Eklund Rumor: Edmonton Has Made Best Offer to date for EK65

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I honestly don't see the fit. Both are best carrying the puck. Now it would be awesome to have a high-rate of controlled zone entry with them both lugging it through the neutral zone on alternating shifts... but on the ice together? I don't see the complementarity/synergy.

Can you imagine if McDavid had a play like Karlsson feeding him the puck? You are right Karlsson is amazing at carrying the puck, but part of the reason he does so in OTT is because they don't have anyone even close to being as effective as him carrying the puck.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
I don't think Lucic at 50% works, an extra 3mil against our cap is crippling.

I would do something around
10th
2019 first
Klefbom/ Nurse
Yamo/ Pulj

But Karlsson would need to be extended for this.
I know karlsson is elite and then some but wow, that’s a lot. If that was to happen I hope he returns to his former self

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
But more cap opens up after next year, and even more the year after, with plenty of cap controlled prospects ready to step up from the Marlies, and the cap rising year after year.

Leafs fitting Tavares isn’t hard. Leafs fitting Tavares+signing a guy like Carlsson is where you need to start getting creative.
It would be pretty difficult to be paying over 35M for Matthews, Tavares, Marner and Nylander. I'll believe it when I see it and I sincerely doubt Tavares will be a Leaf.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
I just can't ever see this happening. EK is going to want well over 10+ million after this season. Unless Ottawa is willing to let him go on the cheap and Edmonton rents him for a year i don't see how they'll get him in under the cap. Even if they do get him under does Edmonton want approx 30+ million dollars locked up in 3 players? i mean those are 3 absolute studs to build around but it would be tough.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I just can't ever see this happening. EK is going to want well over 10+ million after this season. Unless Ottawa is willing to let him go on the cheap and Edmonton rents him for a year i don't see how they'll get him in under the cap. Even if they do get him under does Edmonton want approx 30+ million dollars locked up in 3 players? i mean those are 3 absolute studs to build around but it would be tough.
It would be tough and we would need to find a way to move out some bad contracts - Lucic would have to go for sure, possibly Sekera, but he has a NTC.

Noel May

Jun 20, 2018
Return to former self? 62 in 71 as a D-man on that dismal Senators team is still damn good. He is a top 10 player in league and I'd argue top 5

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Oh come on, give the guy a little credit. It'll be one for one.
Lol he is dealing with Dorion dont worry even Chiarelli will be able to swindle him.

Last time we thought a GM was terrible at trading he ripped Dorion off big time (Benning).

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The last time the Oilers had a really good defenseman was Pronger. That is mind boggling.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Dude Byfuglien Trouba and Morrissey are better than anyone on the Oilers for the last 10 years. Disagree with evidence?
So that makes them "really good" defenseman? I also disagree with Morrissey.

You used Pronger as the example, Jets obviously have never had anyone that good. Heck, the Jets haven't had a #1 D man since they have been back either.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Dude Byfuglien Trouba and Morrissey are better than anyone on the Oilers for the last 10 years. Disagree with evidence?
Lubo Visnovsky, pre-injury Ryan Whitney, Joni Pitkanen, Sheldon Souray were all better than Trouba and Morrissey. And Adam Larsson is a better defender than any of the players listed, though not an offensive guy.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's hard to say what this offer could really be, if true.

Karlsson is an elite player, but in cases like this where an elite player has either requested a trade or it's basically come to that, the value goes down. They will still get a lot, but more like a haul of lesser assets. So, it's not like Draisaitl would be included, but players like RNH, Klefbom or Nurse could be. Any prospect could go, and any picks. Of those assets, just add them together until the right value is hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad