Confirmed with Link: Edmundson signed at $3 million for 1 year

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I'm not sure why Capfriendly had Dunn off the roster. He's always been on there before, and he's on there now. I just assumed he was there before when I checked. Weird.

Right now Capfriendly has the Blues at ~$275k space with 24 players (not including Schmaltz) on the roster.

Thomas should be there, so add another ~$900k, which puts the Blues at 25 players and ~$625k over the Cap.

Sending down Nolan, Sundqvist, and Thorburn saves the Blues ~$2.25 million, which gives them ~$1.625 million to add Schmaltz (bringing the roster back to 23 players). More than enough for Schmaltz and some spare change.

They could send down Dunn instead until the trade someone, sparing one of the three forwards from being exposed to waivers, but I don't think that's a move they should make. None of those forwards are good enough to worry about losing them for nothing, and I've already shared my thoughts on why Dunn shouldn't be sent back down again.

Alternately, they could send Schmaltz down instead, but that would be pretty stupid, IMO. He'd certainly be claimed, and he might actually be a player worth hanging onto.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Agreed on Dunn. Nickel and diming him, trusting him to understand the bigger picture, is too big a risk when you might have to enter some pretty big negotiations with him later. I’d rather dress 7 dmen for a while, even with stacked forward depth, and see how the injured guys legs are, then send him down just as an “easy way” to deal with a short term problem. Seems like you take a risk of making a minor short term problem a major long term one, and even if the odds of that are slight it isn’t worth it for a critical asset.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
**** Maroon! I'd rather have Edmundson long term for $4M and a spot for a youngster than Eddie on one-year and Maroon as another forward. We will pay for this one year deal eventually.
I don't have any doubt that we will see both Maroon and Edmundson extended in January when the CBA allows. I can only hope that the Maroon extension is announced first so we can see your head explode. :laugh: :sarcasm:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I don't have any doubt that we will see both Maroon and Edmundson extended in January when the CBA allows. I can only hope that the Maroon extension is announced first so we can see your head explode. :laugh: :sarcasm:

I have little doubt its coming either, so while my head will probably explode, it won't be as big of an explosion as if I wasn't expecting it.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I'm choosing to view Maroon as our Fabbri insurance policy so in that context I'm more than ok with it meaning Eds gets a 1 year for right now. We can always avoid another arbitration, which we managed this time.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I'm honestly expecting a move to made with Gunnarsson soon, to free up his $2M before the season begins.

Reactions: Mike Liut

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
**** Maroon! I'd rather have Edmundson long term for $4M and a spot for a youngster than Eddie on one-year and Maroon as another forward. We will pay for this one year deal eventually.
Ehh, I think there is an upper ceiling on what Eddy will eventually sign for long term. Anything more than 4.5m and we could be regretting it for a strictly stay at home defenseman, especially since he will be playing next to Petro or Parayko.

Not to mention there is an expansion draft in two years and Eddy could be the odd defenseman out.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Ehh, I think there is an upper ceiling on what Eddy will eventually sign for long term. Anything more than 4.5m and we could be regretting it for a strictly stay at home defenseman, especially since he will be playing next to Petro or Parayko.

Not to mention there is an expansion draft in two years and Eddy could be the odd defenseman out.

I agree with your basic premise here that ultimately he won't cost a ton. Fortunately though he does have some upside offensively. He wasn't regarded as a pure defensive d by the amateur scouts btw, it was fans looking at his numbers in Junior and making that assumption incorrectly. He was one of the more highly regarded junior players at the time of his draft and obviously the Blues made a smart pick here.

He won't be an odd man out in protection either, teams don't luck into having our top 4. There would have to be a massive push from Walman or Mikkola to even see that as a scenario that we would entertain. There's a good reason for why opposing teams fans seem to always be interested in our defensemen.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I agree with your basic premise here that ultimately he won't cost a ton. Fortunately though he does have some upside offensively. He wasn't regarded as a pure defensive d by the amateur scouts btw, it was fans looking at his numbers in Junior and making that assumption incorrectly. He was one of the more highly regarded junior players at the time of his draft and obviously the Blues made a smart pick here.

He won't be an odd man out in protection either, teams don't luck into having our top 4. There would have to be a massive push from Walman or Mikkola to even see that as a scenario that we would entertain. There's a good reason for why opposing teams fans seem to always be interested in our defensemen.

It might not take Walman or Mikkola to push Edmundson into being unprotected. If the Blues protect 7-3-1, it would come down to Dunn/Edmundson (assuming Petro is signed before the draft). IMO, the Blues would trade something to Seattle to influence them to select another player in order to protect Ed/Dunn.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
It might not take Walman or Mikkola to push Edmundson into being unprotected. If the Blues protect 7-3-1, it would come down to Dunn/Edmundson (assuming Petro is signed before the draft). IMO, the Blues would trade something to Seattle to influence them to select another player in order to protect Ed/Dunn.

That something needs to worth more than Edmunson at least. If last year is anything to go buy, those moved don't tend to work out for the team trying to keep a specific guy.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
That something needs to worth more than Edmunson at least. If last year is anything to go buy, those moved don't tend to work out for the team trying to keep a specific guy.

I mean, some of those moves were just fine, there were just a couple dumb ones that helped Vegas tons (Florida Panthers, what is you doin?). Carolina did a lot of dealing and it worked out just fine for them, The Jets traded down in the draft a few picks and got to keep everyone they wanted as Vegas drafted Thorburn. The Sharks were in a near impossible situation and had to lose someone valuable, but I doubt they regret losing Theadore to keep someone in the Rakell, Vatanan, or Silverberg class.

The only 2 teams that have to regret their moves completely are Columbus (And to be fair to them, who saw Karlsson becoming a 40 goal scorer out of nowhere coming?) and Florida (Who so clearly screwed that up the moment that trade was announced there wasn't any debate on if it was a good call. It was awful.)

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I really hope there is no way the Blues brain trust is stupid enough to expose Edmundson in the next ED. After recent events, however, I am optimistic. Is there not an option to protect 4 defensemen? That is the way I think we should go.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
We could always just work a trade to where they get Perron.

At that point we could be running something like this

O’Reilly-Thomas-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Fabbri-Bozak-Bokk
Foley-Barbashev-Kostin

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Walman-Mikkola
Schmaltz

Husso
Allen

In regards to Edmundson, I’m not worried about this deal. Gives us space this year, and Army will lock him up after this season when we have plenty of cap off the books.

Reactions: shmotz

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I really hope there is no way the Blues brain trust is stupid enough to expose Edmundson in the next ED. After recent events, however, I am optimistic. Is there not an option to protect 4 defensemen? That is the way I think we should go.

There is, but we can only protect 4 forwards that way (which would likely be Schenn, Schwartz, Tarasenko, and O'Reilly), which leaves all of Perron, Bozak, Steen, Kostin (I think?) and Fabbri being available. Luckily, Thomas nor Kyrou would be.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
There is, but we can only protect 4 forwards that way (which would likely be Schenn, Schwartz, Tarasenko, and O'Reilly), which leaves all of Perron, Bozak, Steen, Kostin (I think?) and Fabbri being available. Luckily, Thomas nor Kyrou would be.
That is interesting, as, on that list, Fabbri is the only one I would protect over Edmundson, and even that depends on Fabbri's recovery.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
That is interesting, as, on that list, Fabbri is the only one I would protect over Edmundson, and even that depends on Fabbri's recovery.

See, keep in mind, the alternative is a 6-3-1 protective scheme, which would mean we could protect 2 of those forwards instead of 1 defensemen. So we could keep, say, Fabbri and an emerging Kostin over Edmunson.

That said, if push REALLY came to shove, our best bet would probably be to throw a pick and a good but not amazing prospect to Seattle to get them to take an expiring contract or a decent younger guy like a Barbashev instead of any of these options.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
See, keep in mind, the alternative is a 6-3-1 protective scheme, which would mean we could protect 2 of those forwards instead of 1 defensemen. So we could keep, say, Fabbri and an emerging Kostin over Edmunson.

That said, if push REALLY came to shove, our best bet would probably be to throw a pick and a good but not amazing prospect to Seattle to get them to take an expiring contract or a decent younger guy like a Barbashev instead of any of these options.
Agreed. It is also 2 years away, a lot can happen in that time.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I can't believe we have to read about this stuff for another 2 years before the expansion draft actually happens. Brutal.

It's just really not possible to predict what is going to happen right now. I get that this is a discussion board but good lord.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

The options were 7-3-1 or 8 skaters and a goalie in the expansion protection options with the Vegas expansion.

So, I believe that the only way we're losing a forward of consequence if Army takes the 7-3-1 route, is a trade offer to not select Edmundson if he's left exposed.

Otherwise I agree either Kostin or Fabbri will be selected should we protect the 8 skaters.

7-3-1 protection list of forwards
Tarasenko
Schwartz
Schenn
Bozak - Modified NTC 10 team no trade
Perron - Modified NTC 5 team no trade
Steen - NTC

Fabbri/Kostin as #7

I'm not sure how the modified NTCs work, if they must be protected or agree to waive it for the expansion.

The other potential wrinkle is Maroon was given a modified NTC on his 1 year deal, if rumours of the 4 year extension are true is he given a NTC to factor in also?

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Kostin won't need to be protected in the Expansion Draft. Due to being under 20 in the AHL his pro year slides due to playing no games in the NHL. If I remember correctly.

Therefore it's gonna be down to Eddie vs Fabbri and Steen/Perron/Bozak.

And that's not including the Blues making a handshake agreement with either Pietro and/or Schenn to leave them unprotected and resign them after the expansion draft which would allow the Blues to Protect Parayko, Dunn, Eddy as well as Schwartz, Tarasenko, O'Reilly, Fabbri, Steen, Bozak and then as another forward.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
The options were 7-3-1 or 8 skaters and a goalie in the expansion protection options with the Vegas expansion.

So, I believe that the only way we're losing a forward of consequence if Army takes the 7-3-1 route, is a trade offer to not select Edmundson if he's left exposed.

Otherwise I agree either Kostin or Fabbri will be selected should we protect the 8 skaters.

Tarasenko
Schwartz
Schenn
Steen - NTC

Fabbri/Kostin as #7

I'm not sure how the modified NTCs work, if they must be protected or agree to waive it for the expansion.

The other potential wrinkle is Maroon was given a modified NTC on his 1 year deal, if rumours of the 4 year extension are true is he given a NTC to factor in also?
I did not know Bozak and Perron had modified NTC's. I wasn't overjoyed with either signing, particularly Perron's. (Jury is out for me on Bozak, I need to see him play.) Now I am even less impressed.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Tarasenko
Schwartz
Schenn
Steen - NTC

Fabbri/Kostin as #7

NTC's don't need to be protected. NMC's need to be protected, and we don't currently have anyone with an NMC.

Kostin will be exempt for the expansion draft, last season doesn't count as a pro season because he was under 20.

If we're looking ahead to the expansion draft then the only question that matters is whether our #4 defenseman is more valuable than our #5 forward. If that is the case then we protect 8 skaters.

Tarasenko, O'Reilly, Schwartz & Schenn are currently the only guys that we know will be worth protecting.

The remaining exposed players would be Fabbri, Steen, Bozak, Perron, Maroon(?), Jaškin(?), Soshnikov(?), Barbashev(?), Sundqvist(?), Sanford(?), Blais(?) & Stevens(?). The only player that we are likely to be concerned about losing there is Fabbri.

If that is our sitation? It is extremely easy to manage. Our situation is completely different to the teams that got themselves into trouble in the last expansion draft. Vegas had all the leverage against Anaheim and Minnesota last year, Seattle would have very little over the Blues. Getting them to leave Fabbri in that scenario shouldn't cost much.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
@Alklha

Thank you m8 for clarification.

Who are defenseman which we need to protect? Pietro, Parayko, Edmundson are easy

Does these guys need protection? Dunn, Mikkola, Walman, Schmaltz`?

What about Husso if he plays this year at NHL level too?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad