Edmonton Hype

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews is the one of, if not the best pure goal scorer of this generation. In five seasons, Matthews has 194 goals in 328 games played. The only player to score more goals in that timeframe is Ovechkin. No other player has more even strength goals than Matthews,

Marner is top eight for most assists in the NHL over the last five seasons.

Edmonton doesn't even come close to being as good of as Toronto. See the season series for details on how well they match up against one another.

Edmonton is a middle of the pack NHL team, nothing more.

They swept Ottawa in the season series, but are .500 against the other five Canadian teams combined.

What's to hype? McDavid will always get hype, but as a team, the Oilers are very weak.

Reactions: WilyStyless03SHYla

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Matthews is the one of, if not the best pure goal scorer of this generation. In five seasons, Matthews has 194 goals in 328 games played. The only player to score more goals in that timeframe is Ovechkin. No other player has more even strength goals than Matthews,

Marner is top eight for most assists in the NHL over the last five seasons.

Edmonton doesn't even come close to being as good of as Toronto. See the season series for details on how well they match up against one another.

Edmonton is a middle of the pack NHL team, nothing more.

They swept Ottawa in the season series, but are .500 against the other five Canadian teams combined.

What's to hype? McDavid will always get hype, but as a team, the Oilers are very weak.

Without McDavid in the line up they compete for a lottery pick. Their PP drops 0ver 14%. The Leafs actually have a team that can win when Mathews is out. I think we are 10 games over 500. I fear the Jets a lot more than the Oilers simply because they have Hellebuyck, and a multiple lines that can score.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Without McDavid in the line up they compete for a lottery pick. Their PP drops 0ver 14%. The Leafs actually have a team that can win when Mathews is out. I think we are 10 games over 500. I fear the Jets a lot more than the Oilers simply because they have Hellebuyck, and a multiple lines that can score.
Without Mathews we are 2nd last in goals scored in our division and Vancouver who is last still has 6 games in hand.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Without Mathews we are 2nd last in goals scored in our division and Vancouver who is last still has 6 games in hand.

You simply can't minus his goals and assume the team will not adjust. The Leafs are 23-13-2 without Mathews in the lineup. The Leafs have enough talent to still win. The Oilers... not so much.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

Well every team has their sniper, Leafs just happen to have the best in the game right now.

If it wasn't Matthews it would be another number one centre logging big minutes. All parameters being equal, you could still expect some reasonable production. Not 36 goals, but some output near the mean.

Consider if Tavares were to bump up, he did score 47 goals with Marner at least a part-time winger if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terrible GM

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Sure but:
Remove horvat or pedersen from the canucks and they drop
Remove Gaudreau from the flames and they drop
Remove Anderson or toffoli from the Canadians and they drop
Batherson or Brown from the senators and they drop
Mcdrai from the oilers and they crater
Scheiffele or ehlers from the Jets and they drop

This really isn’t an argument aside from best players being the best for a reason

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Sure but:
Remove horvat or pedersen from the canucks and they drop
Remove Gaudreau from the flames and they drop
Remove Anderson or toffoli from the Canadians and they drop
Batherson or Brown from the senators and they drop
Mcdrai from the oilers and they crater
Scheiffele or ehlers from the Jets and they drop

This really isn’t an argument aside from best players being the best for a reason
But would they drop as far? That is the question, do the oilers drop more without McDavid than the Leafs do without Mathews. I say it's pretty even.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So every week it's always a new "The Leafs have to look out for team 'xxx'" when in actual fact there is not a team in the league that wants to play us in a 4 out of 7 right now.

Look out for that team whose top pair dman was on our bottom pair last year.

Reactions: WilyStyless03SHYla

WilyStyless03SHYla

aimiriteee
Apr 26, 2021
It would be a very physical war type playoff series and totally epic, but I would be surprised if the oilers win more than 2 games

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Call me crazy, but I think Edmonton is the "easiest" of the 3 other playoff teams for the Leafs.

Yes, they have the best player in the world; but we've proven that we can shut him down. The Oilers succeed by trying to play free-flowing hockey, Toronto can "run & gun" with them and has better depth, but also has the ability to slow the game down and play tighter-checking, which is typically what happens in the playoffs.

The Leafs may not have the "structural instincts" of a team like Montreal; but they do have very good structure, and a really solid D -- much moreso than the Oilers. The chances of Mike Smith or Mikko Koskinen stealing the series are in my opinion, are less than Jack Campbell or Freddy Andersen doing that.

Montreal has incredible structure - the games have all been close this year. I'd bet on Carey Price to steal a series before I'd bet on Campbell or Andersen to do it. Winnipeg is stumbling right now, but they've got a really good top 6 that will likely sit back against our guys, and have Hellebuyck.

great

Apr 14, 2018
Who cares who gets the hype, it's who wins that matters. In the end hype is just that hype.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->