Edmonton..looks bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Still think they make the playoffs.

That was my position a week ago, but I feel far less confident today. Only 4 of their 13 games have been on the road, and they not had any back-to-backs yet. It looks like the easiest part of their schedule is over and they don't have much to show for it.

If a month ago someone told me that the Oilers would be 2nd last in the league 13 games in, while Vegas would be top 10, I would have considered them a crazy person.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
At what point does TMac get fired? It's not really his fault, nor is it fair, but I feel some kind of shake up is needed. Or will they just let this season go to waste and get another draft pick and try again next year?

Its not a coaching problem, its a depth and speed problem, and Talbot isn't as good as he was last year when he was bailing out the Oilers D.

Plus even if the Oilers wanted to fire TMac, I doubt that they would want to, they've been a coach killing carousal since Pat Quinn left with 5 head coaches since 2010, most seasoned NHL coaches wouldn't go there if they let TMac go.

Unless the Oilers are looking at another run with Mac-T as the head coach.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
That was my position a week ago, but I feel far less confident today. Only 4 of their 13 games have been on the road, and they not had any back-to-backs yet. It looks like the easiest part of their schedule is over and they don't have much to show for it.
yeah although their play has for the most part been good, after a certain point the hole might be too deep

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
yeah although their play has for the most part been good, after a certain point the hole might be too deep

I agree. I thought the Oilers were the better team in at least 2 of the 3 games I have watched them play this year. The final score did not reflect that and it is part of the reason why a week ago I felt they were still easily going to make the playoffs. But the hole is getting deep.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Unfortunately the teams overall play being for the most part good is just more moral victories. Yes their overall game has been fine, but when players constantly miss wide open nets or make every goalie they face look like vezina contenders its time to start thinking that maybe the players just aren't good enough or the team isn't assembled correctly. Its great that they can create all of these great scoring chances, but if they can't start burying them then it really won't matter.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Oilers need an offensive defenceman. Also Lucic looks very slow. McDavid looks good though. There's always McDavid

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Edmonton doesn't hsve the defending depth currently. Plus they are finding out why many in Boston wanted Lucic gone. Hes got good hands and grit but he is big and slow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Fredrik_71

Dec 24, 2007
Sweden
I would definitely say that this is a coaching problem. One man rushes with no support, McDavid taking on 3 defenders at a time and looses the puck, the whole team out of sync, plenty of speed but no plan etc. Edmonton needs to get back to basics. If they continue this they will be handled exactly like Detroit did playing patient and waiting for mistakes.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
I don’t know why he’s a horrible GM? Look at the team he built it Boston.. He has a ring and had a legitimate shot at a couple more? That was a very good Boston Bruin team for several years. He isn’t finished in Edmonton yet.

The Eberle for Strome looks rough. I’m not a huge Strome fan so I’d agree, you would have liked to see him fill that hole a little better.. He still might.

Depends how much credit you give him for the 2011 Cup win. He obviously didnt draft Bergeron or sign Tim Thomas. He obviously signed Chara but how many GMs wouldn't have done that? He was the top free agent in 2006.

Maybe horrible is too harsh but it seems he's usually on the losing end of trade. He doesnt know to probably value players. I think he does more harm than good.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
There's zero issue with McDavid as captain. Sounds more like people who had egg on their face last season are just looking to get their digs in now.

A Ducks fan accusing another team of "cheap antics". O_O

May I ask what the Oilers did that was so cheap?
Pushed kesler into tbe crease and tried to pin him down to keep him out of the play... luckily karma got em back

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Pushed kesler into tbe crease and tried to pin him down to keep him out of the play... luckily karma got em back

lol. The same dbag who literally tried to elbow Mcdavid off a faceoff the last game of the season?

Oh that is hilarious.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Was working on the gdt for isles and oilers playing Tuesday. I was shocked to see the lack of scoring on the team besides RNH and McDavid. I'm sure they will turn it around sooner then later.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Edmonton doesn't hsve the defending depth currently. Plus they are finding out why many in Boston wanted Lucic gone. Hes got good hands and grit but he is big and slow.

Defensive depth has actually been their strong point.

Nurse has been lights out and they have a couple of bottom pairing guys(Gryba and Auvitu) with a CF% over 60.

Special teams and secondary scoring has been the real issue.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Oilers honestly haven't played that poor. Their goaltending has been subpar and it seems the few chances teams get are capitalising on. Last night Edmonton had 3 posts and zero puck luck. A loss is a loss though and they desperately need secondary scoring. I believe they will start clicking. It has to they are too good.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
If this ****in team gets Dahlin I'm going to burn down Edmonton and force them to relocate.
time-lapse-4

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
not sure but our offense is better than 2nd last in the league, so there's that. How on earth does a team with McDavid and Draisaitl have the 2nd worst offense in the league?

Not when you put all your eggs in one basket (McD & Drai); teams just focus on one line and the opposition depth takes care of the rest.

Also McLellan benched MacD last game...is that a smart move? The coach is need to go with the GM; but most Oil fans are in denial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad