News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

PaperDesigner

Mar 1, 2008
I honestly don't know how anyone can listen to this guy, no matter what the subject. His rambling, dopey attempts at being funny remind me of someone's old, embarassing uncle.

I'm usually not hyper-critical of this stuff because its not that important to me. I can enjoy Stauffer or Gregor or most of the rest but that Lowetide show... Just painful. I feel bad for that Eric guy having to entertain his old man ditherings about the 70s Expos or some barbeque he owned 30 years ago (seriously).

Funny, because his 'uncle Al' persona, usage of Corsi and other advanced statistics and interactions with Eric are precisely why I like his show best among those currently running on TSN 1260. I honestly don't know how you haven't figured out how widely varying tastes can be as to content, humour, etc..

Ogopogo*

The guy who posts under the Norm Ullman monicker isn't the real Norm Ullman, is he?

Unfortunately, no. I don't even resemble the man - I picked the moniker because he is one of the most underrated/forgotten players in NHL history, played a lot of great hockey in Edmonton and is an Alberta guy.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Unfortunately, no. I don't even resemble the man - I picked the moniker because he is one of the most underrated/forgotten players in NHL history, played a lot of great hockey in Edmonton and is an Alberta guy.

That's too bad as the real Ullman knew my dad. My all-time favourite player and all that you said.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
One of the callers (okay the only caller) to the TSN 1260 Oilers postgame show just referred to Wayne Gretzky as "Gretter"- twice!

My ears are bleeding now.

MoLarr

Aug 20, 2014
Eternia
The Twitter timeline is filled with Nielson retweets about a McD goal song. So the long march of worn tired jokes and perpetual mediocrity continues.

I will say, I enjoy the Esks post game. Only thing I listen to on that station now unless Fraser is on vacation. Freed from the shackles of a guy who either own part of the station or has pictures of Bob MacKenzie in a Vegas brothel, Dustin is very talented.

Jake and Chase > Fraser. And you all know I'm NOT WRONG!

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
The Twitter timeline is filled with Nielson retweets about a McD goal song. So the long march of worn tired jokes and perpetual mediocrity continues.

I will say, I enjoy the Esks post game. Only thing I listen to on that station now unless Fraser is on vacation. Freed from the shackles of a guy who either own part of the station or has pictures of Bob MacKenzie in a Vegas brothel, Dustin is very talented.

I was listening for a bit this morning, and it was awful, the McD goal song bit went on way too long, and Will Fraser was a joke this morning. He was justifying how the oilers were 0-3 and it was alright, because they lost to that powerhouse Dallas ???. He actually said if it was to Vancouver then i be worried, as they are not as good.
I'm not sure, if my memory is wrong, but the Canucks made the playoffs last year and the Stars didnt, and the Canucks already have 7pts this year. At least Nielsen ripped Fraser saying if you want to be a better team, you have to start winning some games you are not expected to.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007

You're WRONG, actually more like, wrong.

Jake Daniels - a very solid, professional radio veteran who was badly miscast on a sportstalk morning show and then kept around too long after the experiment failed. 4.5 out of 10
Kyle Chase - a novice brought in on the cheap whose only radio credentials were that his ex-NHLer brother does colour on the Blues broadcasts. Lost further points for being unwilling/unable to learn how to do anything more on the morning show than show up and be obnoxious. 2 out of 10
Wil Fraser - a contrarian by nature whose best fit on the radio is as a board op with very limited opportunities to speak on the air. The more he speaks, the more his often whacked-out opinions have a chance to annoy all who hear them. Not as badly miscast as Jake or nearly as grating & lazy as Chase. 6 out of 10

MoLarr

Aug 20, 2014
Eternia
You're WRONG, actually more like, wrong.

Jake Daniels - a very solid, professional radio veteran who was badly miscast on a sportstalk morning show and then kept around too long after the experiment failed. 4.5 out of 10
Kyle Chase - a novice brought in on the cheap whose only radio credentials were that his ex-NHLer brother does colour on the Blues broadcasts. Lost further points for being unwilling/unable to learn how to do anything more on the morning show than show up and be obnoxious. 2 out of 10
Wil Fraser - a contrarian by nature whose best fit on the radio is as a board op with very limited opportunities to speak on the air. The more he speaks, the more his often whacked-out opinions have a chance to annoy all who hear them. Not as badly miscast as Jake or nearly as grating & lazy as Chase. 6 out of 10

Poppycock defence of the indefensible. His career is a sports radio guy. His CAREER! The other two were Schlebs who backed into sports radio. Some semblance of knowledge is needed. Hell, he could follow the right guys on Twitter and read up on informed content while taking his morning dump.

Unless,......maybe this is actually his "informed" opinion....then that's even worse. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt he's lazy, not stupid.

I tried again this morning before the Baseball Tonight podcast loaded. "Oh, imagine next year with goins, tulo and pillar up the middle ...what defence".....sigh....I'd lay odds he doesn't even know who Devon Travis is. Lazy research.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Poppycock defence of the indefensible. His career is a sports radio guy. His CAREER! The other two were Schlebs who backed into sports radio. Some semblance of knowledge is needed. Hell, he could follow the right guys on Twitter and read up on informed content while taking his morning dump.

Unless,......maybe this is actually his "informed" opinion....then that's even worse. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt he's lazy, not stupid.

I tried again this morning before the Baseball Tonight podcast loaded. "Oh, imagine next year with goins, tulo and pillar up the middle ...what defence".....sigh....I'd lay odds he doesn't even know who Devon Travis is. Lazy research.

I like Poppycock so thanks for the compliment. If you read my original comment you'd see that I wasn't really defending Fraser very strongly. In his position as the morning show's producer and on-air sidekick, I'd say he's far more successful at the off-air part of his job. As for his role as Nielson's co-host, it's certainly not to do research. He's there to get a reaction from Dustin and/or the audience and he does that with his often misguided takes. The grain of salt was invented for Wil Fraser's listeners.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Funny, because his 'uncle Al' persona, usage of Corsi and other advanced statistics and interactions with Eric are precisely why I like his show best among those currently running on TSN 1260. I honestly don't know how you haven't figured out how widely varying tastes can be as to content, humour, etc..

I don't know why you're bringing up corsi, advanced stats or content when I specifically said, 'how anyone can listen to him NO MATTER WHAT the subject.

His rambling, nonsensical, hackneyed style ruins whatever subject that actually be worth listening to.

MoLarr

Aug 20, 2014
Eternia
Was this morning a "Cubs are awesome" circle jerk with no mention as to the loss of their starting ss and best defender?

Now I'm up to date.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Man I am super sick of media blaming the fans for things to do with this team. At noon Jameson and Iwanyk were harping on how quiet Rexall was, how the great bluejays fans were these days, blah, blah, blah.

It is up to sports teams to not kill their fan base with a decade of utterly dismally entertainment. It is not up to the fans to get the team up by mindlessly cheering for crap results.

Start winning the odd game and the fans will respond, most of us want to actually cheer. Give us a reason.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The funny thing about these days is it isn't even the whole flippin year. They just became loud as of late. I tend to think if we show success the same would happen.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The funny thing about these days is it isn't even the whole flippin year. They just became loud as of late. I tend to think if we show success the same would happen.

Exactly, the fact that they were using the jays, a team that made big moves late, got into the playoffs and are close to the world series vs the oilers was absurd. We had pretty damn good fan support on our cup run oh so many years ago.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Exactly, the fact that they were using the jays, a team that made big moves late, got into the playoffs and are close to the world series vs the oilers was absurd. We had pretty damn good fan support on our cup run oh so many years ago.

The rather unfortunate part that hurt the most is 3 games on the road to start, with the 3rd game being as pathetic as it was.

A lot of fans were giving this team the benefit of the doubt even against their judgement, but after 3 games the whole "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" has hit such an extreme that now this team needs to prove itself.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
I agree, years of poor performance is to blame for a quiet building.
But....
They weren't wrong. A loud crowd can lift a team. That was their point. The jay's crowd rattled the Rangers.
The building was quiet after the first goal. An early lead against a really good team is a reason to cheer. If not, why are you there?
Again, it's the Oilers' fault, but I can see the point.

MoLarr

Aug 20, 2014
Eternia
40000 people cheering on the most prolific offensive team (hence mega excitement chicks dig the long ball) in decades in an elimination game after an ump screw job in game 2 and THEN tulo getting k'd looking in the second with 2 on none out on a pitch 5 inches low and THEN bat-gate. ...

Comparisons to fans of an 0-3 oiler team that showed no signs of being able to win that game and has been the Philadelphia 76ers of the NHL for a decade........ seriously that was programming across multiple shows today?

Wow. Embarrassing.

I have an old Sirius lifetime radio but they don't give you the newer channels.....is there anything hockey related on the new receivers so I can hear intelligent convo? Serious question. Anyone know? How about the best downloadable iTunes podcasts?

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
40000 people cheering on the most prolific offensive team (hence mega excitement chicks dig the long ball) in decades in an elimination game after an ump screw job in game 2 and THEN tulo getting k'd looking in the second with 2 on none out on a pitch 5 inches low and THEN bat-gate. ...

Comparisons to fans of an 0-3 oiler team that showed no signs of being able to win that game and has been the Philadelphia 76ers of the NHL for a decade........ seriously that was programming across multiple shows today?

Wow. Embarrassing.

I have an old Sirius lifetime radio but they don't give you the newer channels.....is there anything hockey related on the new receivers so I can hear intelligent convo? Serious question. Anyone know? How about the best downloadable iTunes podcasts?

Quality McOil posted an episode above, but I would also like to recommend the Marek vs. Wyshinski podcast as well. It is a little east heavy at times, but they are still interesting to listen to. They usually do 4-5 episodes a week during the season, so it is pretty regular content. And that Interview with Remenda was pretty good, the guy knows his stuff.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I really like what Matt Kassian brings to TSN 1260. Perhaps a bigger role for him is in order...

...and no, I'm not Matt Kassian, Jason Gregor, Wil Fraser, Rick Pinter, Jake Daniels, Allison Currie, etc., etc., etc...

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I really like what Matt Kassian brings to TSN 1260. Perhaps a bigger role for him is in order...

...and no, I'm not Matt Kassian, Jason Gregor, Wil Fraser, Rick Pinter, Jake Daniels, Allison Currie, etc., etc., etc...

Meg Storm it is:sarcasm:

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Ive been looking for a picture of his face so I can match his voice to it. I personally see a either a 24 nerd or a enthusiastic 95 year old

c94eed56a5e84479a2939c9172434567c0147d4f.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad