Edmonton Hype

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Hey guys,

Been looking through the news and noticing all the hype surround the Edmonton oilers (Sportsnet, TSN, etc) what do you think? They seem to be selling the Leafs short with the “juggernaut” that is Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl (literally that’s it) and I don’t even know how to take it seeing as we are the “media darlings” out of Toronto

Thoughts?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Yeah, I haven’t heard anything about the Oilers. Nor do I care to.

Jets are the scarier opponent in the coming playoffs, we only have to worry about playing even with McDrai for 25 min while eating up the fodder that makes up the rest of their roster for the rest of the game with the Oilers

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Not a fan of this thread. I'd rather give Edmonton the exact amount of our attention that they deserve which is 0%. Nobody cares about the Oilers outside of Edmonton.

Luckily for me I don’t create the few threads I do with the thought of how much people will care about it in mind lol ;) just an interesting thing I’ve been seeing in the Media recently lol

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I think Edmonton fans are complaining about the hype surrounding the Leafs right now.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
They have to say something to pick up the spirits of hockey fans west of the Peg. Edmonton is their shining beacon of hope.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Hey guys,

Been looking through the news and noticing all the hype surround the Edmonton oilers (Sportsnet, TSN, etc) what do you think? They seem to be selling the Leafs short with the “juggernaut” that is Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl (literally that’s it) and I don’t even know how to take it seeing as we are the “media darlings” out of Toronto

Thoughts?

The only way the Oilers make it to the Final Four is if they receive an imbalance of PP opportunities. If I am their opposition in the playoffs I'm reaching out to the league to make sure they understand this "concern", if you will.

I think they are overrated in the back end and not as deep up front as the Leafs and Jets are.

As an additional point, I've also learned that their fans might be the worst in the country. Calgary fans are far more objective and fair, even Hab fans aren't as vicious as the Oiler fans. They are almost whiny, as if because they have the most dynamic player in the game, they should be bestowed a ring.

We will see how it goes, anything is possible, but If I could choose a team for the Leafs to play in the first round, I would choose the Oilers. I repeat for effect, unless they have the PP imbalance in their favour, they won't win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmo89

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
Yeah sometimes it's annoying to be watching a game as a Leafs fan and have the homers talking about McDavid this, McDavid that... But I guess fans of other teams probably feel the same way about having Matthews and his goals shoved down their throat all the time.

Reactions: WillyNy

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hey guys,

Thoughts?

Yep the Oilers and their 12th best pts% (built on savaging the sens) seem to be the clear favorite over the leafs and their elite top-5 pts%, gf%, and xgf%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Twine Tickler

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Hey guys,

Thoughts?

Discussions about other teams belong in the around the league thread or on the main board.

Reactions: napoleon in rags

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Edmonton has the best player to play in the NHL in over 20 years in McDavid and they have another top-5 NHL player, arguably higher, in Leon Draisatl. I try not to overlook Leon and all that he has accomplished because he truly is exceptional. I just can't help but believe he would be closer to a top 10-15 player in the NHL if he didn't play alongside McDavid. I recognize they don't play on the same line often, but they share the ice more than Oilers fans would like to admit. Exceptional player, and has the ability to beat anyone in the league 1 on 1. I just don't see generational. His stats show otherwise, and I respect if people disagree. I just cannot overlook the McDavid factor there. He just complements McDavid so damn well.

All that said, if you shut those 2 down, or even contain them to 2 goals or under, we have a very good chance at winning. I think the Leafs have been the only team that has been able to contain them in a given game all year. They have certainly had their nights against us as well, so it really could go either way. I believe in EDM's hype against WPG for sure. They will absolutely torch the WPG trash bucket defense. I think with the playoff structure being more 5v5 will work against the Oil for sure. Although if you talk to any of their fans that shouldn't make a difference because the "NeVeR GeT AnY CaLLs"...despite ranking 6th in PP opportunities/60 mins.

will be very interesting if we end up meeting them. I've said it many times though, the Leafs are the best team in the division in all aspects. If all teams in the division play to their potential, Leafs walk into the final 4

Reactions: LeafGrief

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
We shut them two down for 3 games one time. I think we could do it again. Refs just love giving them powerplays when they need it like last night. Calgary done a nice job eliminating seems and keeping them to the outside.

They feed off the powerplay. Don’t take penalties and basically don’t even hit them or a ref is calling it. They aren’t any more dynamic than Matthews/Marner at even strength. Matthews/ Marner are better defensively.

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
fdd4f2ee72ce22758a4fa2d699273fe6.gif

Reactions: Cleetus and nobody

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Edmonton has the best player to play in the NHL in over 20 years in McDavid and they have another top-5 NHL player, arguably higher, in Leon Draisatl. I try not to overlook Leon and all that he has accomplished because he truly is exceptional. I just can't help but believe he would be closer to a top 10-15 player in the NHL if he didn't play alongside McDavid. I recognize they don't play on the same line often, but they share the ice more than Oilers fans would like to admit. Exceptional player, and has the ability to beat anyone in the league 1 on 1. I just don't see generational. His stats show otherwise, and I respect if people disagree. I just cannot overlook the McDavid factor there. He just complements McDavid so damn well.

All that said, if you shut those 2 down, or even contain them to 2 goals or under, we have a very good chance at winning. I think the Leafs have been the only team that has been able to contain them in a given game all year. They have certainly had their nights against us as well, so it really could go either way. I believe in EDM's hype against WPG for sure. They will absolutely torch the WPG trash bucket defense. I think with the playoff structure being more 5v5 will work against the Oil for sure. Although if you talk to any of their fans that shouldn't make a difference because the "NeVeR GeT AnY CaLLs"...despite ranking 6th in PP opportunities/60 mins.

will be very interesting if we end up meeting them. I've said it many times though, the Leafs are the best team in the division in all aspects. If all teams in the division play to their potential, Leafs walk into the final 4

I honestly think if we meet the Oil in the playoffs we will dismantle them. We are deeper, more structured, and actually have a good defense, hence why we always beat them.

The teams they dominate usually have zero defense, and it sucks because other posters assume because of Mcdrai racking up a million points that the division plays no defense.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I honestly think if we meet the Oil in the playoffs we will dismantle them. We are deeper, more structured, and actually have a good defense, hence why we always beat them.

The teams they dominate usually have zero defense, and it sucks because other posters assume because of Mcdrai racking up a million points that the division plays no defense.

McDavid:
Season - 84 pts in 48 games = 1.75Pts/game

vs. Leafs - 10 pts in 9 games = 1.11Pts/game

vs. North w/ exception to leafs - 74pts in 39 games (LOL ridiculous) = 1.9pts/game

To some degree we have "contained" McDavid. At least off of his stupid ridiculous statistical average. Guy is absolutely phenomenal though. Nothing he does surprises me at this point. And that would not be limited to beating us single handedly 4 times in a 7 game series. Will be an absolute treat to watch a Leafs and Oilers series. The amount of superstar talent on the ice would be remarkable

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
McDavid:
Season - 84 pts in 48 games = 1.75Pts/game

vs. Leafs - 10 pts in 9 games = 1.11Pts/game

vs. North w/ exception to leafs - 74pts in 39 games (LOL ridiculous) = 1.9pts/game

To some degree we have "contained" McDavid. At least off of his stupid ridiculous statistical average. Guy is absolutely phenomenal though. Nothing he does surprises me at this point. And that would not be limited to beating us single handedly 4 times in a 7 game series. Will be an absolute treat to watch a Leafs and Oilers series. The amount of superstar talent on the ice would be remarkable

Oh for sure! I am one of the biggest McDavid fans around. Of course I still shit talk the Oil and want to beat him lol but he is an incredible talent.

The amount of talent on the ice would be amazing but I still think we take them in 5 games.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
If Edmonton can step it up a little as a team they will be really gard one to beat. For anyone.
Good team play with Jesus and Drai... That is something to Fear.

Though. I think their defence will fail.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Oh for sure! I am one of the biggest McDavid fans around. Of course I still shit talk the Oil and want to beat him lol but he is an incredible talent.

The amount of talent on the ice would be amazing but I still think we take them in 5 games.
yup for sure. There is no doubt what team is better. Its really not even close. But there also is no doubt what team has the bigger game breakers IMO. Yes mitch and Auston can torch the Oil, I just don't know if they can outscore McDrai in a given game if they do happen to go off. All n all, Biases aside, the Leafs should win. But we should have won a couple series by now as well. Shit just seem to happen to us

Reactions: TopChedder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad