Ehlers (under the radar biggest choker in these playoffs?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
No one is excusing anything, just like im sure you guys didn't blame Matthews and Willy.

It is dissapointing, but let'd not exaggerrate here - I know you love when Ehlers is pulled down tho.

Or any of the Jets youngsters for that matter.

matthews and willy didnt play 15 games and get 0 goals. they also matched up with the bergeron line so there is that.
I could care less about Ehlers "being pulled down". He was one of the main reasons they lost. Connor and Laine are the others. those guys needed to have more than 8 total goals between them for the jest to have a chance

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
matthews and willy didnt play 15 games and get 0 goals. they also matched up with the bergeron line so there is that.
I could care less about Ehlers "being pulled down". He was one of the main reasons they lost. Connor and Laine are the others. those guys needed to have more than 8 total goals between them for the jest to have a chance
No your right, they didn't play 15 games.

Matthews and Willy couldn't even get you past the Bruins.

Reactions: Ares

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
Terrible series from him and Laine (terrible post season for Ehlers as a whole). Pretty sure both were playing injured, but I’m not gonna use it as an excuse, they both really need to step it up in future post seasons if the Jets want to be true contenders.
Laine (in the post game interview) said he was healthy, haven't heard anything about Ehlers. I don't think any one player can be singled out from the Jets this series, at times there were gaffes and Vegas capitalized immediately, but it was more the feeling that the Jets thought they were supposed to win which made trailing all the time exhausting for them. Hellebyuck stated in his post game interview that he thought they were the better team but didn't get the bounces.. in reality they won one period out of 15 (period 1, game 1), and never had a lead in any of the games following the first. That's not luck, but goalies are weird creatures so I guess that's how he copes...

Reactions: LeafGrief

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
and yet they still scored more than ehlers.

no need to be salty just because you lost 4 straight to an expansion team
Ehlers should have scored mored, what's your point, other than to joy over the fact ehlers didn't score and then agreeing with a super hyperbolic thread.

Lol, im bitter, not salty. And my answer to you has nothing to do with that.

And give me a break, they had 1 goal each, against Boston.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Laine (in the post game interview) said he was healthy, haven't heard anything about Ehlers. I don't think any one player can be singled out from the Jets this series, at times there were gaffes and Vegas capitalized immediately, but it was more the feeling that the Jets thought they were supposed to win which made trailing all the time exhausting for them. Hellebyuck stated in his post game interview that he thought they were the better team but didn't get the bounces.. in reality they won one period out of 15 (period 1, game 1), and never had a lead in any of the games following the first. That's not luck, but goalies are weird creatures so I guess that's how he copes...

I LOLed at that. you lost 4 straight games dude. the better team won

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
He's the type of player that needs to learn how to adjust his game for the playoffs.

Regular season and playoffs are a totally different animal especially with how teams play defensively. It's his first deep run so he'll learn.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuietContrarian

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
This is just another example of a young player adapting to the playoffs. Ehlers, Laine, Matthews, Nylander, a few others, just came out flat overall. It happens, next season may be different with some experience under their belt. Hell look at the difference between 2014-2015 Scheifele and 2017-2018 Scheifele.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Like Marchessault, Point, Johnson?
Johnson is a f***ing pit bull though. He's small but he crashes the blue paint like he owns it. There's a reason seemingly every team we've ever played in the playoffs seems to hate him.

Point is just that good.

Reactions: iFan

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Like Marchessault, Point, Johnson?

Those guys play a lot grittier though. They've always been willing to get into the dirty areas and battle.

Ehlers doesn't really play like that. He's more of a perimeter player with great speed, vision, and skills. He has to learn what he can and can't do in the playoffs, because you don't have the time and space in the playoffs when teams learn tendencies and adjust over a series.

Reactions: iFan

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Babcock talked about this recently and reminded everyone that Datsyuk once went a whole bunch of playoffs games in a row without a goal/point.

The playoffs make us overvalue certain players and undervalue certain players because there aren't a lot of games in the playoffs.

Yeah, he is right. Perfect examplle is Draisatl. If Edmonton gets eliminated in the first round, he goes home with 3 points in 6 games and likely doesn't get that contract. Then he puts up 13 in 7 in the next round and everyone is like "Woah this kid is legit".

The longer you go, the more of a chance you get to show your skill. However we have to remember it is all a small sample size. Everyone is over reacting to guys like Matthews, Ehlers, Laine, etc. Are they allowed to be criticized? Yeah if they want to be seen as the best of the best. Does one playoff somehow indicate that they are over rated or a poor player? No it doesn't. Look no further than Matthews as an example who was almost PPG in his first series.

Sometimes guys just have a rough patch. It's when you see this trend over several years (Vanek) that they deserve to be given these kind of threads.

Reactions: leospaceman3434
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad