Friedman: Edmonton, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, and Boston are in on Michael Ferland

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
My concern with Ferland, both due to play style and his overall lack of resume, is signing him to a lucrative deal and you end up with the next Matt Belesky. Similar to Ferland, Belesky had that breakout season before signing his deal with the Bruins, then completely fell off a cliff.

I get the feeling the Canes management feels the same way. We'd love to keep Ferland, but it has to be at the right price. And since it appears Ferland is looking for a payday, that right price isn't likely to fall in their laps.

Ferland could very well be worth whatever he asks for. But with two concussions in his career, he could very well go the way of so many other power forwards and completely fall off a cliff by 30.

Reactions: SvechNecas

member 290103

I get the feeling the Canes management feels the same way. We'd love to keep Ferland, but it has to be at the right price. And since it appears Ferland is looking for a payday, that right price isn't likely to fall in their laps.

Ferland could very well be worth whatever he asks for. But with two concussions in his career, he could very well go the way of so many other power forwards and completely fall off a cliff by 30.

Plus Jim Benning has cap space this off season. Likely Ferlands agent wants to see how absurd Jim will get.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
If he doesn't want to sign what can you do though?

I feel like they got Nino(basically for free) to replace Ferland and then trade Ferland for futures.

If he doesn't want to sign? The organization should have crossed their T's and dotted their I's on that when they made that trade in the summer. The guy was a pending UFA, they should've had assurances on the kind of contract he was seeking when the trade was made, if not made the trade entirely contingent on signing long term. I would not have traded long term team and cost-controlled assets for a short term controlled asset like Ferland being a big piece of the trade unless I immediately signed him long term or was very confident of signing him long term at a reasonable rate.

We ABSOLUTELY want to keep Ferland. He's been a gamer for us. What we absolutely cannot do is pay him $7Mx6 or something similarly ridiculous. For one, he only has 55 career goals. That's not enough to justify paying him big money. Secondly, power forwards do not age well in the NHL. For more details, pay a visit to the EDM board and have a gander at their opinions of Lucic and how he is now handicapping that roster.

Again... everyone wants the kid. But we will need to say "goodbye" if he insists on too much money for too much term. The sad thing is, there is a desperate GM out there somewhere that is going to pay him... and most likely eventually regret it.

These are fair points, but ones I think a GM should have considered before acquiring a pending UFA in a trade where he gave up as much in NHL talent as he did.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
These are fair points, but ones I think a GM should have considered before acquiring a pending UFA in a trade where he gave up as much in NHL talent as he did.

Remember that Ferland wasn’t the main piece. Everyone at the time thought Hamilton was the best player in the deal. Hoping he still can be. He seems to be warming up after a slow start.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’m trying to decide what the more Chia move is: Trading Puljujarvi, Talbot, + for Ferland and Mrazek only to have them walk away for nothing, or trading for them and re-signing both of them to monster overpays. Can’t decide what’s worse.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I’m trying to decide what the more Chia move is: Trading Puljujarvi, Talbot, + for Ferland and Mrazek only to have them walk away for nothing, or trading for them and re-signing both of them to monster overpays. Can’t decide what’s worse.

Well he brought in Koski to push Talbs and they've both been average.

I'd guess they both walk anyway.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Was very interested in Ferland from a Canuck perspective, but for a 1st, and a prospect.... no thanks

Yes that's rich. I'd do a 2nd (which will presumably be fairly high) and Goldobin, or a comparable prospect. Will be interesting to see if he actually gets a 1st in return.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Oh + would be our first or Bouchard or something equally disgusting as long as you kick in something broken and worthless in the AHL, don’t fret about that. We never get decent value.
I appreciate the gesture but still grimace. I would relate to your lack of faith in your teams management but we finally made a good trade (as of today) so I’ll just give you a solemn nod of acknowledgement that only someone who follows a continuously bad team can understand.

Reactions: SvechNecas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad