Euro Hockey Tour: EHT 2020-2021 • Channel One Cup • Dec. 17-20 [CZE/FIN/RUS/SWE]

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I know it's offtopic, but I don't think that NLA is weaker than SHL. And KHL is marginally better than both, but year, the Spengler Cup showings are sad. I do love this tournament regardless, so much holiday spirit, authentic arenas.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I know it's offtopic, but I don't think that NLA is weaker than SHL. And KHL is marginally better than both, but year, the Spengler Cup showings are sad. I do love this tournament regardless, so much holiday spirit, authentic arenas.
Top-end players are better in the NLA due to bigger budgets but the other ~75% are homegrown and the average Swiss-grown player is quite a bit worse than a Swedish one. So NLA is still pretty underrated in general but it isn't on par with SHL yet either.

Reactions: BlizzardSloth

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden is the worst nation in EHT year after year. SHL is even weaker than Liiga and Tipsport Extraliga. Sweden have too many players in North America, twice as many as Finland and Czech. Ofc the quality of SHL will drop becuse of that.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Sweden is the worst nation in EHT year after year. SHL is even weaker than Liiga and Tipsport Extraliga. Sweden have too many players in North America, twice as many as Finland and Czech. Ofc the quality of SHL will drop becuse of that.
This post contains so much nonsense is so few words it's kinda amazing.

Reactions: Exarz

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
As you say, listen to Szemberg starting at 20 minutes. "Every player who is 18 or 19 with so-so quality is drafted and eventually to sign an NHL contract whether he is NHL ready or not. ... Kids that go too early they basically have no chance, or very few of them, to hold an important position on NHL club. They are being sent down to the AHL ... and they come back (from AHL) as lesser players. ... too many young Europeans go to the NHL before they are ready and we lose lots of players that way. When I say "we" I mean Europe because for the NHL it does not matter because for every player who fails there are 10 others to take that spot. But that hurts European hockey and it also depletes the leagues. Last year were 130 Swedish players with NHL contract. You do not have 130 Swedish players of the NHL calibre. If there would 80 Swedes be playing in the NHL but 50 remaining in Sweden and maybe go to the NHL when ready, this would be a much better proportion."

So Szemberg basically says what Russians say (moving to NA when fully ready), but Szemberg does not agree with Russian´s way of doing things ...

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
As you say, listen to Szemberg starting at 20 minutes. "Every player who is 18 or 19 with so-so quality is drafted and eventually to sign an NHL contract whether he is NHL ready or not. ... Kids that go too early they basically have no chance, or very few of them, to hold an important position on NHL club. They are being sent down to the AHL ... and they come back (from AHL) as lesser players. ... too many young Europeans go to the NHL before they are ready and we lose lots of players that way. When I say "we" I mean Europe because for the NHL it does not matter because for every player who fails there are 10 others to take that spot. But that hurts European hockey and it also depletes the leagues. Last year were 130 Swedish players with NHL contract. You do not have 130 Swedish players of the NHL calibre. If there would 80 Swedes be playing in the NHL but 50 remaining in Sweden and maybe go to the NHL when ready, this would be a much better proportion."

So Szemberg basically says what Russians say (moving to NA when fully ready), but Szemberg does not agree with Russian´s way of doing things ...
-

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Hasn t Sweden and Finland much players from KHL in their squads?

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Top-end players are better in the NLA due to bigger budgets but the other ~75% are homegrown and the average Swiss-grown player is quite a bit worse than a Swedish one. So NLA is still pretty underrated in general but it isn't on par with SHL yet either.

well with that rational top developed swiss players are usually 3rd line roles? they have so many imports on each team. I like swiss league and the authentic arenas, big fant!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
well with that rational top developed swiss players are usually 3rd line roles? they have so many imports on each team.
They don't, actually. Almost no Swiss team is using more than 5 imports, that's sort of gentleman's agreement between the teams. Basic math also suggests it, if 75% of the players are Swiss, the remaining 25% is roughly 5 non-Swiss players per team.

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
well with that rational top developed swiss players are usually 3rd line roles? they have so many imports on each team. I like swiss league and the authentic arenas, big fant!
Teams are only allowed to dress 4 players without a Swiss license for a game. Also, teams can only have 8 players without a Swiss license on their roster per year. So usually teams have around 5 foreign players on their roster.

Note that some foreign players without Swiss citizenship have a Swiss license cause they played a considerable amount of junior hockey in Switzerland, like Nikolaj Ehlers. These players don't count as foreigners in Switzerland.

PS: the whole rule is probably gonna change pretty soon. But nothing is set in stone yet.

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
I look at the roster of Lions and see 9 non-native or dual citizenship players. To be fair, many are products of Swiss system.
That's the point. Morant & Rossi have Swiss licenses because they spent most of their juniors here.

So with Roe, Petersson, Krüger, Noreau and Hayes we're at five players without a Swiss license. Also, Hayes usually plays for their affiliate team, the GCK Lions.

But I think we deviated from the original topic.

Reactions: cska78

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad