Post-Game Talk: Edmundson scars and scores! Habs avenge Armia 5-2!

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Man, we eliminated Crosby on his birthday, got a stud in Kaiden Guhle, had the best offseason and now have the deepest team in the NHL, currently lead the NHL in points and goals, and people are still whining about a minuscule chance that we could have had to draft Lafrenière (which our spot before the bubble ended up not winning in the lottery, by the way)

And then we wonder why no players want to sign here. Cheer up ffs. Did you guys have a rough Monday at work or something?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He was a right-handed d that was better than fleury playing rd who routinely got walked. Him being a right handed shot didn’t help prevent this from happening.

You don't give Fleury much credit at all do you. I don't think he was anywhere near as bad as you make him out to be. As for him getting walked NO I don't remember that happening to the extent you seem to think it did. Getting caught out of position sure but c'mon man the kid played 41 games and was a -4 which is not bad for a young D. Not to mention you fail to understand that a left D on the right side is very susceptible to the inside move which can leave them checking air. (getting walked) It happened to both Kulak and Romanov recently. Mete and Jordie Benn in the past frickin Tom Gilbert and don't forget Tomas Kaberle way back when. Can a LD play the right side effectively? Perhaps if they've done it growing up. But it's an awkward proposition for most lefties and not a great developmental strategy IMO.

Reactions: DAChampion

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Man, we eliminated Crosby on his birthday, got a stud in Kaiden Guhle, had the best offseason and now have the deepest team in the NHL, currently lead the NHL in points and goals, and people are still whining about a minuscule chance that we could have had to draft Lafrenière (which our pick ended up not being after the lottery, by the way)

And then we wonder why no players want to sign here. Cheer up ffs. Did you guys have a rough Monday at work or something?
Do you honestly believe UFA’s don’t sign here because fans were whining about not tanking for Laf? I think players don’t like the scrutiny, sure.

Some probably are nervous about not knowing French, not wanting higher taxes, but I think the biggest reason players don’t want to sign here is because we haven’t exactly shown a winning product. Win baby and they will come.

No one wants to be hounded everyday by the media on a losing team. I think if we can show we’re competitive players will come in droves, but we have sucked for nearly a decade.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Man, we eliminated Crosby on his birthday, got a stud in Kaiden Guhle, had the best offseason and now have the deepest team in the NHL, currently lead the NHL in points and goals, and people are still whining about a minuscule chance that we could have had to draft Lafrenière (which our spot before the bubble ended up not winning in the lottery, by the way)

LOL The players have next to no interest in what gets said here unless the media happen to throw it in their faces. I wish we had that power. :sarcasm:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
You don't give Fleury much credit at all do you. I don't think he was anywhere near as bad as you make him out to be. As for him getting walked NO I don't remember that happening to the extent you seem to think it did. Getting caught out of position sure but c'mon man the kid played 41 games and was a -4 which is not bad for a young D. Not to mention you fail to understand that a left D on the right side is very susceptible to the inside move which can leave them checking air. (getting walked) It happened to both Kulak and Romanov recently. Mete and Jordie Benn in the past frickin Tom Gilbert and don't forget Tomas Kaberle way back when. Can a LD play the right side effectively? Perhaps if they've done it growing up. But it's an awkward proposition for most lefties and not a great developmental strategy IMO.
No I don’t think highly of Fleury and I think you are exaggerating a problem that doesn’t really exist.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Do you honestly believe UFA’s don’t sign here because fans were whining about not tanking for Laf? I think players don’t like the scrutiny, sure.

Some probably are nervous about not knowing French, not wanting higher taxes, but I think the biggest reason players don’t want to sign here is because we haven’t exactly shown a winning product. Win baby and they will come.

No one wants to be hounded everyday by the media on a losing team. I think if we can show we’re competitive players will come in droves, but we have sucked for nearly a decade.
Because the fanbase is negative af and nitpicks the tiniest of things no matter how successful the team is

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal

I like your avy bro

Reactions: Stive Morgan

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

so, what you're saying is last regular season was a great success...

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
so, what you're saying is last regular season was a great success...
We've had nothing but success since the NHL restart. Battled our way into the playoffs with the emergence of Suzuki and KK, got Kaiden Guhle who made Team Canada as an 18-year-old defenceman, and steamrolling our way through our division this year.

I don't know where all the negativity is coming from. I've never been more excited to be a Habs fan as I am now.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
We've had nothing but success since the NHL restart. Battled our way into the playoffs with the emergence of Suzuki and KK, got Kaiden Guhle who made Team Canada as an 18-year-old defenceman, and steamrolling our way through our division this year.

I don't know where all the negativity is coming from. I've never been more excited to be a Habs fan as I am now.

Negativity is definitely irrational at this point, but I think that this forum is mostly positive, don't you?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Most of them are probably Packer fans.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal

f***in rights

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Because the fanbase is negative af and nitpicks the tiniest of things no matter how successful the team is
I think this can be described as passionate. Whether that’s a negative or not, who knows? I know if I was a star player there would be nothing more rewarding than bringing a cup back to Montreal/Toronto. This is where I would want to be.

I think the Leafs went through similar struggles, UFA’s weren’t attracted to a bottom feeder, but once they started to turn the corner they became a lot more attractive. I realize not everyone will want to play for Montreal or Toronto because of the pressure and scrutiny, but I believe many players thrive in that kind of environment and would welcome the opportunity to play for cup a contending habs team.

Having said that, the best path to take is to have a steady influx of youth in the pipeline knocking at the door. We’re getting close to that now. You can’t build a winner out of UFA’s, but you can augment your youth. One of the more annoying things for me was MB constantly offloading 5th round picks etc to get these veterans that were easily replaced by a better, hungrier prospect within our own system. We never needed the Otts, Kings, Martinsen types and we certainly shouldn’t have given away assets for them. They simply blocked, younger, likely more effective players. I think we will have that steady influx of youth that we have been missing during the early MB days, especially on D. No more Schlemko’s, Alzner, or Douglas Murray’s required. The future is bright imo in habs land. He’s got the base built up to the point where the team is competitive and the pool is solid. Similar to where Gainey had us many years ago.

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

No one here is saying were not having a good start, nous one is saying Anderson and Toffoli were bad pickups you know...

The habs finishing 24, the nhl changing rules to allow habs to participate in the playoff is not an opinion, they are facts...

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I don't know which posts you are talking about but the future doesn't erase the past. As much as i like the team composition and think MB did a great job last summer i wont run around and say i don't have my doubts. The team is playing well but anyone expecting nothing to go wrong and that we will have an easy path to the sc after being one of the worst team for the last 3 years is living in la la land. There will be ups and downs and MB will have to fill holes and fix things. Winning a cup is a process it doesn't happen overnight (see Vegas). MB could not do it the last time. He had a great core but could not address the holes. He could have done better with the core he inherited imo. Will he be able to do it this time? We will see.

MB has been lucky. Technically speaking his team was supposed to miss the playoffs and finish close to the bottom 5 of the league again. He was supposed to have a hard time signing all his ufas and he had a lot of them to sign (still have 3 to sign). He was heading right where he was when he lost Markov and Radulov for nothing. Then covid happened. His team made the playoffs and had a great run. The economical situation made it easier to sign more team friendly deals with our ufas (playoffs run helped too probably). The fixed cap prevented a lot of good teams to be active on the ufas market which means we competed with crappy teams and marketa for the middle of the pack ufas. I applaud MB for seizing the day. It's one thing to be lucky it's another thing to take advantage of it. But it doesn't change the fact that things were not looking good at all a year ago.

If someone is negative about the present then yeah it's silly. If someone express some doubts because of the past then no it's not silly at all. Players don't want to sign here because the team sucked for the most part the last 30 years and the taxes rate. Nothing to do with the fans. Do you really think players put the fans before the money and opportunity to win a cup? First reason to sign with a team is money (after taxes). It by far outweigh any other reasons. 2nd reason is opportunity to win and play for a good team and with good players. Then 3rd probably the city/state/province/country. Fans and journalists really don't matter as much as people think. Very very very few players will be like they offer me 500 000 more (after taxes), have a great team, i like the city but i wont sigh there because of the fans and journalists.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't know which posts you are talking about but the future doesn't erase the past. As much as i like the team composition and think MB did a great job last summer i wont run around and say i don't have my doubts. The team is playing well but anyone expecting nothing to go wrong and that we will have an easy path to the sc after being one of the worst team for the last 3 years is living in la la land. There will be ups and downs and MB will have to fill holes and fix things. Winning a cup is a process it doesn't happen overnight (see Vegas). MB could not do it the last time. He had a great core but could not address the holes. He could have done better with the core he inherited imo. Will he be able to do it this time? We will see.

MB has been lucky. Technically speaking his team was supposed to miss the playoffs and finish close to the bottom 5 of the league again. He was supposed to have a hard time signing all his ufas and he had a lot of them to sign (still have 3 to sign). He was heading right where he was when he lost Markov and Radulov for nothing. Then covid happened. His team made the playoffs and had a great run. The economical situation made it easier to sign more team friendly deals with our ufas (playoffs run helped too probably). The fixed cap prevented a lot of good teams to be active on the ufas market which means we competed with crappy teams and marketa for the middle of the pack ufas. I applaud MB for seizing the day. It's one thing to be lucky it's another thing to take advantage of it. But it doesn't change the fact that things were not looking good at all a year ago.

If someone is negative about the present then yeah it's silly. If someone express some doubts because of the past then no it's not silly at all. Players don't want to sign here because the team sucked for the most part the last 30 years and the taxes rate. Nothing to do with the fans. Do you really think players put the fans before the money and opportunity to win a cup? First reason to sign with a team is money (after taxes). It by far outweigh any other reasons. 2nd reason is opportunity to win and play for a good team and with good players. Then 3rd probably the city/state/province/country. Fans and journalists really don't matter as much as people think. Very very very few players will be like they offer me 500 000 more (after taxes), have a great team, i like the city but i wont sigh there because of the fans and journalists.

Its tough to generalize what each player values most in their best fit market.

I mean, you mention that after tax income is the biggest factor in a player's decision along with team success. I lump the tax rate into the cost of living category.

If we look at the one market which consistently is the most desirable to play in, no matter if they are doing good or bad, its Manhattan. We can say alot of things about Manhattan, and I understand that most players likely don't live there, but cost of living is also very high over there, and it's still a highly desirable place to be.

I think what makes Manhattan so attractive is that it offers the glitz and glamour in terms of endorsements and other special perks in a city with alot of things to do, yet, you have the anonymity to just blend into your surroundings. It's the best of both worlds in that sense.

Therefore, I think the privacy, and anonymity factor is also a huge element at play if we are to generalize, and that is a huge strikes against Montreal.

However, each player has their own unique circumstances, and maybe every once in a blue moon, a marquee free agent's criteria might match with this city, and the only thing that the habs can control to make it more desirable is to build a perennial contender. Even that is sort of not in the habs control because even the most well run organizations all have to have their demise at some point, but it's the best the habs can do to make the market more desirable.

Now, I don't think this will make players come here in droves, but it can only help.

Last edited:

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
Toronto beat the Habs..and Mtl is still a project team for now. Let's see where things are at game 30. Right now things look good for Habs, but we just played 3 teams.
Toronto beat Montreal playing 3 on 3 in OT
Montreal carried most of the play 5 on 5, which is what they would be playing in OT during the playoffs. Not the gimmick 3 on 3 where our coach continuously plays for the tie instead of sending his skill for the W

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
How was he a factor... really good game... 22 shots on goal all in all... pretty sure we win that game with Allen in net also...

Ive interacted with A LOT of Price haters over the years on social media or out and about, but I dont think Ive ever had the honour of meeting one as confused as you.

To believe either one of those 2 goals was a softie, show how little you know about the goaltending position.

you also said in another tweet 9 out of 10 times a goalie will stop a tipped shot FROM THE SLOT ... I dont even know what to say to you honestly lol Puck coming in chest high gets tipped down, it is NOT getting stopped 9 out of 10 times, I can guarantee you that.
I wont even get into the one he didnt see.

Does Price give up some softies, ya, he lost his shutout in Edmonton with one, but to say those 2 in Vancouver 3rd game were soft, is borderline crazy

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Toronto beat Montreal playing 3 on 3 in OT
Montreal carried most of the play 5 on 5, which is what they would be playing in OT during the playoffs. Not the gimmick 3 on 3 where our coach continuously plays for the tie instead of sending his skill for the W

Meh..they beat us. Fair and square. It means nothing really, first game of the season, who knows where teams will be come PO time. My point was simply to say it's not exactly surprising for people to pick TO over Habs. They were favored as the top team for the Canadian division and rightfully so.
Habs are a project team still, it's all good when everyone seems to be pulling in the same direction but we have to see if they can sustain this pace. If they do, then I expect a lot of people who'd pick TO to win in the POs vs the Habs to change their tune.

Reactions: Suzuki x 14

durojean

May 29, 2007
Ive interacted with A LOT of Price haters over the years on social media or out and about, but I dont think Ive ever had the honour of meeting one as confused as you.

To believe either one of those 2 goals was a softie, show how little you know about the goaltending position.

you also said in another tweet 9 out of 10 times a goalie will stop a tipped shot FROM THE SLOT ... I dont even know what to say to you honestly lol Puck coming in chest high gets tipped down, it is NOT getting stopped 9 out of 10 times, I can guarantee you that.
I wont even get into the one he didnt see.

Does Price give up some softies, ya, he lost his shutout in Edmonton with one, but to say those 2 in Vancouver 3rd game were soft, is borderline crazy

First : why attack me ? Why say I'm confused ? Explain me your point of view I can understand it but please don't go personal.

Second :
Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they are not softies. It still does not explain why that particular goaltender does not make any difference on the final results of the game ?

Last year we were the team that lost the most lead in the league and not even close. My opinion is that that's exactly where a superstar goalie should make a difference. He should be the player that changes the results of those games and he NEVER could. I feel like he is only winning when the team in front of him is playing good. But he never wins when the team is just ok. If that's the case... what's the difference between him and any 4 millions goalie in the league ?

Maybe that is what irks me and that is why I'm difficult toward him. Not only that but it's been 4 years that every year we try to find reasons why he loses the game. It never seems to be because of him. There always seems to be good reasons to explain the team losses. No one is asking why he is not making any difference whatsoever in the results. If the team is good, they win, If the team is ok, it's a toss up (we should win most of those game because of our goalie and it is not the case), if the team is bad, we never win.

If we look at this year only.
Looked bad against Toronto or at least did not make any difference in that result positively has the Habs played really well.
Looked good in a blowout against Edmonton in a game where the team also played really well in front of him
Looked really bad in the 1st game against Vancouver in the first game. We could argue that the point we lost in that game was because of him
Won another blowout by his team where his team dominated the whole game. He did lose a 2 goal lead before his team proceeded to score goals in bunches and I think they did not even allow another shot on goal after the Canucks tied that game.

I just want him to make a difference in the results of the games. Currently and in the last 3 year. I feel like he never did. That is why I am hard on him

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I've tried to watch every North division games, and so far, the Habs gave me the best impression. Can't wait to play the Flames, and a rematch against the Leafs should be coming soon. "Si la tendance se maintiens", we should finish in the top 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad