Post-Game Talk: Edmonton wins 5-2/Farewell to Number 94

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I have a whole new level of respect for that Canuck team -- the players and training staff coming out to shake his hand, for a guy who is not a superstar, and say their respects... good on you, Canucks. May you guys, along with the rest of the Canadian teams we all cheer for, rise up from this dismal season and bring some pride back to the country.

Smytty... you're a beauty. You got by on heart and dogged determination, and you loved the game most of all. :handclap::handclap::handclap:

oilersfan87

Jan 18, 2009
After a terrible season to be an Oilers fan that was certainly a great way to end it. I am also surprised the Canucks shook hands with Smyth after the game. I guess I don't hate them as much as I use to now.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Loved how Smyth exited with his family. Quite a well thought out exit for a favorite Oiler.

Next up.......Hallsy!

Different type of player than Smytty, but brings the right stuff.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
The legs held up rather decently for Smyth tonight. He played just over 23 minutes, including a marathon PP shift & actually had his best chance to score in the last couple minutes of the game.

It was a tremendous send off. Well played, Oil Country.

Would've went crazy in the rink if he could've tucked. I thought he damned near had one a couple of times.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Neat hearing Smyth talk about how he modeled himself after Bucky.

Yeeaaaars ago, I remember Buchberger saying how much he learned about leadership from Messier.

Lowe, THAT'S how you pass on greatness from the dynasty years. Not handing off-ice jobs to your cronies.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Dean-Winchester-Crying-Head-Shake-On-Supernatural.gif

Burnaby_Joe*

The epitome of a hockey player. I was soooo excited when the Avs signed him. When I think of the Oilers, I think of Smytty. I shed some tears tonight.

Thanks for everything, Smytty. :handclap:

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
It dawned on me during the game tonight that I don't remember a time when Smyth wasn't an Oiler. Even when he left for a few years he was still an Oiler. The greatest of my generation.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What an emotional night haha. Easily the best game I've been to since the playoff games.

I'm really going to miss Ryan Smyth. Wont be the same with him not around in the league.

Burnaby_Joe*

It dawned on me during the game tonight that I don't remember a time when Smyth wasn't an Oiler. Even when he left for a few years he was still an Oiler. The greatest of my generation.

I agree with this. Even when he was on the Avs, it looked so weird seeing him in a different jersey. He bleeds blue.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Taylor Hall gets to 80 pts, Scrivens is great again and what can you say, hats off and hands together for Ryan Smyth. A true class act and great individual.

It the Oilers do alot of things people question, they way they honour their own is always top notch, that was great tonight. The videos of Ryan's career, the messages from former teammates, all top notch. He deserves it, well done. And Captain for a game was a nice touch too.

I was there tonight, and I have to say that was a truly special night.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
What an emotional night haha. Easily the best game I've been to since the playoff games.

I'm really going to miss Ryan Smyth. Wont be the same with him not around in the league.

I still remember being very crushed when Mark Messier retired and thinking that it's not going to be the same anymore without him in the league.

10 years already since the ''Moose'' retired.

Hopefully the next 10 years won't go by quickly to the point where we'll be looking back and thinking boy,it was just yesterday that I remember Smyth playing his last game.

How depressing.:laugh:

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton
For everyone like me in their 20's who weren't around to be part of the Dynasty Era, Smyth was my biggest hero growing up and I think many others. He represents everything I love about sports and will always be wearing an Oilers sweater in my heart. Don't think this city, or the game for that matter, will see anyone else like him for a long, long time. Thanks for everything Smytty!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad