GDT: Edmonton Oilers @ Detroit Red Wings - 7 EST

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
He's such a big body his movements appear to be in slow-motion at times. But it's also his giant frame that allows him to steal pucks and create space, but yeah let's pile on our 23 yo top scoring forward who's paid $850,000. I said before playing with Nyquist and Z is a possession black hole swallowing any chance he has at sustained pressure. Put him back with Larkin I believe he'll have a greater amount of effective shifts again.

I don't get the comments about effort level. We're talking about Glendening, Helm, Ouellet, Kronwall, Ericsson, Jensen, Nielsen, Daley. WTF do people expect from guys who are either sophomore players, guys WAAAY past their prime, or near an AHL talent level? Doesn't Holland realize the average age of NHL retirement is 28? What you see is what you get. If Detroit goes on a massive losing streak facing the quality of competition scheduled the next two weeks don't be surprised.

Floating around on the ice is not an illusion, Mantha doesn't move his feet most of the time. This has been a known issue for a long time now. He could be so much more if he actually played like he cared.

WTF do people expect? I expect a team to look like they give a f*** out there. You might lose but rolling over and dying is unacceptable.

Calling out leadership only accomplishes so much though, imho. Last night's game isn't the first time the compete level wasn't there nor will it be the last. Ultimately it's his job to come up with solutions for the deeper issues and not just call out surface issues.

I give Trashill as much crap as the next person, but wth is he suppose to be... these players psychiatrist? The bigger issue leadership is failing to get the younger players to buy into this Red Wings culture of hard work. You always hear them say "there is no point in getting angry or frustrated" BULLCRAP!!! Get angry get mad show you want to play with pride.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Last season was an absolute disaster and players like Tatar and Nyquist were worse than Mantha has ever been. Yet Blashill never called any of them out by name. That's my biggest issue with Blashill, call out whoever you want, but actually be accountable instead of only holding the players accountable who are easiest to call out.

In the military, NCO's are drilled with this idea (pic). It was in the front of the NCO handbook when I joined the community almost two decades ago.

quote-praise-in-public-criticize-in-private-vince-lombardi-87-83-63.jpg

Reactions: Redder Winger

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
In the military, NCO's are drilled with this idea (pic). It was in the front of the NCO handbook when I joined the community almost two decades ago.

quote-praise-in-public-criticize-in-private-vince-lombardi-87-83-63.jpg
The worst part is none of the reporters and writers in Detroit have the backbone to turn it around on Blashill

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I give Trashill as much crap as the next person, but wth is he suppose to be... these players psychiatrist? The bigger issue leadership is failing to get the younger players to buy into this Red Wings culture of hard work. You always hear them say "there is no point in getting angry or frustrated" BULLCRAP!!! Get angry get mad show you want to play with pride.
A hard work ethic is synonomous with every player on every team in every sport, it isn't exclusive to the Red Wings. Detroit doesn't the have hard work ethic market cornered like the people in this state think they do.

He's not supposed to be their psychiatrist by any means but he should be a good enough coach to know which buttons to press to get them motivated, just seems like he doesn't. I mean, you can't make them skate and a coach can only do / say so much so some of it has to fall on their own accountability too

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Did the rest of the team really suck as bad as Mantha and AA, though? I got the impression the effort was there for the rest of the team but it just wasn't clicking and no one was on the same page.

Mantha and AA were pretty obviously not trying much at all. That play in the D zone where AA was puck watching while his guy was wiiiide open for the pass and had all the time in the world to score the goal? I can't imagine how frustrating that can be for a coach.

I think Athanasiou thought Dekeyser would take him.
Dekeyser took nobody on that play, too. He's a veteran making $5M a year and nobody here questions his effort or IQ on that goal.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I think Athanasiou thought Dekeyser would take him.
Dekeyser took nobody on that play, too. He's a veteran making $5M a year and nobody here questions his effort or IQ on that goal.
Weird, a player that missed nearly 20 games isn't getting as much flak in his first game back.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Are you joking? DeKeyser actually had two guys he was covering. Green was backing him up to take the guy that went to the net. AA thought those guys needed help for some reason and left his guy wiiiiide open.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Are you joking? DeKeyser actually had two guys he was covering. Green was backing him up to take the guy that went to the net. AA thought those guys needed help for some reason and left his guy wiiiiide open.
I'd have to watch the replay again, as I didn't even watch it again last night, but that sounds more right. Green went from his right to left. I didn't watch DDK on the play.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
If you're talking about the second Edmonton goal, at first I thought it was AA just puck chasing but on the replay it actually looks like it was Tatar's man and he peeled off too.

Though honestly looking at it again, I'm not sure what AA or Tatar were thinking on that one. They both just left coverage on Maroon without even looking around.

And the pass by Tatar on the 6th goal, ouch. It turned a 3 on 2 into an odd man rush the other way with Larkin trying to cover Jensen's spot (poorly). What a bad night for that line.

Which again makes it strange to me to call out Mantha of all people.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Did the rest of the team really suck as bad as Mantha and AA, though? I got the impression the effort was there for the rest of the team but it just wasn't clicking and no one was on the same page.

Mantha and AA were pretty obviously not trying much at all. That play in the D zone where AA was puck watching while his guy was wiiiide open for the pass and had all the time in the world to score the goal? I can't imagine how frustrating that can be for a coach.

I know a lot of people love him, but I thought AA was the worst player we iced last night. He played about as poorly as I have seen him play.

He has taken some steps forward to be sure this year, but last night was a burn the tape for AA kind of game. He didn't do a thing right really and he appeared to quit pretty early into the proceedings.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Nope, you're right.
It was Green I was thinking of. And even then, Green isn't at fault. There were two forwards on that side.
Athanasiou's attention follows the skater to his right. It's like he didn't know the on the left was there.
I saw someone blame Tatar, but he wasn't catching him.

The one thing I'd say is I'd like to see Green or Dekeyser point to the forward on the open wing.

The other criticism I have here of Athanasiou is that he does that "wave the stick in there" play and then just backs away.
He hustles hard enough to get in the play but he doesn't engage hard enough to force a loose puck.

Sometimes it seems like he plays like he's afraid of getting hurt.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
To be fair, Mantha was really poor last night. AA was pretty bad too. AA is boneheaded defensively, frequently blowing coverage....and isn't very good at using his teammates as we know, but he did try to keep his legs going until the 5 goal went in, despite some poor mistakes, including their goal. Mantha just did his occasional thing of looking totally passive and disengaged.

I think he can live with being called out on this one, seeing as the world and his wife has been singing his praises up until two games ago. But last night he wasn't skating, battling in the corners and on the boards or shooting. He's gonna get called out because he's shown us only a few days ago that when he's on, he's the most dangerous player on this team...against EDM he was one of the worst.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
I think there is a misconception that calling out a player is meant as a punishment, rather than a motivational tool. Different players require different handling, and based on Holland, Devellano, and now Blashill's comments, I think it's clear that the Red Wings believe Mantha responds well to being challenged publicly. The reason we don't see other players get the same treatment is more likely because the team believes they respond better some other form of coaching, and not because there is some bizarre vendetta against one of the most important players in the organization.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Didn't mantha go to sports psychologist after he broke his leg and lost his confidence/struggled in GR? Maybe the psychologist figured out that calling mantha out publically is a good way to motivate him, and the dude told the team to do that every once in a while if Mantha isn't playing great

.... seems like a stretch lol, Idk if I believe this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad