery, rehab, and get back in the lineup and rehab his trade value.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Well apparently the therapy angle was recommended above that. He would be getting it now. So, Adams might just wait this out so long that Eichel doesn't need surgery anymore.
The "rest period" ended more than a month ago. If rest and rehab were going to fix it, it would be fixed.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how long it takes for Hollywood to start making a movie out of this mess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad