OT: EHM returning!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Guys,

I have a problem. I could not decide which goalie to use after Lundqvist retired early in the season. I thought "Well, let's just split it and go Anaheim-style". I have to vote for the Vezina trophy now. What should I do? Has this ever happened, to any of you?

2xCgo0B.png

Last edited:

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Something that really annoys me and annoyed me in 2007: the exit screen. You cannot exit to the main menu and you cannot exit without saving (unless you kill it). Shouldn't be too hard to add those two options.

And there's quite a few things outdated like the lottery or lack of salary retention. I assume they will be added though before the final release. The updated trade AI is definitely a step forward - no more 2nd round picks for Tanner Glass.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Riz,

Here is an example.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-16%20at%205.29.43%20PM_zpswqpuxwlu.png

As you can see, his contract expires in January and is only really for two-and-a-half years. This is consistent across the board with college guys. And you lose their rights after two years instead of keeping their rights for their entire college eligibility.

RUSF18

Nov 10, 2010
Guys,

I have a problem. I could not decide which goalie to use after Lundqvist retired early in the season. I thought "Well, let's just split it and go Anaheim-style". I have to vote for the Vezina trophy now. What should I do? Has this ever happened, to any of you?

2xCgo0B.png

Why the hell didn't we win the other 5 games?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
VGdgirU.png

Goalie switch after the Flyers 4th goal and what a comeback!!!

Ovechkin, now 35 joined as a free agent but hardly scores goals :(

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Definitely going to check this out.

I never played EHM 2007, but have very fond memories of the original version. In fact I have two players I always recreate in the NHL series as a tribute to EHM.

I was waiting to see if Franchise Hockey Manager 15 would fill the old EHM void, but that's taking forever.

Riz - I am curious, how has the landscaped changed for indie developers since the advent of digital distribution has taken over?

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Spring (2015 draft pick) has turned into the leagues best player after 3 seasons. He's scored 40+ goals and 100+ points every season and has won the Hart and Art Ross several times.

Stamkos and Vorecek signed as UFAs and have been alternating being #2 and #3 in league scoring each year.

Kristo turned into a perennial 30-30 player as did Kreider.

Lundquist played until the end of his current contract then refused to resign. He instead signed in Sweden, playing for two more years then retired.

riz

Definitely going to check this out.

Riz - I am curious, how has the landscaped changed for indie developers since the advent of digital distribution has taken over?

Steam has really opened a lot of doors for indie developers imho so it has been really good for smaller indie/niche games. Especially with the mainstream commercial games nowadays requiring huge teams and budgets, the alternative digital market places are ripe with interesting games from smaller or totally independent developers.

I don't think EHM can really be called indie, although probably about 80-90% of the dev time I have spent on the current version has been my own personal time outside of office hours. I do have a day job working on the Football Manager games, but having managed to get the old EHM updated to a stage where it was possible to make it available to the public again, SI were kind enough to take it to Sega and we got the game back via Early Access with me being able to even work full time on it for some time. Only time will tell if demand is enough to warrant long term full time development on the game again, but I'm just glad we have the game back with the ability to keep on updating it.

The current version is PC only but there are a lot of people running it on a Mac using Vine or Parallels or something similar.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm not going to lie, I tried and struggled to get into the retail versions of the EHM series.

Everything about that original version just felt so fluid and forward moving. With that said, I'm going to give this new one a go and really do my best to get my head around it.

I have so many fond memories of the original. I can remember being on business trips and colleagues teasing me about playing "Excel" on my laptop. Sure enough, they quickly got addicted as well.

It was the perfect pace for me to strictly play as a GM (with overall game plan input). Fast enough that I could play well into the future, but slow enough that I become legitimately attached to my players - especially the ones I drafted and developed. I still have a file with the text outputs of my best players, just prior to their retirement, on my computer. Needless to say, Tristan Lehoux and Brant Mitchell always work their way into any hockey game I'm playing.

Very few games have ever stuck with me the way the original EHM has.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Started out with the Yotes. Won them a Cup and moved to the Rangers. Rebuilt them, won them a Cup in 6 years, was fired two years post-Cup because I didn't make it out of the first round (****ing Dolan).

Then moved onto the Preds, rebuilt them over four seasons, won a Cup after another three, and contend every year now. Prospect pool is amazing since I've made smart picks and trades and can develop really well.

riz

Started out with the Yotes. Won them a Cup and moved to the Rangers. Rebuilt them, won them a Cup in 6 years, was fired two years post-Cup because I didn't make it out of the first round (****ing Dolan).

Then moved onto the Preds, rebuilt them over four seasons, won a Cup after another three, and contend every year now. Prospect pool is amazing since I've made smart picks and trades and can develop really well.

Have you had a look at the college related fixes in the latest builds ? They should have done away with most of the issues you reported earlier.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
A few ideas that I'd love to see down the line (I haven't played the latest version, so I could be talking out of my ear):

1. An easy way to create and edit players, perhaps a tab. Simulators are strange beasts, we want them to feel realistic and yet we often love the ability to make them our own. A series like Baseball Mogul makes it fairly easy to make the world our own and even create a launch file that we can always use as a jump off point. I'd like to see something like this as opposed to having to go into the database and find the right code to change. I spent hours doing that in the old EHM for a variety of reasons - including to stop certain top players from retiring at 36. It's be nice if we can streamline that ability for those who use it.

2. Also taking a page from the baseball mogul series, I'd love to eventually be able to play from a database of past seasons. Make it so that the 1992 Rangers win the cup? You got it. Want to play through the Oilers dynasty? You can relive it.

I think this would add a TON of replay value to the game.

3. An expansion team mode. Want to bring hockey to Las Vegas or Seattle? Think Ontario can support another team? Expansion mode lets you build your team from the ground up - draft picks, expansion draft and free agency.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Okay I bought it this afternoon and I'm installing the rosters and photos.

Just take my money Riz.

Take my time;

my wife;

my kids;

the dog;

my free time;

take it all.

You heartless {blank}.;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad