Edmonton Hype

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
If Edmonton can step it up a little as a team they will be really gard one to beat. For anyone.
Good team play with Jesus and Drai... That is something to Fear.

Though. I think their defence will fail.
I expect every team to step up to some degree, its the playoffs. I just think there is a limit to what Alex Chaisson, Ethan Bear, Dominic Kahun, Adam Larsson, Kyler Yamamoto etc... can do. Those names are not players in role playing positions. Those are top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen for them. The can win a series with McDrai alone. They cannot win the cup without depth.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I'm not too concerned about Edmonton, they're basically a poor man's version of us. They might have the two highest scoring players, but our top-six as a whole is better. Additionally, our bottom-six and defense are better. Goaltending is unpredictable, but we have three options if push comes to shove, where as Smith is their ride or die and prone to temper tantrums.

Winnipeg or Montreal has a better shot at upsetting us IMO. Edmonton doesn't really bring anything to the table that we can't trump.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Hey guys,

Been looking through the news and noticing all the hype surround the Edmonton oilers (Sportsnet, TSN, etc) what do you think? They seem to be selling the Leafs short with the “juggernaut” that is Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl (literally that’s it) and I don’t even know how to take it seeing as we are the “media darlings” out of Toronto

Thoughts?
It's not the "Edmonton Hype". It's the "Anyone But The Leafs Hype". This year, it's gone from Montreal to Edmonton to Winnipeg and then back to Edmonton. Since the major media companies own a piece of the Leafs, they work overtime to avoid accusations of bias towards the Leafs, so there will always be a team they're hyping.

Reactions: CincoHolio

kb

Aug 28, 2009
So every week it's always a new "The Leafs have to look out for team 'xxx'" when in actual fact there is not a team in the league that wants to play us in a 4 out of 7 right now.

Mar 26, 2010
Draisaitl is the most overrated player in the NHL. He just rides the coattails of McDavid. If you took him off the team of McDavid he would fade away to nothing.

Toronto will kick Edmonton’s asses in a playoff series, I really hope that we play them.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Hey guys,

Been looking through the news and noticing all the hype surround the Edmonton oilers (Sportsnet, TSN, etc) what do you think? They seem to be selling the Leafs short with the “juggernaut” that is Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl (literally that’s it) and I don’t even know how to take it seeing as we are the “media darlings” out of Toronto

Thoughts?
Edmonton isnt even favored over Winnipeg to get out of the division

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
McDavid is an animal. The guy is closing in on a possible 100 point season while leaving Draisaitl in his dust. I think he deserves every little bit of hype and media attention he's been getting. Oilers are getting media attention because of McDavid. I don't think they're getting attention because of their "success", but more of a passive light reflected past all the shine McDavid is getting.

McDavid in the playoffs will be very tough to contain, as will Drai and possibly RNH. Smith always plays us extremely tough and should we face that team in the 2nd round, I fully expect a close matchup that can honestly go either way. With that said, I'm not scared of the Oilers or the Jets or the Habs at this point. We need to focus on us and not worry about who's getting all the media hype.

As we've known from past experiences, the Toronto media/ Canadian media is toxic and will build up storylines to pump their own tires. We need to go out there and handle our business.

Reactions: Cams

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Edmonton isnt even favored over Winnipeg to get out of the division

Right now Winnipeg is in no way favored over the Oilers. They've got absolutely spanked and Helle looks more like Vesa Toskala than a reigning Vezina trophy winner. Their team defense is too crappy to hold McDavid off and when McDavid is burning you for close to 3 points a game, you need to score 4 goals on Mike Smith to win. Not a good recipe for success.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
They are not a good team. I think the Montreal series will be harder for the Leafs than the eventual Oilers one.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Head 2 Head

Matthews: 6gms, 68gl/82pt pace
McDavid: 9gms, 27gl/91pt pace

Marner: 9gms, 27gl/100pt pace
Draisaitl: 9gms, 46gl/100pt pace

Tavares: 9gms, 27gl/82pt pace
Hopkins: 9gms, 9gl/36pt pace

Nylander: 9gms, 55gl/91pt pace
Yamamoto: 9gms, 9gl/18pt pace

Hyman: 9gms, 36gl/64pt pace
Puljujarvi: 9gms, 0gl/9pt pace

Rielly 9gms, 9gl/46pt pace
Barrie 9gms, 9gl/46pt pace

Nurse 9gms, 18gl/36pt pace
Brodie 9gms, 0gl/46pt pace

Reactions: Confucius

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Yep the Oilers and their 12th best pts% (built on savaging the sens) seem to be the clear favorite over the leafs and their elite top-5 pts%, gf%, and xgf%.
I like the underdog roll, We shall overcome the odds and knock them off.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I think this is reading more into it than what is really there. McDavid is closing in on 100 pts in a very shortened and that is something that should be talked about. It's not being disrespectful to the Leafs or discrediting them. To think that that is the case to me is just almost like looking for something to be offended about or being nitpicky about finding something to show that the Leafs are not a favourite or are being slighted by the "media".

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Ironically the Oilers are by far my preferred playoff opponent for the Leafs.

The media will do whatever they can to hype up the Canada vs Canada matchups beacuse they're going to be a ratings gold mine

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
McDavid is having one of the best offensive seasons in recent memory. They're hyping him because he's putting up truly exceptional performances. If Matthews had both stayed healthy and didn't have that ~5 game span where he straight up wouldn't shoot the puck because of his wrist, and was still sniffing 50 in 50 like his pace over the rest of the season, they'd be blasting the airwaves with him too, and deservedly so. They're far from a flawless team, but Edmonton will go as far as McDavid can carry them, and that might be quite far.

Don't be a sourpuss, the inferiority complex ring doesn't need any more hats in it.

Reactions: nsleaf

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Great to haveEdmonton media Hype! It’s setting the story line for hopefully an Edmonton vs Toronto 2nd round.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Media cycle this season has been:

Montreal is the greatest --> Edmonton is the greatest --> Winnipeg is actually the greatest --> Leafs lost a few games but never dropped out of 1st, they suck --> Edmonton is the greatest again

I think the main point is, the media desperately wants to create some sort of rivalry/anything can happen vibe in the North division which means pumping up the tires of whoever is closest to the Leafs at any point.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Media cycle this season has been:

Montreal is the greatest --> Edmonton is the greatest --> Winnipeg is actually the greatest --> Leafs lost a few games but never dropped out of 1st, they suck --> Edmonton is the greatest again

I think the main point is, the media desperately wants to create some sort of rivalry/anything can happen vibe in the North division which means pumping up the tires of whoever is closest to the Leafs at any point.

its ironic that the American media views the Leafs as favorites to win the cup

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
It's not the "Edmonton Hype". It's the "Anyone But The Leafs Hype". This year, it's gone from Montreal to Edmonton to Winnipeg and then back to Edmonton. Since the major media companies own a piece of the Leafs, they work overtime to avoid accusations of bias towards the Leafs, so there will always be a team they're hyping.

Came here to say exactly this. :thumbu:

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
McDavid is unbelievable and deserves every bit of hype he's getting.

The Oilers on the other hand?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I'd say generally speaking you see a lot more rational takes from US hockey journalists on Canadian teams

Yeah outside of a few markets (looking at you Boston media) American hockey media when it comes to the Canadian teams have a better grip on reality than many up here. There isn't any baggage with media corporations or members who try to be impartial to an absurd degree with regards to Leafs coverage (see how we have no dedicated regional broadcast team) and there's no media members who grew up hating the Leafs and Leafs coverage and take it out on them now that they're in position to do so (Jim Hughson play calling).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad