Post-Game Talk: EDSF Game 3 - Craig Smith wins it in double OT - Bruins lead series 2-1

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
seen it happen in lots of sports. seen lebron do it enough times. not what id do but it happens in big moments

Some guys are all emotion in the moment. I do feel this may have been percolating with Ovechkin as Samsonov has allegedly hurt the franchise with questionable off-ice decisions (ATV accident one off season) and selfish behavior (breaking Covid protocols). Still not how I'd handle it.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I'm an unbiased Russian. It pretty much does equate to that. "Whore" in Russian is lovingly referred to as equal to indeterminate article "a" in English. It's more of an expression of frustration, rather than a derogatory term addressed to a specific individual. Having said that, Samsonov did not deserve it after keeping Caps in the game through 80 minutes.
Thank you for providing context and translation.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Some guys are all emotion in the moment. I do feel this may have been percolating with Ovechkin as Samsonov has allegedly hurt the franchise with questionable off-ice decisions (ATV accident one off season) and selfish behavior (breaking Covid protocols). Still not how I'd handle it.
I have no problem with holding Samsonov accountable just do it in the dressing room

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Like Oviratted never made a mistake on the ice.

RawAnxiousCheetah.webp

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’ve decided Samsonov has little blame on the winner. That’s 90 percent on Schultz. He has two full steps on Smith but takes a wide route, probably anticipating a hit.

Samsonov imo did what he needed to do, he saw Smith coming and basically bailed to get back into the net thinking Schultz wouldn’t be a complete idiot

Samsonov just looked over the wrong shoulder, that’s where he erred

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Samsonov imo did what he needed to do, he saw Smith coming and basically bailed to get back into the net thinking Schultz wouldn’t be a complete idiot

Samsonov just looked over the wrong shoulder, that’s where he erred
He could have went back into the net with a little more urgency, but yeah I agree on Schultz.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
One thing that has stood out to me for all 3 games is how gassed the Caps are by the middle of the third period. I think that has given the Bruins the edge in the OTs, they clearly have had more energy than the Caps did.
Did you see the interview with Ovie last night (IIRC) it was before the third period. He could barely talk. Was sucking air like he couldn't catch his breath. Then as the period was about to start he was using smelling salts. He looks pretty worn out.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Stole this from a Caps poster:
Former Capitals goalie Brent Johnson's take on the OT miscue as he gave it in the postgame show last night...

“The miscue is, Samsonov, once he touches the puck back here, he’s gotta go in the same way he came out with the puck because he’s got to provide that interference for Smith,” Johnson said. “So as soon as he stops the puck, he’s got to retrace his steps and provide that interference that he should have and that would have given Schultz — even if there was that miscommunication – that time to go back and grab the puck. [Samsonov] follows it around and keeps going around the net. By the time he looks back and notices that Smith has the puck, it’s behind him in the net.
“Almost every single time, as soon as you stop that puck behind the net, you cannot continue out the opposite side because your back is turned,” he continued. “If you go out the same way you came in, then you know what’s going on. Everything’s going on in front of you and that’s the miscommunication.”

This transcript is from the article at RMNB:
Miscommunication between Ilya Samsonov and Justin Schultz leads to Bruins’ double OT goal, Alex Ovechkin fuming at the bench

Reactions: sooshii

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Random thoughts:

Samsonov was solid, but the gushing by the NBC crew was getting into Pierre-Adam Fox territory. Sure, Schultz shares the blame on the OT gaffe, but after that how could they list Samsonov as third star?

I cringe every time the B's pass the puck through the middle when exiting the zone, especially when there is a safer play up the boards. Coyle got burned tonight (with no help from Pastrnak, if memory serves). I watch a lot of out of town games and can't recall another team that attempts this nearly as much.

Every game I have hopes Pastrnak gets back on track, but it hasn't happened. So many scoring chances that were automatic not too long ago are now shots wide of the net, shots at the goalie's logo, or a broken stick.

Aside from that, the B's are matching the Caps' physicality despite not being as big, and it's frustrating the Caps. I hope the OT proves to be a turning point in the series, with the B's conditioning being a major factor.

Rumors circulated about the Caps' partying and nonchalance in the bubble last year. There are clearly some cliques in that locker room, and as much as I respect Chara, he made this decision. He got leveled by a teammate in warm-up and many Caps barely noticed, he had Ovechkin throw a sweaty towel on him, and he's been party to all sorts of thuggery from Wilson against Boston and the Rangers. It'll be interesting hearing his take on all this years from now when he's retired.

I still gave Samsonov one of my imaginary stars. He wasn't wholly responsible for the gaffe that lost the game, and I thought he did incredibly well for a guy coming off a 3-week break. If not for the quality of some of his work the Caps would have lost it much sooner than they did, so I still felt he was one of the best performers in the game. Rask was equally as good, but he never saw the amount of rubber Samsonov did.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Secord

Mar 23, 2013
Reilly again calm cool and collected getting pucks out. Upgrade on JZ indeed. If he was not concussed and is ok to go, believe Pastrnak was getting closer to paydirt. His unlock game will come. Marchand, Reilly and Hall clutching now. Marchand needs to stop the collar-blade shenanigans, it serves no purpose and gives Washington the only chance they have, the PP. That's it. That and going for the pinball wizard fluke.

Hathaway went low twice, one on McAvoy and one on Marchand. The one on McAvoy went mostly unnoticed because it came just before the Grzelcyk high stick on Ovechkin, but it seemed like an attempted slewfoot/lowbridge finish of a 'check'. Plus the Tuukka mugging. Just letting it happen until he injures someone, which seems to be the goal. Bruins hockey is to stop/prevent that, not cry foul and hope for a suspension. Bruins-era Chara would have grabbed/warned him by now. Not saying I wish he was still a Bruin, I know he's old, slow, etc. (have to watch what you say in these here threads), just saying that, unfortunately, this is mostly going on unchecked. It's just this taking a beating game after game and some here want one of the few up front who is giving back some, Wagner, out for Kuhlman who is just going to contribute to the physicality imbalance in this series. I lost count the number of times Ritchie let up on a hit. Dude, you're the team's bowling ball, knock a few pins down!!! I think I'm starting to be on the side of putting Clifton up front if/when Lauzon comes back. Would even consider doing it with Tinordi instead of Lauzon if he's not ready yet, although the team's winning and would not want to mess with the recipe yada yada. At the same time, fourth liners are all getting crapped on here, so why not have a hard-hitting spare D instead of one of them? If Hathaway goes low/knee-on-knee with Miller, or Wilson high on Carlo, for example - and just taking a wild stab at possibilities our there - you'd then be covered.

And anybody else would like to see more Hall less Coyle and Ritchie on the PP?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad