News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I am in the nielson and Fraser bandwagon, some of their stuff is lame but a lot of it is funny radio.

The person who fell off for me big time is lowtide, every time I turn on his stupid show, he's never talking about hockey with pisses me off because he used to all the time

I like lowtide, he gets me giggling sometimes.

In fairness, and I remember him saying this lots, so many of the shows are mainly about hockey, so lowtide wants to have more variety. I really dont mind it, between the morning show, and Gregor, there's lots of hockey talk to listen to throughout the day.

Besides, they interview most of the same people, and end up asking the same general questions anyway.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
It was nice hearing Majeau filling in for Gregor today. I usually avoid Gregor and his incessant whining but happened to turn the dial to 1260 today and listened almost the whole 4 hours. Also, one hell of a great music selection!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It was nice hearing Majeau filling in for Gregor today. I usually avoid Gregor and his incessant whining but happened to turn the dial to 1260 today and listened almost the whole 4 hours. Also, one hell of a great music selection!

I agree about Gregor.
He tends to get whiny and even his voice gets that whiny high pitched tone to it sometimes.

Very grating on the nerves so I usually just change the channel.

After changing the channel regularly I basically stopped listening all together and haven't tuned in for months now.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
While Nielson and Fraser are off to Cuba as of tomorrow, Dave Jamieson and Dan Tencer will be filling in.

So for all you Tencer haters, you have been forewarned.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Gregor is unlistenable now. I take any other show over his.

Yeah but at least gregor talks hockey and he's passionate about it. I'd take him over other people simply because hockey is the main topic on his show. Dave Jamieson and lowtide rarely talk hockey these days.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
Does anybody know why Dennis King is no longer a guest on Lowetides show? I really enjoyed his segments and just realized last week that it had been weeks if not a couple months since I heard from him. I figured he would be a popular guest amongst listeners.
Then last week on his twitter feed it seemed like he referenced something that happened to the answer as why he no longer was a guest.

Not sure what happened to King, i remember listening to his last segment, and he mentioned he might return someday, he was very honest, and definitnly told it like it is, not afraid to step on anybodys toes.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
nope, i put tim and sid on instead. majeau is awful, he's a try hard.

"Try hard" lol

He's a young buck filling in for his boss/co worker, plus he doesn't have a voice for radio. It's pretty simple. But in terms of knowledge and ability to talk a range of topics he's perfectly fine.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Not sure what happened to King, i remember listening to his last segment, and he mentioned he might return someday, he was very honest, and definitnly told it like it is, not afraid to step on anybodys toes.

Quite honestly King was so good he should've had his own show, guy is brilliant, a shame he's been gone for so long.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

He's well spoken and knowledgeable.

Not necessarily you but I swear media members can't win in this market.

I believe that sometimes the critics are media wannabes. Again, not you.

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
I can stand Gregor for the most part. I disagree with him at times and find some things he says nonsensical. There is nothing wrong with that. He does come across as whiny, but I figure it is just him being passionate about whatever he is talking about. I do like how frequent he talks about hockey; that is why I listen to 1260.

My major complaint is the constant pauses. And not just a second but for 5-7 seconds at a time. It's ridiculous. It lasts long enough that I wonder if my radio has gone on the fritz. I like to think he is taking to time to take a nice swig, that I could respect.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Does anybody know why Dennis King is no longer a guest on Lowetides show? I really enjoyed his segments and just realized last week that it had been weeks if not a couple months since I heard from him. I figured he would be a popular guest amongst listeners.
Then last week on his twitter feed it seemed like he referenced something that happened to the answer as why he no longer was a guest.
Quite honestly King was so good he should've had his own show, guy is brilliant, a shame he's been gone for so long.

Maybe he got (shudder!) a job.

Ogopogo*

Ugh Tencer is a loser

Tencer is a colossal *****. Jamieson is simply boring to listen to. I will do what I always do and not listen as I don't particularly care for Neilson either.

If your last name is not Tencer, and you listen to the Dan Tencer podcast - what the hell is wrong with you?

Ogopogo*

Tim and Sid are idiots.

Honestly, there aren't many sports media that are good. Most of them are arrogant jackasses that aren't as smart as they think and less are knowledgeable than many fans. The media needs to stop thinking they are equals with the players, they are not. The media are shmucks when they act like they are superstars.

I don't mind Reid Wilkins on CHED and Guy Flaming on TSN but, the rest of the guys on 1260 have gotten me listening to music again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ogopogo*

I don't really take the morning show seriously or listen to it anymore. I don't know, it just seems so immature 90% of the time. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed, Nielson is a tool. He has gotten me listening to music again.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
^^^its half and half, and quite honestly many of the media members or "sports journalists" HAVE put in a ton of work and been around for ages. It's just that the good ones are really few and far between, and they're usually writing or participate as contributors to shows rather than being the head guys.

Best in the country are ones like Bruce Arthur, Stephen Brunt, Duhachek out of Calgary used to be one, Pierre LeBrun and Bobby Mac on the hockey side. But surprise surprise the good ones are usually the guys or girls who don't scream and yell or act like idiots. They're quiet, do their homework and are humble people, in other words they're boring. The masses don't want to hear or watch these kinds of individuals for the most part.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
^^^its half and half, and quite honestly many of the media members or "sports journalists" HAVE put in a ton of work and been around for ages. It's just that the good ones are really few and far between, and they're usually writing or participate as contributors to shows rather than being the head guys.

Best in the country are ones like Bruce Arthur, Stephen Brunt, Duhachek out of Calgary used to be one, Pierre LeBrun and Bobby Mac on the hockey side. But surprise surprise the good ones are usually the guys or girls who don't scream and yell or act like idiots. They're quiet, do their homework and are humble people, in other words they're boring. The masses don't want to hear or watch these kinds of individuals for the most part.

The good guys though dont have to fill 3+ hours of air time. They come on for a 10 minute clip and talk about the few biggest hockey issues of the day and they sound smart. The problem regular daily program guys have is there's only so much you can talk about the latest issues then you have to find something else to say. They also have to deal with the fact that you have listeners coming and going so you sort of have to repeat yourself but you have to keep it fresh.

I'm lucky, I listen during my commute 7-7:30 in the morning and 5-5:30 in the afternoon. Usually the best guests are on and I only have to put up with a bit of the hosts.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Nielson & Fraser are what they are. A good morning show with some schtick. Fraser is fine with Nielson. Has to play the straightman to Dustin. Creed Tuesday needs to go for sure. It's past it's best before date.

Lowetide is good. I like the variety. Enough hockey on the radio in this city so I love the football (soccer) segments and the CFL stuff. I like whne Lt. Eric contributes. Good show !!

Jamieson is good as well. Good variety and a fresh take from a bit of the "inside" CFL perspective. Has a different take on a lot of the topics.

Gregor....show is kinda weak. He's become too much of a know-it-all and pompous. Overtalks people if he doesn't agree with their view. I'm surprised he can get guests in the studio with the size of his ego. I quite oftne swithc over to CHED on the drive home because he's unlistenable.

Majeau is just plain brutal. Everything seems forced. Not a natural broadcaster at all. Him and Brownlee need to be turfed.

My two cents....

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Today is the last day of Tencer's latest stint as co-guest host of the morning show. That means I'm really looking forward to tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad