OT: Edmonton Rush

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Just went to the Rush game tonight against the Stealth, and wow, what a product. Fast paced, fun action and a team that's actually winning.

I would highly recommend the Rush if you want a good night of entertainment.

9-0 to start the season. Had a close one tonight. What an awesome sport.

Oct 30, 2011
I think I've gone to see a total of one game. I thought it was alright.

Maybe having a winning team will garner more interest?

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Was at the game tonight, reminded me how fun they are.
Non-stop action, the pace really keeps you glued to your seat, especially with only one 20 minute break.

Also, that 9-0 start is a league record. Don't let that fool you, the games are close, intense and the team is earning each win.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
would have been there fosho if possible. Edmontonians need to get behind this team and this sport. the NHL and the Oilers, right now at least, aren't anywhere near this level of entertainment. and as for entertainment value? well, not even close.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
If it was televised and I could keep up with it, I might be more inclined to go to a game or two a year. It is not however.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
The difference between the Rush and the Oilers is that the Rush have character and a team identity. The Oilers are a bunch of individuals trying to differentiate themselves in front of the full tard coach. Also, can we teach Rubich how to skate and put him on the Oilers? Hopefully some of his defensive awareness rubs off on this sad sack of a team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The Rush are dominating
The Golden Bears won their 15th West Title, one of the most dominating Unviersity hockey teams ever
The Oil Kings have dominated for the past 3 years, and are good once again

The Oilers are... picking in the lottery again

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree, they definitely should look for a TV deal with a local Edmonton station like CityTV or something. Getting them on TV and being able to pump PR out that way would be huge. As it is, they're already drawing close to 8,000 on a lot of nights.

I don't see them ever packing Rexall, but they could definitely break 10,000 with good promotion.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
There was a game on TSN last weekend when they played the Rock. That's the only game on TV this season. Last year there was 3 games on TV, the season before they had 8.

Edmonton has a strong lacrosse community, and while it is growing it is pretty small. The best way to get introduced to the sport is to see it live, the announcer even explains the rules and calls as they happen.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
The Rush are dominating
The Golden Bears won their 15th West Title, one of the most dominating Unviersity hockey teams ever

Actually, 51st, but yeah. ;)

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
The Rush are dominating

I know I'm splitting hairs, but anyone who doesn't make the playoffs is in the lottery…just sayin.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I agree, they definitely should look for a TV deal with a local Edmonton station like CityTV or something. Getting them on TV and being able to pump PR out that way would be huge. As it is, they're already drawing close to 8,000 on a lot of nights.

I don't see them ever packing Rexall, but they could definitely break 10,000 with good promotion.

What kind of promotions do they have? is it a kid focused atmosphere like the Oil Kings games?

I think they should do cheap beer nights at the games. Or try and get a college corner section like at Eskimos games. If they play on Saturdays they could make the games to end at 8 and have cheap beer im sure that would draw a lot of younger people to the games. I know some of my buddies go to the games, but think they could market to 20-28 YOs better

On a side note, the Rush have sign in Palm Springs right as you get off the plane on the way to your luggage :laugh: Shows how many people from Edmonton go.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
What kind of promotions do they have? is it a kid focused atmosphere like the Oil Kings games?

I think they should do cheap beer nights at the games. Or try and get a college corner section like at Eskimos games. If they play on Saturdays they could make the games to end at 8 and have cheap beer im sure that would draw a lot of younger people to the games. I know some of my buddies go to the games, but think they could market to 20-28 YOs better

On a side note, the Rush have sign in Palm Springs right as you get off the plane on the way to your luggage :laugh: Shows how many people from Edmonton go.

I wouldn't say it's kid focused like the Oilkings are. it is youth focused tho, under 30 crowd. tunes playing during the play.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

I think that is their exact target audience and it shows at the games.

It's certainly an older crowd than Oil Kings game, they have dancers (actually the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders we at the last game) and there's usually bar promo staff handing out drink tickets for after the game. I don't think they have any control over drinks, its just your typical Rexall crack beer.
Also, why would the game ending at 8 be appealing to a younger crowd? No one wants to go the bar at 8.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think that is their exact target audience and it shows at the games.

It's certainly an older crowd than Oil Kings game, they have dancers (actually the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders we at the last game) and there's usually bar promo staff handing out drink tickets for after the game. I don't think they have any control over drinks, its just your typical Rexall crack beer.
Also, why would the game ending at 8 be appealing to a younger crowd? No one wants to go the bar at 8.

They could always bus in U of A or Grant Mac kids to boost attendance and get the atmosphere going ( I know they have access to the LRT, but college kids are lazy and need a bus out front waiting for them)

If they were to play in the new arena I think their attendance would jump a bit, just due to location

I prefer to head back to a friends at 8 to keep pre drinking then going out later. But that's just me. I think 9:30-10ish would be a good time as well as it allows people to catch the LRTs and be at the bar by 10 or 10:30

I might have to go catch a couple games though.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
They could always bus in U of A or Grant Mac kids to boost attendance and get the atmosphere going ( I know they have access to the LRT, but college kids are lazy and need a bus out front waiting for them)

If they were to play in the new arena I think their attendance would jump a bit, just due to location

I prefer to head back to a friends at 8 to keep pre drinking then going out later. But that's just me. I think 9:30-10ish would be a good time as well as it allows people to catch the LRTs and be at the bar by 10 or 10:30

I might have to go catch a couple games though.

I don't think transportation is the issue, I think the cheapest seat being 40 bucks scares away more college kids.
Also, I don't really think that attendance is a huge issue, there was close to 8000 at the game last night. I haven't looked at the numbers but it seems like they draw good sized crowds compared to the Oil Kings with much less funding and advertising (albeit they only play 9 regular season home games a year and they're all weekend games).

Also, you just need to start your predrinking earlier and go straight out after the game. Saves on transportation.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I don't think transportation is the issue, I think the cheapest seat being 40 bucks scares away more college kids.
Also, I don't really think that attendance is a huge issue, there was close to 8000 at the game last night. I haven't looked at the numbers but it seems like they draw good sized crowds compared to the Oil Kings with much less funding and advertising (albeit they only play 9 regular season home games a year and they're all weekend games).

Also, you just need to start your predrinking earlier and go straight out after the game. Saves on transportation.

40 bucks is a bit pricey. Which is why they should get a college corner section (even if it is in the upper rows) for say 25 dollars. Im sure the 15 dollar benefit wouldnt sway regular attendees to switch seats to a worse view for a 15 dollar savings, but it would help bring it new people

Wonder what the cost to run the team is compared to the Oil Kings.

The Oil Kings have 30 home games in which they can earn revenue, as opposed to 9 home games for the Rush. I wouldn't think advertising/ sponsorship revenue would be that much higher for either one, seeing as the draw similar crowds

Does Katz also own the Rush?

For expenses

The Rush players are professionals earning salaries, whereas the Oil Kings get scholarships and a small living allowance (like 200 bucks a week or something). And I imagine the WHL helps deal with the scholarship costs. I don't thing the salaries are that high at all and most guy have second jobs, but im sure its more than 10k (cost of tution and books to U of A), and the Rush have to pay it themselves

I wonder who also has to pay for installing/removing the ice? that can be a good chunk of change too. The Oil Kings can just play behind the Oilers and don't have to pay this expense

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

They've got promotions through Safeway and United Cycle where you can get tickets for around $20.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
40 bucks is a bit pricey. Which is why they should get a college corner section (even if it is in the upper rows) for say 25 dollars. Im sure the 15 dollar benefit wouldnt sway regular attendees to switch seats to a worse view for a 15 dollar savings, but it would help bring it new people

Wonder what the cost to run the team is compared to the Oil Kings.

The Oil Kings have 30 home games in which they can earn revenue, as opposed to 9 home games for the Rush. I wouldn't think advertising/ sponsorship revenue would be that much higher for either one, seeing as the draw similar crowds

Does Katz also own the Rush?

For expenses

The Rush players are professionals earning salaries, whereas the Oil Kings get scholarships and a small living allowance (like 200 bucks a week or something). And I imagine the WHL helps deal with the scholarship costs. I don't thing the salaries are that high at all and most guy have second jobs, but im sure its more than 10k (cost of tution and books to U of A), and the Rush have to pay it themselves

I wonder who also has to pay for installing/removing the ice? that can be a good chunk of change too. The Oil Kings can just play behind the Oilers and don't have to pay this expense

No, Bruce Urban (businessman/RV dealship(s) owner) owns the Rush.
NLL players don't make a lot of money, they almost always have day jobs, and if I remember correctly during the season they're also limited to one practice session per week so they can still work. Last year the average players salary was $19,135.

As BDB pointed out they do have ticket deals available, but I don't see why they'd be concerned with pandering to college students. I'm a NAIT and recently a UAlberta grad and I've almost never seen or heard of students taking advantage of deals for sporting events (outside maybe the labour day classic with the Esks). It's something people will bring up once and a while but never really follow through with. There's a lot of young people in Alberta, and the Rush are obviously targeting them with the product they offer and it seems to be working. Student deals never made much sense to me.

Also I'm pretty sure they don't remove the ice, I think they just install a flooring over it with astro turf on top of that.

They've got promotions through Safeway and United Cycle where you can get tickets for around $20.

That's awesome, there's 4 more home games this year so hopefully I can take advantage of that. I paid $40 for seats in section 110 last night, united cycle has seats in the same section for $25.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
As BDB pointed out they do have ticket deals available, but I don't see why they'd be concerned with pandering to college students. I'm a NAIT and recently a UAlberta grad and I've almost never seen or heard of students taking advantage of deals for sporting events (outside maybe the labour day classic with the Esks). It's something people will bring up once and a while but never really follow through with. There's a lot of young people in Alberta, and the Rush are obviously targeting them with the product they offer and it seems to be working. Student deals never made much sense to me.

Also I'm pretty sure they don't remove the ice, I think they just install a flooring over it with astro turf on top of that.

Its pretty weird how sporting events aren't big in Canada, specifically Western Canada. In the States, college football dominates cities, even big cities with other major sports. In Minnesota/Boston college hockey is huge and routinely sell out

In Edmonton, the Golden Bears games get a good crowd, however the Barn is pretty small and isn't capacity every game. Youd think theyd get a lot more fans considering its on campus and the team is extremely good. I graduated from the U of A last year and never heard much about it on campus. I went to a couple games, and they were great games. But the atmosphere was lousy, maybe its changed since then

Any sport besides the Oilers doesn't get much hype at all (from college aged kids)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad