Confirmed Signing with Link: Eeli Tolvanen [NSH] signed. Max bonuses, European assignment clause

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
10 games. However that includes playoff games. How deep do the Preds go in the playoffs this season and how many playoff games does Tolvanen play in?
I did not know playoff games counted as well... I thought it was regular season games only. Interesting.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I think they're waiting for him to fly in and officially sign the paper. He was said to be flying in on Wednesday so I expect it to happen tomorrow.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think they're waiting for him to fly in and officially sign the paper. He was said to be flying in on Wednesday so I expect it to happen tomorrow.

May be a regulatory thing that they need to have the inked paper and have it filed (and officially approved) with NHL. Normally his agent would have the power of attorney to sign on his behalf I guess, but in this case Tomi Haula seems to be Finland-based too.

(Yes, Erik's dad. He became an agent/family adviser because he needed to learn the whole shebang in any case for Erik. Apparently things weren't managed perfectly with Erik. Represents Finn guys taking the school/NCAA route, promotes players staying in school until entering the league rinks

Toisenlainen reitti tarjolla – Erik Haulan isä esittelee suomalaisjunnuille Pohjois-Amerikan kouluja (in Finnish from 2015, not Tolvanen-related, but about Tomi Haula and the school route option of Finn players))

edit: brutal Google Translate fun as always:
Google Translate

Another way to go - Erik Haula's father presents North American schools for Finnish jihad

Last edited:

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Yeah, it's all about Slide years. Slide years don't count regardless of where the player is playing (Juniors, NHL, AHL, etc). For example, William Nylander played in the AHL in 2014-15 and had his ELC slide that year. He then split the 2015-16 season between the AHL and NHL, then was full time NHL in 2016-17. He was ruled exempt from the 2017 expansion draft, as only 2015-16 and 2016-17 counted as professional seasons--his 2014-15 Slide year in the AHL didn't count.

Usually playing in the AHL will count because you don't see many 18-19 year olds there who are eligible to slide, but there are a handful of them each season.

there's an exception where a slide year still counts as a professional year for expansion purposes (see Ryan Pulock, Hunter Shinkaruk, etc): if the player signs his ELC at a signing age of 18, but spends his D+2 in the AHL as he's technically 20 years old according to the CHL age rules. Only works for September-December birthdays.

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
there's an exception where a slide year still counts as a professional year for expansion purposes (see Ryan Pulock, Hunter Shinkaruk, etc): if the player signs his ELC at a signing age of 18, but spends his D+1 in the AHL as he's technically 20 years old according to the CHL age rules. Only works for September-December birthdays.

Do you mean the second season after the Draft, so D+2? Draft taking place in June and new season starting July 1st, no one can play in their D+0 season. ELC signing age is determined by the player's age at Sept 15th on the calendar year of signing, so late birthday guy is considered 18 on the starting year of his D+1 season (= and subject to max 2 years of Slide, despite the fact that late birthday guy signing ECL at 19 isn't eligible for Slide at all on account of him turning 20 between Sept 16th - Dec 31st).

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Oh what a poison pill! Not only does he not get the late birthday benefit in the Slide issue if he doesn't play at least 10 NHL games in his first season, and doesn't play the 10 games even in the second, and thusly spends full 5 years in the Entry-level system, but

- if he was Drafted in 2016 Entry Draft from CHL, and thusly is subject to those rules, and
- if he plays his second season in AHL (2017-18) and Slides it,

the second Slide year yet counts as a played professional season (2017-18),
and his "first" ELC season counts anyway as a played professional season (2018-19),

so at the time on the Expansion Draft (2019-20) they are on their 3rd professional season and eligible in the ED.

So. Are there many of these guys from the 2016 Draft? Late birthday guys from CHL with two Slides playing extensively in AHL this year?

Guys here with 1997 birthday are the late birthday ones from 2016 Draft (check for over-yearers though):
2016 NHL Entry Draft

There actually seem to be some: Julien Gauthier (CAR), Nathan Bastian (NJD), Frédéric Allard (NSH), Brandon Gignac (NJD) and Maxime Lajoie (OTT).

Last edited:

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Will be nice for him to get a few games in here. Kinda hoping he doesn’t get he full 10 if only to make the next ED simpler

Reactions: FierceFalcon

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Finland is getting ridiculous... Imagine a line of Tolvanen - Barkov - Laine hahahahha

This guy has never played a day in the NHL. Though chance of success is high, it's no slam dunk and a bit of a stretch so associate him with Barkov & Laine, IMO.

Reactions: 42

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
This guy has never played a day in the NHL. Though chance of success is high, it's no slam dunk and a bit of a stretch so associate him with Barkov & Laine, IMO.

It's in no way a bit of a stretch to compare Tolvanen to Laine. Barkov is on another level, but Laine and Tolvanen are both complementary 40 goal wingers. Tolvanen perhaps a tad better in shooting but Laine has the size advantage along with the better playmaking.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
It's in no way a bit of a stretch to compare Tolvanen to Laine. Barkov is on another level, but Laine and Tolvanen are both complementary 40 goal wingers. Tolvanen perhaps a tad better in shooting but Laine has the size advantage along with the better playmaking.
Laine >> Tolvanen. I can't believe people think Tolvanen is better shooter.

On a more relevant note, it's already Thursday and he was supposed to have flown to Nashville yesterday so we should expect an official signing today or tomorrow at the latest.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Barkov. He's the two-way center of the three.
LOL. Try again! I'll give you a hint. Name starts with T, ends with olvanen. You know, the player who hasn't proven anything in the NHL vs. two of the current top stars in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad