Confirmed with Link: Egor Yakovlev signed to a one-year, entry-level contract

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Still not much information out there on the rumors that we will sign Yakovlev. Elliot Friedman mentioned the Devils's pursuit in his column:

12. There are a few Russian free-agent defenders to keep an eye on at the upcoming World Championships: New Jersey is expected to sign 26-year-old Egor Yakovlev. Overseas reports link Arizona to Ilya Lyubushkin. I can’t pin down the team, but it appears there is an agreement somewhere with Alexander Yelesin. And several clubs continue to chase Bogdan Kiselevich. He’s 28. That’s two years older than Yakovlev, four above Lyubushkin.

31 Thoughts: How different will Maple Leafs look in 2018–19? - Sportsnet.ca

but... that's pretty much it. I'm not sure if he's just regurgitating the original rumor linked here:
Devils close to deal with defenseman Yegor Yakovlev

Stay tuned...

Reactions: nugg

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
You can never have too much defensive depth, especially since the Devils could lose LD John Moore to free agency and are likely to trade one of Ds Mueller, Lovejoy, Santini or Severson

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
You have a source on this, Steve?

Nope. It's just a hunch that Shero, watching the Tampa series, is going to try very hard to upgrade the blueline.

As Vatanen, Greene and Butcher are locks, I can't see NJ going into with more than 3 of the 5 listed D (Moore, Mueller, Lovejoy, Santini, Severson) all returning to the roster. Whereas Moore could leave without compensation, any of Mueller, Lovejoy and Santini could be used to recoup a mid-round draft pick or two. Severson, of course, has the most value of the 5 -- he could garner quite the return if Shero decided to go in that direction.

I'm also hoping (along with many Devils fans) that the team makes a play in UFA for RD John Carlson.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Jesus Christ, I give the **** up, I will never figure out this CBA. That just makes no goddamn sense. Why the **** would a guy move half way across the world when he could be shipped to the minors to make $70k.

Didn’t that happen to the guy who signed with Vegas from the KHL and he ended up leaving mid season?

Reactions: Blackjack

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Jesus Christ, I give the **** up, I will never figure out this CBA. That just makes no goddamn sense. Why the **** would a guy move half way across the world when he could be shipped to the minors to make $70k.

A lot of contracts for older Russian players like this will include KHL out clauses that if they don't make the NHL team, they can go play in Russia under this deal instead.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Nope. It's just a hunch that Shero, watching the Tampa series, is going to try very hard to upgrade the blueline.

As Vatanen, Greene and Butcher are locks, I can't see NJ going into with more than 3 of the 5 listed D (Moore, Mueller, Lovejoy, Santini, Severson) all returning to the roster. Whereas Moore could leave without compensation, any of Mueller, Lovejoy and Santini could be used to recoup a mid-round draft pick or two. Severson, of course, has the most value of the 5 -- he could garner quite the return if Shero decided to go in that direction.

I'm also hoping (along with many Devils fans) that the team makes a play in UFA for RD John Carlson.
Ya, but if they trade one of the guys you mention, I would think that would be part of getting that upgrade.

Especially Sev's or Santini, trading either of those guys for draft picks is def not something I would do. Going backwards on the timeline. Mueller too for that matter.

I dunno, I'm just not seeing what this Yakovlev is supposed to bring to the table.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
2-way deal doesn't mean his AHL salary would be $70k. His AHL salary could be quite significant. It would just be different from his NHL salary.

Tanaka

Aug 15, 2014
I hope they sign this guy but im not holding my breath with all these BS Russian rumors

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad