Rumor: Edmonton Oilers are the front runners to sign Paul Ranger

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Let Ranger walk. He has a HUGE ego. Its subtle, but in interviews U can see how arrogant he is. He is one of the very few who I see this from.

If he has a "huge ego" wouldn't he want to play in the largest Market in the League?

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
If Ranger were to return to the NHL than Edmonton would be a logical choice based on his connection to Eakins.

This is not a new concept as we have discussed this possibility on this board in the past.
This is a guy who gave up being a top 4 defenceman in the NHL before he had made a lot of his potential pay to pursue personal matters. The reason he picked Toronto was evidently just as personal as it was close to home and his family apparently. I don't see how a coach would trump that, and I don't see how a guy who seems to keep his cards this close to his chest would have information like that leak to these nobodies.

If he leaves it isn't a big deal (for Toronto, Edmonton is barren enough for it to be exciting), but I don't think he will and I wouldn't prefer it.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
That really sucks... first eakins, now ranger, and for what, nothing? I really saw ranger as a top 4 dman on the leafs sigh*

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
At this point, can Ranger sign a two way contract?

If Ranger would have signed a NHL 2-way contract last season then he would be a RFA and Leafs property today.

However seeing as he signed an AHL only contract he was never Leafs property in the first place. So you can't really lose what you never had, from that standpoint.

There is nothing stopping Ranger from signing a 2-way NHL contract today as he is a UFA, however if the desire is to play for the Marlies then he would have to clear waivers and might be claimed by another team, thus preventing him from playing in the AHL in Toronto.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Very very doubtful ranger goes all the way out west. He likes the east due to being close to home, which is probably why he signed with the marlies.

If hes going to the NHL, it's for the leafs, or at the most some other Eastern team, i highly doubt he'd go that far from home over one coach.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
That really sucks... first eakins, now ranger, and for what, nothing? I really saw ranger as a top 4 dman on the leafs sigh*

Eakins payed his dues and like many before him, earned an NHL gig through hard work.

Ranger was never leafs property. Tough to swallow, but thems the brakes. If you saw him as a top4 dman, you need to re-evaluate your assessment skills.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

top 4?.......not sure he was even in the top 10 of all AHL defenseman?..edmonton can sign every guy they want ,end of tyhe day in a few years are gonna have mega cap issues ,ranger isnt a concern ,

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Ranger owes the Leafs nothing. That said, I hope he works out something and tries to come back with the Leafs. He is an interesting story and the Leafs have demonstrated flexibility and understanding to his situation....whatever it is.

Salgari

Apr 29, 2004
www.myspace.com
Well if he goes, good riddance.

Go follow Eakins like a puppy. And if he busts in Edmonton? Follow him back to the AHL?

Signing to play with Torts worked wonders for Richards

ALine

May 14, 2012
If Ranger would have signed a NHL 2-way contract last season then he would be a RFA and Leafs property today.

However seeing as he signed an AHL only contract he was never Leafs property in the first place. So you can't really lose what you never had, from that standpoint.

There is nothing stopping Ranger from signing a 2-way NHL contract today as he is a UFA, however if the desire is to play for the Marlies then he would have to clear waivers and might be claimed by another team, thus preventing him from playing in the AHL in Toronto.

If I recall correctly, I think he actually did have NHL contract offers when it became known that he wants to make a return to hockey, but chose specifically, and AHL contract in Toronto.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I don't get why people are mad at Ranger. He owes nothing to the organization. Yes, he signed with the Marlies but they reached out to him, and wanted his services. The same way any other team does with a free agent. I hope he signs with the Leafs this offseason but he has the freedom to do whatever he wants.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
LOL at all the anger.

He's FA, if he wants to play for Eakins in EDM then good luck to him.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
********, it's a case where someone has no connection whatsoever and make a rumour that make some sense and hope he's right so he can claim he has sources.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
No offense man, but statements like this is why the NHL and sports as a whole needs to continually battle public misconceptions about mental health. Ranger has given absolutely ZERO indications that he would EVER be a distraction. In fact, it's fairly obvious to me that if he made a return to the NHL, the players around him would be nothing but thrilled to have him back.

Well said.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
No offense man, but statements like this is why the NHL and sports as a whole needs to continually battle public misconceptions about mental health. Ranger has given absolutely ZERO indications that he would EVER be a distraction. In fact, it's fairly obvious to me that if he made a return to the NHL, the players around him would be nothing but thrilled to have him back.

First of all, we really know nothing about Ranger's "personal" reasons for leaving the NHL. The common thinking is that he has some sort of anxiety disorder, or a similar mental health affliction. In either case, it's an INTERNAL, PERSONAL issue that affects Ranger and Ranger alone. This is not a personality issue like Evander Kane has displayed. Ranger does not suffer from self-important delusions, nor has anything been said about him having a negative attitude on the ice. It's simply something Ranger deals with when he leaves the ice and goes about his normal life.

The quote above is the exact opposite of progressive "2013" mentality. We shouldn't be stigmatizing somebody for anything other than his on-ice and in-lockeroom behaviour. Ranger's problems don't affect his team performance. It simply affects him behind closed doors.

We shouldn't be stigmatizing somebody for anything other than his on-ice and in-lockeroom behaviour. Ranger's problems don't affect his team performance. It simply affects him behind closed doors

Are you telling me that if the leafs invested time/money and the #3 spot on Ranger (or on anybody for that matter), and he suddenly just walked because of personal reasons, that this isn't going to harm the team?

Have to laugh at the mental disorder police on sports boards, take the blinders off, and maybe you will note that anytime an important piece to a roster goes down with injury, or a mental disorder, that no matter what his personality is....IT IS going to harm the team.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Well said.

Well said?

Lets be hypothetical: If Lupul just got up and walked away in the middle of next season for "personal reasons", your saying that it will just go unnoticed among fans and especially media?

Are you saying that it isn't going to throw a big fat stick into the spokes of our GM, and our teammates, who expected to have a #1 LW on their roster?

Love how people are getting so defensive over the mental disorders, you guys have blinders on, and are ignoring what people are actually writing, and are only reading what you want to read. This isn't about the "mental disorder" and the personal relationship with his teammates. It's about the effects on the on teams success, and on ice product, if a player playing an important role just walked from the team in the middle of the season.

Again, mental disorder or career ending injury..... it'll be a distraction, and a hit to the team's success going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad