Ego vs Immortality Framed Forever

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I hope some day after Armstrong retires he decides to write a book about all his hockey experiences where a lot of these details are revealed. I can’t think of another player here who is in a position to do it. But I think Armstrong’s professionalism will prevent him from ever doing that, even after he leaves the game.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Armstrong said himself in the interview after Pietrangelo left that offers had gone back and forth during the season ( 2019-2020 ) and that the Blues did offer signing bonuses and NMC to protect the final years of his contract. Armstrong and the Blues moved into territory they had never gone before to accommodate a player. To me that says Pietrangelo was the one not willing to negotiate and it's the reason I'm glad we have Armstrong as our GM.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Armstrong said himself in the interview after Pietrangelo left that offers had gone back and forth during the season ( 2019-2020 ) and that the Blues did offer signing bonuses and NMC to protect the final years of his contract. Armstrong and the Blues moved into territory they had never gone before to accommodate a player. To me that says Pietrangelo was the one not willing to negotiate and it's the reason I'm glad we have Armstrong as our GM.

Did he really do that or was he just saying that because he didn't offer that and saying it to save face.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

mike1320

EnchantingOldAmericanavocet-size_restricted.gif

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002

Did he really do that or was he just saying that because he didn't offer that and saying it to save face.

The idea that any of these parties would outright lie about the negotiations doesn't make any sense. Too much to lose for no tangible benefit.
He could be 100% correct and still not painting an accurate picture of things. "We went back and forth during the season" could = "we exchanged numbers once and said we weren't satisfied with each other's figures, and didn't talk again after that." It be would true - they did go back and forth ... one time - but certainly nothing near "we talked several times during the season and were in contact quite a bit otherwise."

The comment about a NMC was "modified NMC" which lacks any meaning. The comment about signing bonus was "some signing bonus." Armstrong's vision of "it protects the final years of his contract" and Pietrangelo's vision of that could be wildly different. @Brian39 had great examples of this kind of stuff earlier here. I think I've used a personal experience before: it's like one side saying "we offered him a raise for passing his exam and making ACAS and a bonus after, we don't understand what the problem was" and not stating the proposed raise was $100 instead of the $12-15K expected and the bonus offered was $60 instead of $6000. Well, they're right - they did offer a raise and a bonus but it's certainly nothing like what the other side was expecting or like what anyone else familiar with how that stuff works would have expected.

Words can leave lots of room for ambiguity. Details matter.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad