Confirmed with Link: Eetu Luostarinen signs ELC

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
This mgmt team is so predictable. Young kid with promise and offensive talent, we’ll stick him back in Charlotte. We’ll keep the guy that doesn’t bring much every night because he has done this before.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This mgmt team is so predictable. Young kid with promise and offensive talent, we’ll stick him back in Charlotte. We’ll keep the guy that doesn’t bring much every night because he has done this before.

I was think it’s simply the that the guy they sent back to the AHL is a center and Haula, a center, is the guy coming back into the lineup. I know we like to think we can just move guys to different positions, but that’s not always best for the team or players.

The team has used and/or promoted Svech, Foegele, Wallmark and Necas in the past year+(As well as Aho) so they have shown they aren’t afraid to play young kids in key roles.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I was think it’s simply the that the guy they sent back to the AHL is a center and Haula, a center, is the guy coming back into the lineup. I know we like to think we can just move guys to different positions, but that’s not always best for the team or players.

The team has used and/or promoted Svech, Foegele, Wallmark and Necas in the past year+(As well as Aho) so they have shown they aren’t afraid to play young kids in key roles.

And even so, they did it slowly, keeping them in sheltered minutes until they proved that they were ready for more. The worst thing that you can do for guys that weren't NHL-ready at 18 is to rush them into roles that they can't handle. That's asking to turn into Edmonton.

Reactions: DaveG and zman77

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
it's pretty obvious they're all in on doing dozens of paper transactions if they have to in order to squeeze every cap dollar they can, so they can add salary at the deadline without losing a roster player. whether that's Justin Williams or whoever.

last year it was Haydn Fleury shuttling back and forth between Raleigh and Charlotte, and right now Eetu is first in line for that role. the fact that Luostarinen isn't out of place centering a 4th line means he's probably going to get lots of opportunities for a game here and there before he sticks for good.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
The checkers dont even play again until Friday- depending on their practice schedule he may not even leave Raleigh. maybe drive down to Charlotte for a practice and then hop on the plane to buffalo with rest of the team

Reactions: DaveG

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I know I am alone on this.

Haula is a goal-scorer. But the fact is he doesn't create goals for his wingers. In 161 minutes of 5-on-5 he has one secondary assist—mostly playing with Dzingel and Necas. A 1C needs to create goals for his wingers.

Try Haula on the wing—why can we conceive Aho on the wing but not Haula?

You're not alone, so much as you're just wrong. A 1C does *not* "need to create goals for his wingers." There is no such rule. In fact, in most modern systems, there's no difference between a winger or a center *offensively* and there is no guideline that a center *should* be a playmaker or that a winger *should* be a scorer.

The only difference between wingers and centers in the modern NHL is in defensive responsibilities. Haula has shown over his six-plus seasons in the NHL that he can handle the stress and responsibility of being an NHL center. Moving either Aho or Haula from center to wing will affect *neither* of them offensively.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
You're not alone, so much as you're just wrong. A 1C does *not* "need to create goals for his wingers." There is no such rule.
He does not need to—but on 29 of the 30 other teams he does. The only team last season where the 1C had more goals was Toronto. Haula is a goal-scorer but he is *not* Matthews nor Tavares. The 96% might be a coincidence.
Of course the other two times you have stated I was "just wrong" was when I opined that the Canes should re-sign McBackup if it was less than $4M for 2 years—you said that was much too low. When I didn't have Kochetkov on my top prospects list you asked if I "forgot" or was "just wrong."

If loving your replies is wrong—I don't wanna be right.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
LUOS is pronounced like SOUL backwards.

Then add -tarinen.

Why does this pop into my head now...

giphy.gif

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
He does not need to—but on 29 of the 30 other teams he does. The only team last season where the 1C had more goals was Toronto. Haula is a goal-scorer but he is *not* Matthews nor Tavares. The 96% might be a coincidence.
Of course the other two times you have stated I was "just wrong" was when I opined that the Canes should re-sign McBackup if it was less than $4M for 2 years—you said that was much too low. When I didn't have Kochetkov on my top prospects list you asked if I "forgot" or was "just wrong."

If loving your replies is wrong—I don't wanna be right.

I feel it's important to note a couple of things. No. 1, Haula isn't our No. 1 center. And No. 2, the guy who *is* out No. 1 center currently has 8 goals and 5 assists.

There are also two assist for most goals, and centers get a many assists accidentally -- i.e. off faceoffs. There are many reasons that most centers have more assists than goals, and they very likely correlate to the fact that most NHL players have more assists than goals. You're belief that centers need to be playmakers just isn't borne out by the way NHL franchises run their teams.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
You're not alone, so much as you're just wrong. A 1C does *not* "need to create goals for his wingers." There is no such rule. In fact, in most modern systems, there's no difference between a winger or a center *offensively* and there is no guideline that a center *should* be a playmaker or that a winger *should* be a scorer.

The only difference between wingers and centers in the modern NHL is in defensive responsibilities. Haula has shown over his six-plus seasons in the NHL that he can handle the stress and responsibility of being an NHL center. Moving either Aho or Haula from center to wing will affect *neither* of them offensively.

I suspect that changing/increasing a player's defensive responsibility would affect their offensive production.

Also, aren't centers and wings still positioned differently in d-zone coverage/breakout position and therefore on average different in how often they are carrying the puck through the neutral zone and o-zone entry?

Would be interesting to see data on this...can't say I'm 100% certain...but I would be surprised if forward position actually had no impact on offensive production.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Fortunately, we don't have to deal with inconsistencies like this in the English language, since we have the Standard of Consistent Pronunciations.

"Oh, Lempo, please tell us how Luostarinen is written with the International Phonetic Alphabet?"

Don't mind if I do: ˈluo̞̯s̠t̪ɑrine̞n

Reactions: ookhaab and geehaad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad