GDT: Edmonton Oilers @ Detroit Red Wings - 7 EST

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
blashill is on the hot seat and I'm sure he knows it. For the wings to have a chance at making the playoffs, they need mantha going at 100% so i can see why he would single him out.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
We are now only 1 point ahead of last year at this time. We were 10-10-2. At least we're consistent at something. Offense is better and special teams are better this year though. If that keeps up we should be able to win more games and get in the playoffs.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
blashill is on the hot seat and I'm sure he knows it. For the wings to have a chance at making the playoffs, they need mantha going at 100% so i can see why he would single him out.

Agree with this, my worry is Blashill has no other ability to send a message so he'll scratch or put Martha on the 4th line now.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Call out Martha all you want, but to not call out other players when they play even worse is the sign of a really bad coach.
43c7b2a12fbdff46d3083a0642fc3673.jpg

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I hope Mantha is the kind of guy that takes these personal shots in public in his stride.

Well he has, but there has to be a point where he gets sick of Devellano, Holland and Blashill taking runs at him. Enough is enough, the guy is a building block. He is currently our best shot at a legitimate superstar on the team. I know they say that is why they are pushing him, but the entire team has played like crap for two games. It isn't right to single him out.

Now I do think a part of this is the transition. Earlier this month when we were winning in large part because of the big three kids in terms of Mantha, Larkin and Athanasiou there was lots of praise. Well when they don't go we are not going to win so this is a part of it. They did this a little with Zetterberg and Datsyuk but I feel like it was handled better and really that is no surprise Lidstrom made sure it was easier. However, there has to be a point where the team no shows that we can talk about the team no showing. Now I think Blashill tried that on Sunday and was trying something different. But to Heaton's point it cannot always be the same guys being singled out. In fact now would have been the time to run the vets a little. To no show in two straight games, really outside of Kronwall I think he could have lit up basically every guy on the team, he could have likely gained some ground pointing out Daley and Ericsson need to be smarter with the puck and bring more. That the battle of his matchup checking line in two straight games has been pretty pathetic out of those guys. There was plenty to chew on but he choose to look the youngsters again and that is tiring.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I hope Mantha is the kind of guy that takes these personal shots in public in his stride.
He will, but it certainly won't help his relationship with management going forward, as TZE stated.

We already had one problem with signing a player who had a tenuous relationship with coaching and management. Management should not be actively making it harder to retain their young stars, work ethic concerns or not. In the words of Sgt. Landsman of the Wire: We do not put red up on the board voluntarily.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He will, but it certainly won't help his relationship with management going forward, as TZE stated.

We already had one problem with signing a player who had a tenuous relationship with coaching and management. Management should not be actively making it harder to retain their young stars, work ethic concerns or not. In the words of Sgt. Landsman of the Wire: We do not put red up on the board voluntarily.

the-wire-gif-18.gif

Reactions: ArGarBarGar

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Blashill is a ****ing joke. His accountability comments are ridiculous and he's a hypocrite. He'll never be a successful NHL coach.

He only holds AA and Mantha accountable, everyone else gets a free pass, it's embarrassing.

I didn't see the game but was Mantha that bad last night?? What's up with their calling this kid out?

I've watched the Wings a long time and don't really remember them calling out a young player like this, at least not one that seems to be performing pretty well.

Blashill feeling the heat regarding his job?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I wonder if people consider James Neal a superstar? I like Mantha, but I don't think he has superstar potential.

Maybe that's why brass is hard on Mantha is because they want him to be more than a James Neal, but goal scorers are streaky (and pretty much invisible when not on the scoresheet). I come to accept Mantha isn't a building block... just as James Neal isn't.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
In my day, if the coach didn't call you out, you wouldn't be around long. Calling you out was a sign that he took an interest in improving your play. As the twig is bent, so grows the tree.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I wonder if people consider James Neal a superstar? I like Mantha, but I don't think he has superstar potential.

Maybe that's why brass is hard on Mantha is because they want him to be more than a James Neal, but goal scorers are streaky and I come to accept Mantha isn't a building block... just as James Neal isn't.
I agree about Mantha. Maybe management is so desperate that they're hoping to make him a superstar, but this seems like a bad way to go about it.

I just don't get it coming off a game where it sounds like the whole team crapped the bed. But you call out the team's second leading scorer who hasn't even played 100 games in the NHL?

I think young players do go through an adjustment period as they figure out how much of a grind the NHL season is. I just don't see why you single him out after last night.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I didn't see the game but was Mantha that bad last night?? What's up with their calling this kid out?

I've watched the Wings a long time and don't really remember them calling out a young player like this, at least not one that seems to be performing pretty well.

Blashill feeling the heat regarding his job?
You can argue AA was worse but I expect him to be the Brendan Smith of forwards in the defensive zone.

I don't think it's Blashill feeling heat about his job more so it's a defense mechanism / last resort for Blashill when he doesn't know what else to say in an interview.

You hold your best employees to higher standards but it's really not great management to go over the PA and rip them apart. That's telling me he doesn't have any solutions.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Personally I think Trash should call out the leadership on this team again. After a bad game you have a meh start, but then give up the last two periods.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Personally I think Trash should call out the leadership on this team again. After a bad game you have a meh start, but then give up the last two periods.
Calling out leadership only accomplishes so much though, imho. Last night's game isn't the first time the compete level wasn't there nor will it be the last. Ultimately it's his job to come up with solutions for the deeper issues and not just call out surface issues.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I've been posting even in games in which Mantha gets points he still looks lazy. Nothing new to me.

He's such a big body his movements appear to be in slow-motion at times. But it's also his giant frame that allows him to steal pucks and create space, but yeah let's pile on our 23 yo top scoring forward who's paid $850,000. I said before playing with Nyquist and Z is a possession black hole swallowing any chance he has at sustained pressure. Put him back with Larkin I believe he'll have a greater amount of effective shifts again.

I don't get the comments about effort level. We're talking about Glendening, Helm, Ouellet, Kronwall, Ericsson, Jensen, Nielsen, Daley. WTF do people expect from guys who are either sophomore players, guys WAAAY past their prime, or near an AHL talent level? Doesn't Holland realize the average age of NHL retirement is 28? What you see is what you get. If Detroit goes on a massive losing streak facing the quality of competition scheduled the next two weeks don't be surprised.

Reactions: avssuc

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Did the rest of the team really suck as bad as Mantha and AA, though? I got the impression the effort was there for the rest of the team but it just wasn't clicking and no one was on the same page.

Mantha and AA were pretty obviously not trying much at all. That play in the D zone where AA was puck watching while his guy was wiiiide open for the pass and had all the time in the world to score the goal? I can't imagine how frustrating that can be for a coach.

Reactions: Shaman464

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Did the rest of the team really suck as bad as Mantha and AA, though? I got the impression the effort was there for the rest of the team but it just wasn't clicking and no one was on the same page.

Last season was an absolute disaster and players like Tatar and Nyquist were worse than Mantha has ever been. Yet Blashill never called any of them out by name. That's my biggest issue with Blashill, call out whoever you want, but actually be accountable instead of only holding the players accountable who are easiest to call out.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
In my day, if the coach didn't call you out, you wouldn't be around long. Calling you out was a sign that he took an interest in improving your play. As the twig is bent, so grows the tree.

Hah, well if this is the case it all but affirms how terrible this roster is.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Mantha and AA were pretty obviously not trying much at all. That play in the D zone where AA was puck watching while his guy was wiiiide open for the pass and had all the time in the world to score the goal? I can't imagine how frustrating that can be for a coach.

AA was the worst forward on the ice. He just didn't give a f*** the second the team was down.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad