Confirmed Signing with Link: Eeli Tolvanen [NSH] signed. Max bonuses, European assignment clause

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I had no idea you could do that on an ELC with the AHL agreement.
Tryamkin signed something similar, so when the Canucks wanted to send him down at the beginning of his second season (pretty much his first season), he refused and threatened to walk, so he was a healthy scratch for a little while. I think that's when the relationship really started to go south.

Reactions: SI90

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Now list the rest of the 9 forwards...

Tolvanen-Barkov-Laine
Aho-Rantanen-Teräväinen
Haula-Koivu-Granlund
Armia-Filppula-Donskoi

Xtras: Vesalainen, Puljujärvi, lehkonen

Vatanen-Lindell
Ristolainen-Nutivaara
Määttä-Heiskanen
Honka

Rinne
Raanta
Rask

I`d actually go against anyone with this team.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
I was really hoping the Sharks were going to take him, but they did the usual Sharks thing and drafted Josh Norris. Very interested to see if Tolvanen lives up to the hype.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I was really hoping the Sharks were going to take him, but they did the usual Sharks thing and drafted Josh Norris. Very interested to see if Tolvanen lives up to the hype.

I`d expect Tolvanen to get 3rd line minutes and PP mostly. He is really good at the slot. He does need to build up strenght to succeed in the NHL though. I dont think he will be a "Laine" straight away, but the potential to be a 30/30 player in the future is there.

Reactions: 42 and Papa Joe19

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
That will likely make Tolvanen expansion draft eligible. Interesting times.
How many games he needs to pay to have 2017-18 counted as a season for XD purposes? There was talk about Casey Mittelstadt burning a year off his ELC in the remaining games of BUF this spring but still being uneligible for a 2020 expansion draft due to the minuscule amount of games.

There may well be an understanding between NSH and Eeli that he doesn't play above 9 games this spring (unless necessary), and thusly will have his ELC Slide this season, but then he would also not be eligible for Slide anymore in season 2018-19.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
In any case Tolvanen needs to be very very good to actually get the $2M of Schedule B bonus money. Top 10 in league in G/A/P/PpGP good.

Assists or points no way. But top 10 in goals is plausible. Took 34 goals last season, and Tolvanen's shot is already arguably better than Laine's.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
With those argumenting skills you could end wars

Laine has a great shot in his own right, but Tolvanen is one of the best sniper wingers Finland has ever produced bordering on generational by finnish standards. Only really Selanne comes to mind as competition and he relied more on speed and IQ while shooting is the best attribute of Tolvanen. There are several questionmarks in Tolvanen's game, however his shot is not one of them. Ask any scout if you don't take my word on it.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
How many games he needs to pay to have 2017-18 counted as a season for XD purposes? There was talk about Casey Mittelstadt burning a year off his ELC in the remaining games of BUF this spring but still being uneligible for a 2020 expansion draft due to the minuscule amount of games.

There may well be an understanding between NSH and Eeli that he doesn't play above 9 games this spring (unless necessary), and thusly will have his ELC Slide this season, but then he would also not be eligible for Slide anymore in season 2018-19.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Bob might be wrong there. Andrew Copp signed an ELC and burned a year at the end of 14-15 season, and Winnipeg had to protect him. I believe Mittelstadt, and all the other 20 year old players who have signed in these past couple days and will burn a year off their ELCs here, are in the same boat, unless there's some weird additional age considerations.

But Tolvanen is different because he's younger, unlike all these other guys he doesn't turn 20 this calendar year. So I think he does need 10 or more games to count this as a pro year. Similar to Reinhart, who played 9 NHL games in 14-15 and didn't have to be protected. Bennett played 12 games, and had to be protected.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Surely they're not going to hold him out of playoff games in order to save a year on his ELC.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'm not 100% sure, but I think Bob might be wrong there. Andrew Copp signed an ELC and burned a year at the end of 14-15 season, and Winnipeg had to protect him. I believe Mittelstadt, and all the other 20 year old players who have signed in these past couple days and will burn a year off their ELCs here, are in the same boat, unless there's some weird additional age considerations.

But Tolvanen is different because he's younger, unlike all these other guys he doesn't turn 20 this calendar year. So I think he does need 10 or more games to count this as a pro year. Similar to Reinhart, who played 9 NHL games in 14-15 and didn't have to be protected. Bennett played 12 games, and had to be protected.

Copp had played 15-16 and 16-17 in the NHL prior the Draft, while only one game in 14-15. But you might be right about Bob being wrong, because Casey will by then have similarly played 18-19 and 19-20 before the 2020 XD.

But, then Tolvanen also will have played two seasons (assuming they stay up, of course) by 2020.

Sliding/burning a year off ELC is different from what it considered a played season under XD rules though, because Slide eligibility is age-related whereas the XD eligibility rules are not.

Actually, looking it up, the Vegas XD rules said that:

"All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)."

There was some number about games played, I'm not sure it was ten. Also, a year in AHL is a professional season.

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Sami Niku of WPG/Manitoba Moose has an European Assignment clause too, but is playing in the Moose all the same. It is as said an option the player has. And it's not a bad option if you have leverage ask for it because the player may see his two-way contract traded to any NHL/AHL team any day. The option is only for the duration of the Loan to Minors; if he's called up then he gotta come back.

As for the bonuses, the boy has been a steamroll in KHL and could also have opted to stay out for another year and then re-enter Draft. #leverage

Also I'd like to think NSH is not fully against giving him a Vesey type of contract, because of reasons. In any case Tolvanen needs to be very very good to actually get the $2M of Schedule B bonus money. Top 10 in league in G/A/P/PpGP good.

Pretty sure the lack of transfer agreement with the KHL meant he was Nashville's "property" until he was 27, similar to Kaprizov in Minnesota. He certainly could have stayed in the KHL, but they wouldn't have lost him.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Pretty sure the lack of transfer agreement with the KHL meant he was Nashville's "property" until he was 27, similar to Kaprizov in Minnesota. He certainly could have stayed in the KHL, but they wouldn't have lost him.

Dammit, always something:

CBA 8.6(d):

Players Drafted from a Club Outside North America.
(i) Notwithstanding any provision of Sections 8.6(a) or (b) to the contrary, if a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is drafted from a club outside North America, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.

(ii)Notwithstanding any provision of Sections 8.6(a) or (b) to the contrary, if a Player drafted at age 20 or older is drafted from a club outside North America, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.

(iii)Upon the expiration of the applicable exclusive right of negotiation as outlined in subsections (i) and (ii) above, the Player shall be a draft-related Unrestricted Free Agent.

Good point. Though, Kaprizov was 18 at the time, so it should have been four years for him under Minnesota exclusivity until Draft UFA status. Are you sure there is no confusion to situation where he would have signed an ELC and then follow it up as RFA under Minny control until he's ~27?

Or, more likely, confusion to the Entry-level System rules, according to which player drafted from outside North America is obligated to sign an ELC if he's under 28 years old upon his first entry to the league (whereas NA boys are not subject to Entry-level rules when first time signing at 25 or older).

So, if Kaprizov holds out for two more years, he can sign up with any team, but it will be an Entry-level Contract (of 2 years due to his age). And after that he'll be RFA of that team.

Last edited:

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

He was drafted out of the USHL.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
He was drafted out of the USHL.
Oh, duh. Right you are.

Dammit, always something:

CBA 8.6(d):

Good point. Though, Kaprizov was 18 at the time, so it should have been four years for him under Minnesota exclusivity until Draft UFA status. Are you sure there is no confusion to situation where he would have signed an ELC and then follow it up as RFA under Minny control until he's ~27?

Or, more likely, confusion to the Entry-level System rules, according to which player drafted from outside North America is obligated to sign an ELC if he's under 28 years old upon his first entry to the league (whereas NA boys are not subject to Entry-level rules when first time signing at 25 or older).

So, if Kaprizov holds out for two more years, he can sign up with any team, but it will be an Entry-level Contract (of 2 years due to his age). And after that he'll be RFA of that team.

Doesn't matter for Tolvanen, as mcpw mentions he was USHL drafted. But the KHL rules are different than what's spelled out in the CBA due to lack of transfer agreement. He's Wild property until 27. Per Russo at the Athletic

The good news if you’re a Wild fan is the Wild do own his NHL rights indefinitely. Because there is currently no transfer agreement between the NHL and KHL, an NHL official has told The Athletic that the Wild are at no risk of Kaprizov becoming a free agent. As long as Kaprizov remains under KHL contract, he will be placed in defected status by the NHL.

Another high profile example is Vegas still owning and even trading for Gusev's rights last summer. He was drafted in 2012.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Sliding/burning a year off ELC is different from what it considered a played season under XD rules though, because Slide eligibility is age-related whereas the XD eligibility rules are not.
I have yet to see it explained why Copp had to be protected but players like Mittelstadt/Gaudette/Borgstrom/Greenway wouldn't have to be protected. To me it seems those players are in the same bracket. 20 year olds or older who burn a year off their ELC when they sign.

Tolvanen seems different. He seems to be in that Reinhart/Bennett 18-19 year old bracket, where you have to play 10 or more NHL games to burn a year and be considered a first year professional.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad