Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
I can picture the Russian chant now:

ovechkin-alex080312.jpg

A O, CANADA BLOWS!

We cannot allow this!

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Is this about that ridiculous Pepsi bid to "create" a cheer for Canada? That stupid "Eh! O! Canada Go!" thing?

What the hell is wrong with "Go Canada Go"? We've only been chanting that for for-freaking-ever. One of the coolest hockey things I ever saw was in the Summit on Ice series DVD how a loud section of Canadian fans was chanting that during one of the games in the USSR. Spine tingling stuff.

~Canucklehead~

Is there any video of this? I'm surprised fans could even get into the Soviet Union to go to the games.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
The chant is created by Pepsi for the World Juniors, not the Olympics.

People fail to realize that Pepsi does not have the rights to the Olympic marketing opportunity, and became the sponsors for the World Juniors so that they could play up Canadian pride during a time when most Canadians are thinking about the Olympics.

This whole CANADA CHANT thing is a method for Pepsi to stay visible during the leadup to the Olympics Games, a period during which they would otherwise be completely stuffed by Coca Cola (who have the Olympic rights). Quite frankly, given this thread, I think Pepsi did a good job in persuading everyone that this is for the Olympics at this time of the year, and thus remain visible.

Tendresse

Capitaine Gorges
Dec 23, 2006
Montréal

People fail to realize that Pepsi does not have the rights to the Olympic marketing opportunity, and became the sponsors for the World Juniors so that they could play up Canadian pride during a time when most Canadians are thinking about the Olympics.

This whole CANADA CHANT thing is a method for Pepsi to stay visible during the leadup to the Olympics Games, a period during which they would otherwise be completely stuffed by Coca Cola (who have the Olympic rights). Quite frankly, given this thread, I think Pepsi did a good job in persuading everyone that this is for the Olympics at this time of the year, and thus remain visible.

Brilliant.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Don't be surprised if they record a bunch of people chanting it and pump it through the sound system at the games. Pepsi will probably throw a lot of money at the organizers to do just that, and turn it into an advertising opportunity somehow.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
The cheer is so ****ing damn lame. I mean really...I rather sing the National Anthem during the games as a cheer.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC

Incredible insight. I didn't even think of that.

rydude189

Oct 22, 2003
www.rydude.tk

Bang on. Be a sponsor without being an official Olympic sponsor. Much cheaper too.

I will also add, Laurentian University's ISM (Institute for Sport Marketing) did some research for Pepsi on chants at sport games. Conclusion was that chanting improved the team, presented the data to Pepsi, helped in their decision to start the whole cheer campaign for Canada at the World Jr's.

Did a quick google search and found these articles on it:
http://hockeycanada56.prismx.net/index.php/ci_id/66143/la_id/1.htm
http://www.marketingmag.ca/english/news/marketer/article.jsp?content=20090902_171800_6308

Last edited:

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
I'm sure they got a ton of votes for "Go Coca Cola"

I liked C-Eh!-N-Eh!-D-Eh!, but Go Canada Go is good

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Doesn't matter to me what they chant during the games. All I know is what they'll be singing at the end of the gold medal game.

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
Contrived..... Lame......it reminds me of the electronic clap and noise promp you see at all the NHL arenas....... What I would like to see, in a perfect world, come out of this tournament is....... Kipper steals the show and gets the MVP of the tourney, Iggy is named captain and does well, if any other Flame makes it to the Olympics they also do well, none of the participating Flames get hurt.... Luongo stinks the joint out in his home rink and wears the goat horns..... the participating Flames take their Olympic experiance and turn it into a Stanley Cup for Calgary.... my cheer for this tourney will be Go Flames Go when and where ever they are involved....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad