Confirmed with Link: Egor Yakovlev signed to a one-year, entry-level contract

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
At least the random KHL signings can actually play some hockey in some form lol

I'd definitely take this over bringing in guys like Boulton, Peters, etc. At the very least Yakoklev could help Binghamton, and lord knows they could use some help after this last season. Plus he's got a cool sounding name that Steve and Dano are going to completely butcher, which is entertainment in itself.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I liked Auvitu, but not every signing like this works out. What isn't to like about free assets that may actually help the team?

You never know when you might hit on something with these types of signings. These guys are playing at the top levels in their countries so they clearly have some ability.

Reactions: nugg and Blender

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
OV2 is fine. Solid bottom pairing defender. Did well when he played in EDM too this year.

Hopefully this guy does well. Free asset. If there's one need we desperately have it's the left side of the defense. Hopefully he can play a smart transition game. Just has to beat Mueller out if Moore walks.

Reactions: Bleedred

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
"Yakovlev, 26, is yet another talented member of KHL powerhouse SKA. Teammates like Ilya Kovalchuk, Nikita Gusev, Sergei Plotnikov and Mikko Koskinen are among many on the roster who could sign in the NHL this summer, but Yakovlev seems to be closest to a concrete deal. Yakovlev lost games due to injury in 2017-18, but last season set career highs with 21 points and a +30 rating in 56 games. He made up for some missed time this year with a strong showing for Russia at the Olympics as well, skating on the team’s top pair. A high-energy two-way defenseman, Yakovlev certainly appears to have the talent to push for a regular role in the NHL"

The bolded does line up with what Shero and Hynes want. The high energy part goes for fwd's and d-men alike.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I know Russians can have a stigma, but looking at the style of play/games played in a KHL season, I can imagine the jump to the NHL being difficult. One could add in the political stress between our two countries as a factor, as well a the language berrier.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
good article, thanks for sharing. i still don't see him making an impact in the NHL anytime soon, but who knows

It's so hard to tell these days. We've seen players come over from the KHL and never touch an NHL roster, and we've seen a player come over and become an instant top liner and win the Calder. Just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think this was a good signing by you guys. I've watched Yakovlev play many matches over the past few years. I thought a year ago he would've definitely made it in the NHL. This past season I didn't think he was all that good. If he can get back to his playing level from a year ago, I don't see why he couldn't be a bottom pairing defenseman or better. Worst case scenario, he's like a 7th D type of player. Good skater, passes the puck well, can put up some points, although he's not offensively dynamic. The question is his defense. I didn't think he defended well this past season.

Someone mentioned Dyblenko. I don't think thats a good comparison. Yakovlev was way more accomplished before coming to NA than Dyblenko was. There's a chance he ends up similar to Dyblenko in that he never really contributes in the NHL, but I don't think it would be because he's comparable to Dyblenko.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I think this was a good signing by you guys. I've watched Yakovlev play many matches over the past few years. I thought a year ago he would've definitely made it in the NHL. This past season I didn't think he was all that good. If he can get back to his playing level from a year ago, I don't see why he couldn't be a bottom pairing defenseman or better. Worst case scenario, he's like a 7th D type of player. Good skater, passes the puck well, can put up some points, although he's not offensively dynamic. The question is his defense. I didn't think he defended well this past season.

Someone mentioned Dyblenko. I don't think thats a good comparison. Yakovlev was way more accomplished before coming to NA than Dyblenko was. There's a chance he ends up similar to Dyblenko in that he never really contributes in the NHL, but I don't think it would be because he's comparable to Dyblenko.

thanks for the writeup! so if i'm reading that correctly, he's not offensively gifted, and he needs to work on his defensive game. that's probably not good, but there's no risk so whatever

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
thanks for the writeup! so if i'm reading that correctly, he's not offensively gifted, and he needs to work on his defensive game. that's probably not good, but there's no risk so whatever

I would say he's a puck-moving defenseman. He's best in the transition game. I think he has slightly above-average offensive capabilities, but nothing dynamic. He's not going to be like Butcher. Maybe second PP, if there aren't other options. Weaknesses are on the defensive side. If he plays like two years ago, his defense could be passable in a regular lineup spot. If he plays more like this past season, might be looking more at a 7th D. Definitely a low-risk signing, and maybe you get a competent NHL'er out of it.

Reactions: MartyOwns

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
LD
Butcher
Greene
Mueller
Yakovlev

RD
Vatanen
Severson
Lovejoy
Santini

I would still like to try and sign Carlson and trade for a top LD but if that fails, i'm comfortable in heading to the regular season with those 8D.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'm comfortable starting the regular season with those 8, but not finishing the season with those 8.

...unless we see some serious improvement/capabilities from one of Mueller, Santini or Yakovlev. If one of those guys can step into a 2nd pair role and earn it, that would be huge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad