Confirmed with Link: Edmundson signed at $3 million for 1 year

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I’m happy. Woulda preferred longer term but obviously we are out of space so I don’t see many other options. I expect he gets long term next year 4-4.5
This will sort itself out with an extension mid-season once JBo and Gunnarson are cleared off the books.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Puts us in a bad crunch having to re-sign Schmaltz still, but we expected that. Assuming Gunnar or Bouw is dealt before the year, and yeah, we are set.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Puts us in a bad crunch having to re-sign Schmaltz still, but we expected that. Assuming Gunnar or Bouw is dealt before the year, and yeah, we are set.

I don't think Bouwmeester will be the one moved. Gunnarsson is about the only one on this roster that could be moved.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Blues have ~$1.45 million in space to sign Schmaltz assuming Thomas is on the roster and two forwards are sent down to make room (Nolan, Sundqvist) for Thomas and Schmaltz.

Plenty of room for what should be a deal around $1 million, give or take $100k, assuming both parties want a 1 year deal. Schmaltz isn't getting an AAV much higher than that even if he wants 2 years, and I can't see the Blues wanting to give him 3 years (he expires as a UFA) or more (he simply hasn't earned that sort of commitment).

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
I suddenly realize I'm not confident in my CAP knowledge. Can someone help me out by confirming/correcting my below thoughts:

1. Only NHL roster players count against the CAP. So if Nolan gets dropped from the NHL roster to the AHL, for example, there is another $650k in CAP space (working from Capfriendly.com), but we'll certainly be adding Dunn to the NHL roster at $722 so we might have roughly $900k in CAP with Schmaltz still unsigned. (again, working off of Capfriendly).

2. Hypothetical - If Bozak gets hurt midseason, and we call up an AHL player to the NHL, that contract would then count against the CAP along with Bozak's $5mil hit. What if we put Bozak on IR - does this create more CAP room to call up players, or would his $5mil contract still count against the CAP? Difference for Long-term IR?

3. If it always counts, we would lack CAP flexibility for a likely scenario needing to cover a stretch of the season with multiple injury replacement call-ups. So we need at least . . . $2.5mil in CAP space to comfortably call players up during the season? Is that correct? Which would be why we really need to move Gunn's contract before the season starts?

Thanks for the education!

Reactions: shmotz

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I can't wait for him to get a long-term deal next summer. Edmundson has become one of my favorite players. I never expected him to be a core piece but he has turned into exactly that, and seems to be very well liked in the room.

Not a bad deal for him either. I think he has some untapped offensive potential. I think he can easily put up 20-25 points and get a solid payday in a year.

Reactions: Itsnotatrap

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If Gunnarsson or Bouwmeester can't be moved, I wonder if one would be bought out?
They will walk, this is their last season in Blues. We have Walman and Mikkola who are pushing in the LHD side. Schmatlz is fighting on right side vs. Bortuzzo. Bortuzzo too has contract which will end next off-season.

So we could see totally different d-core in future.

D-core at 2019-2020
Code:
Edmundson - Pietro
Dunn - Parayko
Walman/Mikkola - Schmaltz

D-core at 2018-2019
Code:
Edmundson - Pietro
Dunn - Parayko
Gunnar/Jbo - Bortuzzo/Schmaltz

Walman/Mikkola

Last edited:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I suddenly realize I'm not confident in my CAP knowledge. Can someone help me out by confirming/correcting my below thoughts:

1. Only NHL roster players count against the CAP. So if Nolan gets dropped from the NHL roster to the AHL, for example, there is another $650k in CAP space (working from Capfriendly.com), but we'll certainly be adding Dunn to the NHL roster at $722 so we might have roughly $900k in CAP with Schmaltz still unsigned. (again, working off of Capfriendly).

2. Hypothetical - If Bozak gets hurt midseason, and we call up an AHL player to the NHL, that contract would then count against the CAP along with Bozak's $5mil hit. What if we put Bozak on IR - does this create more CAP room to call up players, or would his $5mil contract still count against the CAP? Difference for Long-term IR?

3. If it always counts, we would lack CAP flexibility for a likely scenario needing to cover a stretch of the season with multiple injury replacement call-ups. So we need at least . . . $2.5mil in CAP space to comfortably call players up during the season? Is that correct? Which would be why we really need to move Gunn's contract before the season starts?

1. Nolan, etc wouldn’t count against the Cap if they’re in the minors.

Weird capfriendly doesn’t have Dunn on the roster but either way, folks need to figure a roster of 23. That’s usually 14F, 7D and 2G...but maybe the Blues keep 8 D with Schmaltz and go 13F, 8D, 2G.

2. That allowance to exceed the Cap only comes when a player is on LTIR, not regular IR so yes, the Blues will want to leave themselves enough room so they can call up AHL guys with the inevitable injuries occur.

3. But we wouldn’t need $2.5M in space for those call ups. The call-ups only count against the Cap for the time they’re on the NHL roster. So it’s not like you'd need enough cap space to fit in their entire yearly AAV.

It’d certainly give them some flexibility and allow them to add a small piece at the trade deadline if they traded Gunnar but they don’t HAVE to, at least certainly not before the season starts. My guess is they start with what they have (I’d assume Schmaltz is eventually signed for around to a little under $1M) and go from there.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
1. Nolan, etc wouldn’t count against the Cap if they’re in the minors.

Weird capfriendly doesn’t have Dunn on the roster but either way, folks need to figure a roster of 23. That’s usually 14F, 7D and 2G...but maybe the Blues keep 8 D with Schmaltz and go 13F, 8D, 2G.

2. That allowance to exceed the Cap only comes when a player is on LTIR, not regular IR so yes, the Blues will want to leave themselves enough room so they can call up AHL guys with the inevitable injuries occur.

3. But we wouldn’t need $2.5M in space for those call ups. The call-ups only count against the Cap for the time they’re on the NHL roster. So it’s not like you'd need enough cap space to fit in their entire yearly AAV.

It’d certainly give them some flexibility and allow them to add a small piece at the trade deadline if they traded Gunnar but they don’t HAVE to, at least certainly not before the season starts. My guess is they start with what they have (I’d assume Schmaltz is eventually signed for around to a little under $1M) and go from there.

Glorious clarity! Thank you

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
That's a big favor from Eddy. He knows his payday is right around the corner, likely in January when Army clears one of his multi-million-dollar veteran backups.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Expect we’ll have to compensate a little higher on the long term deal though.

Yeah, but the risk is still on the player in these situations, he he has a really bad year it will cost him some money too. But I do agree we will pay him more avg next year since we will most likely be buying more UFA years than restricted.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Expect we’ll have to compensate a little higher on the long term deal though.
Depending on how his first half goes, I would expect something in the neighborhood of 4 years and $17M-$18M and 5 years $21M-$22.5M. His AAV shouldn't get much higher than $4.5M unless he suddenly becomes a 40 points per 82 guy in the first 3 months of the year, and even then his history would suggest that such a level would not be sustainable.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
f*** Maroon! I'd rather have Edmundson long term for $4M and a spot for a youngster than Eddie on one-year and Maroon as another forward. We will pay for this one year deal eventually.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Understanding of the Cap is difficult because there is a 100 page legal document that outlines all the rules about it. StL Fan in Ia was right on with his answers, but here is a little more detail.

1) Buried Contracts - Every contract counts against the cap. If you bury a contract outside the NHL, you get relief against the cap. The relief is the amount of the contract up to a maximum of the league minimum salary + $375k, or $1.025M for this season. So if we bury Nolan, @ less than $1.025M, we get full cap relief. But if we send down Gunnarsson, we only get $1.025M in relief, and $1.875M still counts against the cap. That's so you cannot just waive albatross cotrancts.

2) LTIR - Long term injured reserve gives a team an allowance to exceed the cap, but does not give cap relief. So in your hypothetical where bozak is hurt, we are eligible for up to $5M LTIR relief. However, we only get cap relief in the amount we exceed the cap. So let's say we have $500k in cap space and put Bozak on LTIR. We call up a $1M player, putting us $500k over, at $80M. We'd only get $500k relief to put us at the cap of $79.5M. So what does that matter, as long as you get back to cap compliant you ask? Well that brings us to #3...

3) Banking cap - Cap space can accumulate. Salary is accrued on a daily basis. Every player has a daily salary that is their yearly salary divided by how ever many days the season is (around 180). This means your daily cap is 79.5/180 or roughly 440K a day. If you spend $430k a day for 100 days, you have banked a million dollars in cap space. That cap however will be spread over only the 80 days remaining. So you could technical use that million in cap space to add a $2.25M contract, because you only pay for 80 days of that contract. Why I am discussing this, si you do not need $2.5M in excess cap for injuries. You are building cap when you are healthy if you are under the cap, which everyone is a little bit. Since regular IR is so short, you shouldn't need to exceed the cap due to injuries for long time. So if you want an extra $2M in salary for injuries call-ups and let's say those will be over 45 of the 180 days total (which is a lot). You would only need to bank $2M *.25, or $500k. You could bank 500k by being under the cap over the remaining 115 days in the amount of $667k.

Ok, so that got much more convoluted than I anticipated on the last one. If it confuses you, just ignore it and go with STL Fans answers lol

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Uh, we still have Eddie as an RFA next year and this deal was settled out of arbitration. This reaction feels a tad extreme.

What if he files for arbitration next year, which he'll still be able to? What if he has a career year this year, how much will his contract be next year? Even if we don't lose him, it could very well cost us several million dollars in a bigger deal to keep him. Armstrong as much as admitted they want a long term deal but we didn't have the cap space (follow-up tweet from JR). Why didn't we have the cap space? We signed an unnecessary forward. I already thought the Maroon signing was a mistake, but was ok with it if it didn't affect anything, and I mean anything. Now its affected something and I hate it.

Extreme or not, that is my reaction. Edmundson should be 100 times more important to the success of this team going forward than Maroon. Maroon is here for 1 year, a year in which we won't do anything with our crappy goalie situation (imo). Next year we either sign him to a bad contract or let him go. But we risk potentially having to over-pay Edmundson or even lose him for one year of "value" 3rd line forward. As brilliant of an off-season as Armstrong had, its that type of over-reliance on pysical/gritty vets and short-term thinking with good young players that has bitten us in the ass in the past. For example, we potentially offered Shattenkirk less term to get his AAV down to a point where we could sign Morrow. We all know how that turned out.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
What if he files for arbitration next year, which he'll still be able to? What if he has a career year this year, how much will his contract be next year? Even if we don't lose him, it could very well cost us several million dollars in a bigger deal to keep him. Armstrong as much as admitted they want a long term deal but we didn't have the cap space (follow-up tweet from JR). Why didn't we have the cap space? We signed an unnecessary forward. I already thought the Maroon signing was a mistake, but was ok with it if it didn't affect anything, and I mean anything. Now its affected something and I hate it.

Extreme or not, that is my reaction. Edmundson should be 100 times more important to the success of this team going forward than Maroon. Maroon is here for 1 year, a year in which we won't do anything with our crappy goalie situation (imo). Next year we either sign him to a bad contract or let him go. But we risk potentially having to over-pay Edmundson or even lose him for one year of "value" 3rd line forward. As brilliant of an off-season as Armstrong had, its that type of over-reliance on pysical/gritty vets and short-term thinking with good young players that has bitten us in the ass in the past. For example, we potentially offered Shattenkirk less term to get his AAV down to a point where we could sign Morrow. We all know how that turned out.
I don't think the Shattenkirk situation is really relevant to anything else. Seems pretty obvious he's always wanted to play for NYR. He was gonna get a chance to do that one way or the other, Brenden Morrow had nothing to do with what his goal was. I understand the semantics of it, but unless there's proof that we could have signed Shattenkirk to a real long-term deal, which I kinda doubt was a possibility, it's not worth getting worked up over.

And neither is this situation. It's all what ifs. What if Edmundson has a career year? I have no idea. Let's see how him (and Maroon) perform and see what happens. There's really no real reason to worry about any of this.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
That's a big favor from Eddy. He knows his payday is right around the corner, likely in January when Army clears one of his multi-million-dollar veteran backups.

Both Bouwmeester and Gunnarson are UFAs after the 18-19 season, once January hits, Army can extend Edmundson without any regard to their effect on the cap.

The concern will be the RFAs/UFAs we're looking to keep, especially if the rumours of Maroon being extended 4 years are true...

RFAs
Edmundson
Schmaltz (Assuming he signs a 1 year)
Sundqvist
Barbashev
Soshnikov
Fabbri
Jaskin
Dunn (2020 RFA but they'd better be planning out his contract before they start extending or signing others)

UFA
Maroon
Thorburn
Nolan
Bortuzzo

Of these I hope to see them re-sign the following next summer... Fabbri and Bortz being the only ones that may have a significant cap hit (2m+)
Bortuzzo (grit and 7th dman)
Barbashev
Jaskin
Fabbri
Sundqvist/Soshnikov (one of the two)
Maroon (depending on his fit here and how he meshes with the team, on a reasonable contract)
Schmaltz? (he needs ice time, and I'm not sure he gets it here).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad