Ego vs Immortality Framed Forever

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Maybe I'm overreacting but after some of the stuff I'm seeing. I always though Petro was good person and class act. Now my views of him has changed.

In years past, we all had to deal with former Blues players like Hull, Shanahan and Pronger hoisting the Cup in Jerseys other then the Note. I have a framed picture of the first ever Blues player to hoist the Cup hanging on the wall in my office...a moment that made me so proud to be an Blues fan and proud for all other and orginal Blues fans from the team’s inception and it was a moment that brought tears to my eyes. Thinking of every single player that so proudly wore that Jersey and worked so hard to bring the Cup to St. Louis. A picture that would probably be the mold of another statute to be displayed outside the Enterprise Center next to Hull, MAC and Ferderko And now to have that player a team captain no less essentially leave for what??? To trade all the honor, prestige and immortality that lies within the Blues community to be “THAT CAPTAIN” to bring home the Cup just for you to TURN YOUR BACK makes me shake my head now when I look at that picture...when it should have always brought a sense of joy to look upon it for the rest of my life...it now also brings a sense of disappointment of a player’s loss of a sense of where he stood in The Blues storied history then, now and in the future sad when personal pride obscures a person’s vision. I just want to take that picture down and put in storage room. Former Blues that understand the history of the Note and the honor they hold for having played for it...for a hell of a lot less money as well!!! Players that will always be welcomed to any Blues reunion hard to imagine a reunion for Petro when he chose to turn his back from the franchise even if he was the first Blues Player and Captain ever to hoist the Cup and even if he will forever be immortalized in that picture and even if his ego stood in his way to see that.

STICKIED FOR MOD WARNING: Last straw. If you make a post that isn't productively contributing to the topic or conversation moving forward, you will simply be banned from the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
with backes you knew it was legit, with captain creampuff, you can tell its just an act. no legit "family guy" moves his wife and kids to north america's biggest and craziest party city LOL. people can try to justify it all they want lol.

i wish him all the best but people need to drop giving him Pronger treatment. he never was even close to being Pronger 2.0 so stop it right now. The Pronger trade set us back YEARS, this move (or lack of move I guess) is actually gonna benefit us moving forward just like it enabled the Cards to go on a run in 2013 without Albert. (and if they had a real manager and not Matheny, they would have won in 2012 too).

Blues will win a cup before the Knights do.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Vegas valued Pietro more than Blues.

If front office doesnt want to give security for their franchise face and some other team are giving safest contract what you can get, your kids can grow up in one place, have same familiars faces around him, same school, same friends. Pietro valued his family before hardballed contract and be afraid of full 8-years if I decline I might be traded. I think this most reasonable thing you think of, it shows how down the earth guy Pietro is.

What you think does Army have picture of Pietro hoisting Stanley Cup in his office? If he had Pietro would be Blues for life.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I was going to write a long, poetic story, but I've been told I have exactly 15 minutes before I'm locked out of the upstairs and can sleep on the couch. [Married guys, insert your own jokes here about how on occasional nights that's a step up from where your spouse thinks you probably should be sleeping.] So, let's do the short version.

Brett Farve went from beloved GOAT in Green Bay to "damn it, why did he have to leave" when he went to the Jets, to Public Enemy #1 when he went to Minnesota. Packers fans hated him. Like, f***ing hated him. Like, trashed jerseys and threw away merchandise and refused to go to his steakhouse and viscerally screamed at anything representing him kind of f***ing hated him. He wasn't just playing for another team, he was playing for the motherf***ing Vikings - and anyone who goes from the Packers to the Vikings is a traitor. (The only thing worse would have been going to the Bears.) And after Farve retired, there was all kinds of animosity from the fans toward Farve. But over time, that hate wore off some and Farve reached out and tried to make good, and when his number was retired by the Packers he was greeted with a hero's welcome and embraced by Packers fans and he's beloved by Packers fans today who remember all the great times Farve brought them and the Super Bowl he won for them.

That may have to be what happens with Pietrangelo and Blues fans. (Hopefully we skip the "playing for a mortal enemy and he can burn in f***ing hell for that" part.) Emotions are raw, they're going to be for a while, it may have to be years down the road and several years after he's done playing, but eventually I think Blues fans are going to look back at 2019 and say you know what, he was our Captain, that was a glorious time and it was the best time of our lives as Blues fans, ... we need to put what happened aside and open our arms and welcome him back so we can celebrate that Cup for the rest of our lives like we want to always remember it.

And if people are really going to harbor hate for years to come because he left here for another team, ... well, that's one way to go through life, but I can think of better ways to do it. Or, I can think of more personal affronts that merit that kind of baseline hatred that could/should be carried for the rest of one's life.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Didn't Brett Hull leave over an NTC and win the cup the next year with Dallas? He still got his statue and banner and is beloved by everyone and he even played for that stacked Detroit squad. He committed far worse crimes to the fans than Petro leaving over a full nmc imo
comparing a HOF to 27 is pretty unfair to 27. he will not be a HOF player.

27 is basically equal to a Jim Edmonds or maybe a Scott Rolen (but those players are still IMO better at their sport than 27 was). Very good players but in Edmonds case, not a HOFer.

Reactions: mike1320

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I was going to write a long, poetic story, but I've been told I have exactly 15 minutes before I'm locked out of the upstairs and can sleep on the couch. [Married guys, insert your own jokes here about how on occasional nights that's a step up from where your spouse thinks you probably should be sleeping.] So, let's do the short version.

Brett Farve went from beloved GOAT in Green Bay to "damn it, why did he have to leave" when he went to the Jets, to Public Enemy #1 when he went to Minnesota. Packers fans hated him. Like, f***ing hated him. Like, trashed jerseys and threw away merchandise and refused to go to his steakhouse and viscerally screamed at anything representing him kind of f***ing hated him. He wasn't just playing for another team, he was playing for the motherf***ing Vikings - and anyone who goes from the Packers to the Vikings is a traitor. (The only thing worse would have been going to the Bears.) And after Farve retired, there was all kinds of animosity from the fans toward Farve. But over time, that hate wore off some and Farve reached out and tried to make good, and when his number was retired by the Packers he was greeted with a hero's welcome and embraced by Packers fans and he's beloved by Packers fans today who remember all the great times Farve brought them and the Super Bowl he won for them.

That may have to be what happens with Pietrangelo and Blues fans. (Hopefully we skip the "playing for a mortal enemy and he can burn in f***ing hell for that" part.) Emotions are raw, they're going to be for a while, it may have to be years down the road and several years after he's done playing, but eventually I think Blues fans are going to look back at 2019 and say you know what, he was our Captain, that was a glorious time and it was the best time of our lives as Blues fans, ... we need to put what happened aside and open our arms and welcome him back so we can celebrate that Cup for the rest of our lives like we want to always remember it.

And if people are really going to harbor hate for years to come because he left here for another team, ... well, that's one way to go through life, but I can think of better ways to do it. Or, I can think of more personal affronts that merit that kind of baseline hatred that could/should be carried for the rest of one's life.
Agreed, especially on the married guys part!

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I’m not gonna get into who’s the good guy vs bad guy in the negotiations or anything like that. I don’t have enough information to make that opinion. They just didn’t agree on a contract and that’s that. I’m sure both sides could have done more.

I will say that as good of a player as Petro is, I’ve never cared for his personality. He is one of those guys that would complain to the media about officiating and things like that. I never like to see that type of whining from a captain. Obviously he did captain us to a Cup so I of course appreciate that.

I don’t know enough about him personally, and don’t dislike the guy. But I haven’t ever been a fan of the Golden Knights, so that part won’t change. I won’t be rooting for him to have any success there, mainly because of the team.

Reactions: Vollie27

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
A GM with no ego who wanted the team to have the best players to succeed would have signed Pie long before Faulk. Now that we know the details, there is NO reason Army couldn’t have come to terms and signed him.

As much as Pie’s personality/ego/etc might have/could have/had any play in this, he’s only an employee and his boss was already making moves and giving out raises long before discussing anything with Pie, so take that as you will.

No matter what, Pie’s # will be retired, he will get a statue and he will be immortalized. Saying that, I still prefer Pat Maroon over him. Sorry not sorry lol.

Reactions: smitty10

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
A GM with no ego who wanted the team to have the best players to succeed would have signed Pie long before Faulk. Now that we know the details, there is NO reason Army couldn’t have come to terms and signed him.

As much as Pie’s personality/ego/etc might have/could have/had any play in this, he’s only an employee and his boss was already making moves and giving out raises long before discussing anything with Pie, so take that as you will.
There were some contract discussions last summer before they got tabled for the season. There's no details about those discussions, so who knows who wasn't budging from their initial asks during those.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Maybe I'm overreacting but after some of the stuff I'm seeing. I always though Petro was good person and class act. Now my views of him has changed.

In years past, we all had to deal with former Blues players like Hull, Shanahan and Pronger hoisting the Cup in Jerseys other then the Note. I have a framed picture of the first ever Blues player to hoist the Cup hanging on the wall in my office...a moment that made me so proud to be an Blues fan and proud for all other and orginal Blues fans from the team’s inception and it was a moment that brought tears to my eyes. Thinking of every single player that so proudly wore that Jersey and worked so hard to bring the Cup to St. Louis. A picture that would probably be the mold of another statute to be displayed outside the Enterprise Center next to Hull, MAC and Ferderko And now to have that player a team captain no less essentially leave for what??? To trade all the honor, prestige and immortality that lies within the Blues community to be “THAT CAPTAIN” to bring home the Cup just for you to TURN YOUR BACK makes me shake my head now when I look at that picture...when it should have always brought a sense of joy to look upon it for the rest of my life...it now also brings a sense of disappointment of a player’s loss of a sense of where he stood in The Blues storied history then, now and in the future sad when personal pride obscures a person’s vision. I just want to take that picture down and put in storage room. Former Blues that understand the history of the Note and the honor they hold for having played for it...for a hell of a lot less money as well!!! Players that will always be welcomed to any Blues reunion hard to imagine a reunion for Petro when he chose to turn his back from the franchise even if he was the first Blues Player and Captain ever to hoist the Cup and even if he will forever be immortalized in that picture and even if his ego stood in his way to see that.

Paragraphs are your friend, holy hell this is hard to read.

And all it took was one Andy Strickland interview for you to go from one end of the spectrum to the other? Did you at least spend 30 seconds in the middle?

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Paragraphs are your friend, holy hell this is hard to read.

And all it took was one Andy Strickland interview for you to go from one end of the spectrum to the other? Did you at least spend 30 seconds in the middle?

Yes sorry the emotion got the better of me. I'm over it and didn't mean to make this thread.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I just can't get on board with the whole Honor and Pride shit. It's recreation and it's a business. Yea, there's a significant community element, but we're talking about regular ass human beings who play a game and fans who want to be entertained.

We don't really know what Pietrangelo's personal relationship was like with various people in the organization, what's going on in his family life, or any number of other details that would illuminate his reasoning. It's okay to be bummed the Blues lost him or frustrated with the narratives from him, his agency, or the Blues - any number of things. I think there are things we know and can safely infer that understandably leave a bad taste in your mouth. But I can't leap across the chasm to where you are. I'm not sure I can even see the other side from where I am. And you're talking to someone who has watched the highlights of the entire 2019 playoffs multiple times and the highlights of the final game dozens of times.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I just can't get on board with the whole Honor and Pride shit. It's recreation and it's a business. Yea, there's a significant community element, but we're talking about regular ass human beings who play a game and fans who want to be entertained.

We don't really know what Pietrangelo's personal relationship was like with various people in the organization, what's going on in his family life, or any number of other details that would illuminate his reasoning. It's okay to be bummed the Blues lost him or frustrated with the narratives from him, his agency, or the Blues - any number of things. I think there are things we know and can safely infer that understandably leave a bad taste in your mouth. But I can't leap across the chasm to where you are. I'm not sure I can even see the other side from where I am. And you're talking to someone who has watched the highlights of the entire 2019 playoffs multiple times and the highlights of the final game dozens of times.

Yeah the honor and pride thing is just external pressure on a guy to make bad decisions because it would be nice for the team.

CitizenSnips

TheFightingMongooses
Nov 23, 2011
St. Louis

No matter what, Pie’s # will be retired, he will get a statue and he will be immortalized. Saying that, I still prefer Pat Maroon over him. Sorry not sorry lol.
I do not chime in often here, I love the people and the conversations but it can become crazy at times. What I WILL say is this...Everyone need to stop comparing the Faulk signing as "the reason we couldn't re-sign Petro" and Krug as "a poor Petro replacement". I am not saying you said either although I have seen some people say different things on the main board vs. here. I have 4 sweaters in my closet currently. Pronger, Backes, Petro...and a winter classic thats blank. I now refuse to put anyone on this sweater just as I did with my 86 sweater I got for my 5th Bday and wanted Sutter on but my uncle advised me not to. Every other sweater has been bitter, disappointing, and confusing.

All that said, I truly wish Petro the best of luck playing against 29 (soon to be 30) other teams but its done. I refuse to blame Army on this move as I think it was correct and we have a lot of options and great players moving forward. His boss SHOULD be looking at moves which don't have any impact on him. If Petro really wanted to be here, we would have made that happen. He left over the difference of a couple million dollars when making 60+. Thats his call and its fine but at that point, no number will be retired. He isn't a HOF'er and will get a good minute on the jumbotron when he returns but that will be it. He was the first Blues player to touch the cup but we got the best out of him and this contract will decline. He will always be remembered here but not the way he could have been if he wanted it to be so...

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I'd rather see 57 on the rafters and in statue. That guy came back TWICE. He wanted to be here.

AND...he won the Cup like Petro.

IMO, DP57 was our best player in the regular season that ended with COVID. He also gave a shit during the COVID Cup. Outside of his occasional offensive zone penalties, he plays to win.

I know, DP will never make the rafters, he will never be a statue, but he's what you want. He WANTS to be here.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I'm not mad, just a little disappointed.

Looking forward to this season...can't think of better bulletin board material for the very good group of players still here!

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
So long 27, you decided money over loyalty. That's alright, you do you I suppose. Time to move on to the 20-21 Blues.

Why in sports does loyalty only go one way when it comes to fans anger? The athlete is the loyal dog who is expected to run through fire for its owner. But nobody questions the owner's loyalty for telling his "beloved" dog to run through mother-f***ing fire. I don't know, that's probably a mixed metaphor, or a plain bad analogy. The point is that it takes two to tango, there are two sides to every story and all that jazz. The athlete shouldn't be expected to take whatever offer the team gives him strictly out of loyalty regardless of how he's been treated.

As a point of clarification, my issue with Armstrong is not "disloyalty" but stupidity in tying $13M up for 7 years on two god awful defensive D-men while letting a good one go. Its a roster construction issue , not a loyalty, honor, immortality or any of that nonsense.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I do not chime in often here, I love the people and the conversations but it can become crazy at times. What I WILL say is this...Everyone need to stop comparing the Faulk signing as "the reason we couldn't re-sign Petro" and Krug as "a poor Petro replacement". I am not saying you said either although I have seen some people say different things on the main board vs. here. I have 4 sweaters in my closet currently. Pronger, Backes, Petro...and a winter classic thats blank. I now refuse to put anyone on this sweater just as I did with my 86 sweater I got for my 5th Bday and wanted Sutter on but my uncle advised me not to. Every other sweater has been bitter, disappointing, and confusing.

All that said, I truly wish Petro the best of luck playing against 29 (soon to be 30) other teams but its done. I refuse to blame Army on this move as I think it was correct and we have a lot of options and great players moving forward. His boss SHOULD be looking at moves which don't have any impact on him. If Petro really wanted to be here, we would have made that happen. He left over the difference of a couple million dollars when making 60+. Thats his call and its fine but at that point, no number will be retired. He isn't a HOF'er and will get a good minute on the jumbotron when he returns but that will be it. He was the first Blues player to touch the cup but we got the best out of him and this contract will decline. He will always be remembered here but not the way he could have been if he wanted it to be so...

I will go on record by saying that while Faulk is no Pie, he isn’t trash either - top 4 DMAN imo.

Reactions: CitizenSnips

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I completely agree with Majorityofl. I am not even going to comment on the subject of Pietrangelo's loyalty, much less his sincerity. I will say that I am absolutely furious with Doug Armstrong because of the poor decisions he has made. Instead of doing everything to keep one of the best two-way defensemen in the NHL, he chose to give seven-year contracts to two one dimensional blueliners, both of whom play a style that will not age well. Our defense is now top-heavy with defensively deficient players, and we have basically one that is really effective in playing a sheltering role. This is indeed about roster construction, and I haven't been so angry since we lost Scott Stevens. I wish Pietrangelo well.

Last edited:

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I completely agree with Majorityofl. I am not even going to comment on the subject of Pietrangelo's loyalty, much less his sincerity. I will say that I am absolutely furious with Doug Armstrong because of the poor decisions he has made. Instead of doing everything to keep one of the best two-way defensemen in the NHL, he chose to give seven-year contracts to two one dimensional blueliners, both of whom play a style that will not age well. Our defense is now top-heavy with defensively deficient players, and we have basically one that is really effective in playing a sheltering role. This is indeed about roster construction, and I haven't been so angry since we lost Scott Stevens. I wish Pietrangelo well.

I agree Simon, I'm furious at Armstrong It should've not happened. Since the cup win he has made piss poor decisions that costed Pietrangelo. Now we have Krug and Faulk I'm trying not to rage again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad