Post-Game Talk: Edmonton wins 5-2/Farewell to Number 94

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I've seen lots of retirement ceremonies, but this one had to be the most unsettling. Did anyone else get the impression that we were watching a guy who wasn't truly ready to leave?
I don't think he really wanted to retire either. He'd probably play until he was 80 if the Oilers would let him. They wouldn't and he didn't want to go anywhere else. That means it was the end and it was definitely the right time. It was a fun game and very enjoyable to watch. As has been mentioned several times already in this thread, we haven't had as many chances to send one of our heroes off as properly as we would have liked to. We usually have to do it where they get an ovation during a ceremony at the beginning of a game and then we boo them through out the game because they play for the opposition. Just a great night.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I don't think he really wanted to retire either. He'd probably play until he was 80 if the Oilers would let him. They wouldn't and he didn't want to go anywhere else. That means it was the end and it was definitely the right time. It was a fun game and very enjoyable to watch. As has been mentioned several times already in this thread, we haven't had as many chances to send one of our heroes off as properly as we would have liked to. We usually have to do it where they get an ovation during a ceremony at the beginning of a game and then we boo them through out the game because they play for the opposition. Just a great night.

Smyth will probably be back mid-next year as a consultant I think. Or adviser of some sort...kind of like how Weight started with NYI

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
As for the actual game, I wasn't able to watch all of it being at a bar and what not. But from whenever I watched Klefbom, he looked outstanding. Either rushing the puck up ice, or making crisp breakout passes, just great. I remember one play the puck got dumped into his corner and he did a little fake with a canuck hot on his heels causing the canuck to blow a tire, Klefbom curled and hit a forward up ice in stride. Great mobility for a big player. He also showed some offensive upside rushing the pick. I expect big things from him

Marincin, oh boy. Maybe I watched only his bad shifts, but had like 5 giveaways.

Scrivens- great game

Can't ready comment on the forwards, but thought RNH and Hall had good games from what I saw

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
One thing I will say about last night game is that our puck possession game seems to be coming around. More then a few times last night I seen guys turn back and make smart play with the puck rather then just trying to dump it down the ice resulting in a neutral zone turnover. Still can't believe I'll never see Ryan Smyth in another game, feels surreal.

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
I managed to luck out and get tickets to this game (pre Smyth's retirement announcement). It was the best Oiler game I've seen live in a while. I was honoured to be able to see the "Gretzky" of my era of Oilers teams play his last game.

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria

He mentioned several times that his family was more important to him at this point. So he obviously wanted to still play but make no mistake that was a huge factor as well

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
One thing I noticed at the end of the game is that Belov took off his glove and touched the ice. Makes me think he won't be back.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
He mentioned several times that his family was more important to him at this point. So he obviously wanted to still play but make no mistake that was a huge factor as well

Spector wrote an article that said MacT let Smyth know he wouldn't be re-signing him so I think it has more to do with that than his family taking precedence. He's an Oiler through and through and Edmonton obviously means a lot to him and his family. It was a case of "my family is here in Edmonton, where I want to be. Move again and it's a cluster F and since I'm not getting better, I might as well hang them up".

One thing I noticed at the end of the game is that Belov took off his glove and touched the ice. Makes me think he won't be back.

Indifferent if he is/isn't back. Belov had his moments -good and bad. Eakins and Smith didn't know what the F to do defensively so I don't know what to really make of it.

Belov over Fraser though:laugh:

Last edited:

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
It was a heart wrenching farewell, The Canucks coming back was classy.

McTavish sitting up in his box, and not coming down to the bench,to acknowledge Ryan's accomplishments, and dedication to his team, was the only bad part of this memorable night....

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
It was a heart wrenching farewell, The Canucks coming back was classy.

McTavish sitting up in his box, and not coming down to the bench,to acknowledge Ryan's accomplishments, and dedication to his team, was the only bad part of this memorable night....

Sitting next to him during his retirement announcement wasn't enough I guess..:dunno:

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Am I the only one who thinks that they should leave "Thank you Smytty" up instead of retiring? Lik dis if u agreeee :>>

Seriously though, I think that would be:
1. Original to the type of player Smyth was, and how we would show our appreciation
2. A way of honoring him without going against our rule of Hall of Famers in the rafters (outside of Al Hamilton).

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Put a glass-encased tribute to him in the new building along a wall or in the middle of the concourse. Put the disgusting flat blade in there, a pic of him with 06 playoff beard, 94 jersey, and a goal crease re-creation at the bottom. Make a more visual tribute to him as opposed to a silly banner.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Kind of crazy to think the win in tribute to Smytty moved the Oilers to 3rd in the draft lottery, and the Panthers won the first overall pick in the spot the Oilers vacated. You will still get a great player at 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad