Friedman: Edmonton, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, and Boston are in on Michael Ferland

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Not even a little interesting.

1st or Puljujarvi. Canes already have the top AHL team in league minors stacked with 1st/2nd round picks. They don't need more projected middle-6 talent.

Whoa that's a lot. A premium for Ferland. I can't see Edmonton doing that for a rental. A playoff team might give up a late 1st, I guess I could see that.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I doubt the Pens are going to get him or top the packages Carolina will see.

Unless Rutherford has something brilliant planned (move Brassard out west to a cap strapped contender, take the futures received and flip them to Carolina). Unless Carolina wants/needs Jarry and that could be a starting point. Either way, the idea that Carolina would take Brassard to try to flip him later is fantasy.

I'd love to get him. I don't want to pay the fair price to get him though.

The HF trade board in a nutshell.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Whoa that's a lot. A premium for Ferland. I can't see Edmonton doing that for a rental. A playoff team might give up a late 1st, I guess I could see that.

Ferland has a game made for the Playoffs and is playing very well this year. Reportedly the Canes preference is to sign him. Although Niederreiter addition might change that somewhat.

I doubt the Pens are going to get him or top the packages Carolina will see.

Unless Rutherford has something brilliant planned (move Brassard out west to a cap strapped contender, take the futures received and flip them to Carolina). Unless Carolina wants/needs Jarry and that could be a starting point. Either way, the idea that Carolina would take Brassard to try to flip him later is fantasy.

The HF trade board in a nutshell.

Canes have Nedeljkovic already who is similarly a 2nd round pick and is 51-17-2 as a starter in the AHL over the past 2 seasons. He deserves a chance long before the Canes acquire a piece like Jarry. Canes lower-level goalies Callum Booth and Jeremy Helvig are playing well also.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Ferland is a decent PF. At the right age to. Good pick up for a playoff bound team or one in the race to get there (Buffalo).

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
I am sorry but it's bizarre to me that Carolina wants to trade this guy for futures after what they gave up in that package. At some point you have to sign good players. Can't keep trading them for futures and when those futures turn into NHL players, trading them for more futures, it's a vicious cycle.

We ABSOLUTELY want to keep Ferland. He's been a gamer for us. What we absolutely cannot do is pay him $7Mx6 or something similarly ridiculous. For one, he only has 55 career goals. That's not enough to justify paying him big money. Secondly, power forwards do not age well in the NHL. For more details, pay a visit to the EDM board and have a gander at their opinions of Lucic and how he is now handicapping that roster.

Again... everyone wants the kid. But we will need to say "goodbye" if he insists on too much money for too much term. The sad thing is, there is a desperate GM out there somewhere that is going to pay him... and most likely eventually regret it.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Not one Pens fan would be against this trade.

Not a single one. Not liking bad tough players who only get in the lineup because of perceived "toughness" doesn't mean you're anti good tough and gritty players. Everyone loves
Hornqvist.

Nailed it.

The bottom line is I want the Pens to win. Be it with speed and skill (what has worked recently) or sandpaper and grit. Ideally with all of those working in harmony. In 2016 we watched smaller guys like Rust and Sheary get smacked around. Any they won a cup anyway. Afterward I wasnt really sitting there lamenting all the times they lost scrums on the way.

What a terrible take from that poster.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I am sorry but it's bizarre to me that Carolina wants to trade this guy for futures after what they gave up in that package. At some point you have to sign good players. Can't keep trading them for futures and when those futures turn into NHL players, trading them for more futures, it's a vicious cycle.

If he doesn't want to sign what can you do though?

I feel like they got Nino(basically for free) to replace Ferland and then trade Ferland for futures.

Would look great on Boston's 2nd line as the RW. That's what he played most of the time in Calgary. Deceptively fast, great shot, very physical, and would be a good complement to Debrusk and Krejci.

Bruins should definitely be in on him if it is the Hurricanes' plan to trade him.

Nahh, he's not the guy the 2nd line needs.

They'd have to mix lines a bit I feel.

I don't want to pay the price for him, 1st rounder nor really look at re-signing him because it would leave no money to address a weakness.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
BUF certainly has the draft currency in 3 1sts this year to acquire him. I also think some reparations for one Jeffrey Skinner should be in order.
Ferland being a UFA, I would consider a package of Ferland and Faulk for the San Jose or Buffalo 2020 1st in a return package. The question I would have is what are the Canes needs overall, not just roster wise.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Ferland being a UFA, I would consider a package of Ferland and Faulk for the San Jose or Buffalo 2020 1st in a return package. The question I would have is what are the Canes needs overall, not just roster wise.

Moving them together for a package built around a middle of the round first doesn’t make sense for us.

Our goal in moving a rhd is to acquire a top 6 forward.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
As a Canes fan I couldn’t agree more. Ridiculously frustrating. They had to have had an idea of the price going in. You don’t trade Lindholm for “we’ll take a swing at this ufa to be, if it doesn’t work it doesn’t work”.

I don't know that "commerce" wasn't part of DW's thinking all along.

Buy Ferland at one price, use him all year long and if he outplays expectations enough that he prices himself out of re-signing, trade him for more than we paid.

Problem is what Lindy and Hanny have done this season makes that look worse than it is.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
We ABSOLUTELY want to keep Ferland. He's been a gamer for us. What we absolutely cannot do is pay him $7Mx6 or something similarly ridiculous. For one, he only has 55 career goals. That's not enough to justify paying him big money. Secondly, power forwards do not age well in the NHL. For more details, pay a visit to the EDM board and have a gander at their opinions of Lucic and how he is now handicapping that roster.

Again... everyone wants the kid. But we will need to say "goodbye" if he insists on too much money for too much term. The sad thing is, there is a desperate GM out there somewhere that is going to pay him... and most likely eventually regret it.

My concern with Ferland, both due to play style and his overall lack of resume, is signing him to a lucrative deal and you end up with the next Matt Belesky. Similar to Ferland, Belesky had that breakout season before signing his deal with the Bruins, then completely fell off a cliff.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Ferland + 2019 2nd + Scott Darling (6.2 Million cash dump)

for

Baertschi + Dahlen

Ferland and Baertschi are the same age, have relatively the same Points Per Game throughout their careers,
Baertschi is signed for 2 more years at just under (3.5 Million). Dahlen is a good prospect in his 1st yr. in the AHL. Baertschi has a slight edge on career points and PP points. Both play 2nd line.

Vancouver wants the 2nd in 2019 because the draft is in Vancouver. Darling is a Cash dump, Carolina can take the money they would spend on Ferland (4.5 to 5.5 Million) and Darling's money (3.1 Million) and go shopping at the UFA sale, July 1st.

That is 7.6 to 8.6 Million for Ferland to Carlolina + a good prospect,,,,any more and Vancouver just waits and goes to the UFA sale (which they probably should anyways)

That is definitely Duchene and Skinner territory and only 2 to 3 M off of Panarin and Stone territory

Not a chance I'd do this for Vancouver. No interest in Darling when we have Markstom backed up by Demko already- need to see what Demko can do. We just traded a goalie away no reason to pick up another one. Dipietro will be in Utica next year as the next prospect goalie so in the crease we shouldn't be adding anything at the moment. Dahlen I'd rather hold onto to see if he can put it together as well. My guess is that Goldobin will go eventually when Dahlen is ready to make the jump and take his roster spot (if that ever happens- reports are he's playing like a perimeter player this year). Depending on having a reasonable contract in place for Ferlund though I would do Baertschi for Ferlund and a mid-late pick (difference in contract status). That being said, if Ferlund is moved after getting Nino I think futures are probably the route Carolina might be going with him.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Not a chance I'd do this for Vancouver. No interest in Darling when we have Markstom backed up by Demko already- need to see what Demko can do. We just traded a goalie away no reason to pick up another one. Dipietro will be in Utica next year as the next prospect goalie so in the crease we shouldn't be adding anything at the moment. Dahlen I'd rather hold onto to see if he can put it together as well. My guess is that Goldobin will go eventually when Dahlen is ready to make the jump and take his roster spot (if that ever happens- reports are he's playing like a perimeter player this year). Depending on having a reasonable contract in place for Ferlund though I would do Baertschi for Ferlund and a mid-late pick (difference in contract status). That being said, if Ferlund is moved after getting Nino I think futures are probably the route Carolina might be going with him.

If we’re somehow able to convince someone to take Darling they wouldn’t be playing him. He’d either be buried or bought out.

Have you seen his stats in the ahl this year? Through 10 games he has an .882 sv % playing for the best team in the league.

He’s completely done. Charlotte is 13 points ahead of the 2nd place team and he’s somehow managing worse stats than he did in the nhl.

Reactions: SvechNecas

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
If we’re somehow able to convince someone to take Darling they wouldn’t be playing him. He’d either be buried or bought out.

Have you seen his stats in the ahl this year? Through 10 games he has an .882 sv % playing for the best team in the league.

He’s completely done. Charlotte is 13 points ahead of the 2nd place team and he’s somehow managing worse stats than he did in the nhl.
Even still I don't see us taking him on- that's a tough buyout to swallow with a potential Luongo recapture penalty looming already for us.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Yes that is far too much. I think Ferland is more likely to be a 3rd liner on a true contender than a 1st or 2nd liner.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Canes have Nedeljkovic already who is similarly a 2nd round pick and is 51-17-2 as a starter in the AHL over the past 2 seasons. He deserves a chance long before the Canes acquire a piece like Jarry. Canes lower-level goalies Callum Booth and Jeremy Helvig are playing well also.

Got it, thanks. Since Jarry is probably on the way out it would be nice to include him in a deal...somewhere. But if Carolina already have their future plans laid out for G, then clearly its gonna be somewhere else.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I think Ferland is part of the middle class of players who are going to feel the squeeze of the salary cap.

He would be a good edition to a team that wants to go deep into the playoffs. Worth a first as a rental at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad