OT: Edmonton Rush

Craig MacAtaracts

Visually...
Mar 11, 2013
I don't think transportation is the issue, I think the cheapest seat being 40 bucks scares away more college kids.

You can buy student priced tickets at U of A for $25. Problem is, not much students know about it, or have no interest in lacrosse.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
40 bucks is steep. Every lacrosse game I've watched I have liked, but it's hard to convince someone to blow 40 bucks on something they don't know much about. Most buddies rather go to the bar and spend that 40 bucks watching some other NHL game if the Oil aren't on.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I thought this might be the game they'd lose. Calgary has a good team but the Rush whipped them.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
10-0 to start the year.

I figured Calgary would be the streak ender, but they got handled last night.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
If the Rush win their next game they break the record for Edmonton pro teams for wins to start a season. The Eskimos in 1955 (I believe, but I haven't checked to confirm this) won their first 10 games. The Oilers never won 10 to start a season, despite their great teams in the dynasty years.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
The Rush is a great night out, and it's lacrosse at it's highest level.

Highly recommended. Great to see them having so much success.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Well, for a modern, post war sports team what the Rush are doing is great accomplishment. Frankly I'm not concerned with irrelevant records, but I am proud of the team and their season. I have been a lacrosse and NLL fan since before the Rush came to town. So I'm aware that the league is somewhat of a novelty, between the NLL, MLL, CLax, WLA/MSL the lacrosse market is very punctuated and small. The lack of cohesiveness in pro lacrosse limits it's interest outside of certain regions, but at this point that is the nature of the game.
I think my point is that if people in Edmonton are interested in seeing some lacrosse or even seeing something new, now is the time to take a chance on the Rush. This is a team than has been built over the years since expansion, they've learnt and grown with the struggles they've faced and now are being rewarded. I don't think going to check out the Rush now as hopping on a bandwagon, but as an opportunity to see a special team being rewarded for it's endurance and commitment to building a winner.
IMO the best part of these games is that they are all incredibly competitive events. The Rush have had maybe 2 blowout games where they've clearly beaten their opponents, but the rest of the games have been close. These games have been won in the dying minutes by skill, effort, defense, or just will power. And honestly, I see something beautiful in that level of sacrifice and commitment to winning that these players present, knowing they have a full time job waiting for them just around the corner. Plus the games themselves are fun and the organization puts on a good show.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Just to add for those that find the 40 bucks too steep that Safeway apparently sells tickets for 22bucks to Rush games (same as Eskimos) and U of A, Nait etc have the 25 buck student sales as well. Theres also United Cycle and some Family ticket price all at 25bucks as promotions. Also if the kid fits on your lap free of charge.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Maybe it's a generational thing and maybe it's just my own personal opinion but I have a hard time taking any sport seriously when they pump loud music through out the arena during the play. It seems gimmicky to me. You don't get that at a hockey, football, basketball or even a soccer game.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
If it meant the oilers winning they could play gaga, pink, and katy perry continuously and I wouldn't give a frick.

Jaeger03

Nov 14, 2008
Been to a couple games this year... they were great. Much more exciting (and rewarding) then watching the Oil. Give it a try!

Shredator

Oct 6, 2009
Edmonton
The Rush are 11-0 and have set a record for the most wins to start a season .

The longest winning streak is 13-0. 2 more wins. I think we can do it.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Maybe it's a generational thing and maybe it's just my own personal opinion but I have a hard time taking any sport seriously when they pump loud music through out the arena during the play. It seems gimmicky to me. You don't get that at a hockey, football, basketball or even a soccer game.

I agree. Seems bush league to me. The sport can't stand up on it's own for excitement without the music? I won't go to another game as long as they play music during the play.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I agree. Seems bush league to me. The sport can't stand up on it's own for excitement without the music? I won't go to another game as long as they play music during the play.

Well then you'll never go to another game. It's a league wide thing, and it's always been like that. I don't get why people are so offended by this. It's got absolutely nothing to do with the game, and it's not like they try to promote the sport by saying "Oh look at us we play music during play." It's just how it is.

How exactly is silence during hockey better?

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta

Wow, pass up a great product cause they use music.

Gimme a ****in break.

I'd rather music than dead silence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad