Edmonton Football Team 2020 v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Edmonton Explorers.

I'm not even serious but its a lot better than some of the names selected and Edmonton was a key point, and location of Fort that helped open up the western exploration, northern exploration, and building of this land. Also situated on the famous yellowhead route which leads to the famous yellowhead pass.

Explorers is a name that Edmonton could easily lay claim to, much moreso than Klondike, even though we had outfitter connections with that and some prospectors coming through as well.

Its not an awful name. not really sports oriented, not animal oriented like so many names, but that might make it more interesting.

Explorers actually would be a decent name. David Thompson, Hudson's Bay fur trade, Fort Edmonton...quite relevant actually. But how on earth could the SJW crowd let them get away with that? Explorers were white men who invaded this land and subjugated the existing population, or so we'll be told.

This organization blew it completely, and likely knows this. Could have just ignored the flash mob knowing that there wasn't going to be a season anyway. Instead, they decided to show everyone just how woke they were, faced backlash from their existing fan base that even they probably under-estimated, panicked and told them they'd keep the EE logo and colour scheme as a weak attempt at smoothing things over, and are now destined to have a name that's either some completely stupid new age type name (Energy, Edge, or something else that a 12 year old's soccer team would call themselves), or something completely benign like Eagles that everyone just finds boring.

The only option they have that doesn't see them demoted in the CFL pecking order to an uninfluential and unimportant franchise is re-asserting their strength and telling everyone that the Eskimos are back. But likely they're content to walk into CFL executive meetings with the same swagger and clout as the Ottawa Redblacks and be laughed at by teams like the Riders and Bombers.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
That's pretty much where I am at now. EE is and forever will be the Edmonton Eskimos. Since the organization succumbed to the pressure from the SJW's, just move on from it, and stop trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Going away from EE will at least give them a fresh start in some eyes, and won't have people forever equating it to the Eskimos.

Which eyes would you be talking about?

Those that praise such a move are the same class that wanted Eskimos to be gone. Given their composition, they don't care about sports or their community as a whole. They praise the likes of Belair Insurance for its stance, but they are quiet when the same company decides to leave policy holders in the lurch (as is the case in BC, as they will be withdrawing from auto insurance there).

Its quite clear that the name change has hurt them a lot more than anyone is willing to admit. The team went under 30k/game for attendance in the last season played. COVID hits during the controversy and the cancelled season has pretty much bled them dry. Now, they had to spend money changing the name on everything knowing they will still be getting a net loss.

If they want to get away from tis whole mess, it would've been better to fold the franchise.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Explorers actually would be a decent name. David Thompson, Hudson's Bay fur trade, Fort Edmonton...quite relevant actually. But how on earth could the SJW crowd let them get away with that? Explorers were white men who invaded this land and subjugated the existing population, or so we'll be told.

This organization blew it completely, and likely knows this. Could have just ignored the flash mob knowing that there wasn't going to be a season anyway. Instead, they decided to show everyone just how woke they were, faced backlash from their existing fan base that even they probably under-estimated, panicked and told them they'd keep the EE logo and colour scheme as a weak attempt at smoothing things over, and are now destined to have a name that's either some completely stupid new age type name (Energy, Edge, or something else that a 12 year old's soccer team would call themselves), or something completely benign like Eagles that everyone just finds boring.

The only option they have that doesn't see them demoted in the CFL pecking order to an uninfluential and unimportant franchise is re-asserting their strength and telling everyone that the Eskimos are back. But likely they're content to walk into CFL executive meetings with the same swagger and clout as the Ottawa Redblacks and be laughed at by teams like the Riders and Bombers.

Yep, 2nd impression I like the name more now, but you're right in the bolded, I didn't give that enough thought, and the name wouldn't be allowed to fly now. What are people like David Thompson or Simon Fraser referred to now. They are always called explorers, Thompson was interchangeably called mapmaker. What term now?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Which eyes would you be talking about?

Those that praise such a move are the same class that wanted Eskimos to be gone. Given their composition, they don't care about sports or their community as a whole. They praise the likes of Belair Insurance for its stance, but they are quiet when the same company decides to leave policy holders in the lurch (as is the case in BC, as they will be withdrawing from auto insurance there).

Its quite clear that the name change has hurt them a lot more than anyone is willing to admit. The team went under 30k/game for attendance in the last season played. COVID hits during the controversy and the cancelled season has pretty much bled them dry. Now, they had to spend money changing the name on everything knowing they will still be getting a net loss.

If they want to get away from tis whole mess, it would've been better to fold the franchise.

I definitely don't care about the SJW's who aren't sports fans, but spend their time reviewing the latest copy of Protest Weekly. More the segment of fans who are still pissed off, but will always equate EE with the Eskimos. Given some time, maybe a lot of time, some of those fans may eventually be supportive (grudgingly) of a brand new name and symbol that doesn't bring up the image of the Eskimos every time they see it. Personally I don't want the club to ever use EE again, because they have ruined that symbol for me, as I've identified with it for over 50 years as the Eskimos.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, as an earth science geek I don't mind the name "Explorers" and it is reminiscent of the early explorers that mapped this area.

Fun fact-- the RCMP did not establish a permanent fort in Calgary until 1875.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Explorers, huh? hmmmm. Yes, David Thompson, Anthony Henday. they could try to invoke Stan Rogers's Northwest Passage in there somehow (they could use Unleash the Archers' version, a power metal band from Victoria). Edmonton is the gateway to the Klondike, not the Northwest Passage, but....

I like it.

Reactions: yukoner88

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
looks like I came up with a half decent, but obvious name. 4 people liking it here so far.

Edmonton Explorers.

Would there really be outcry over such a name?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I just hope that at the first home game the fans chant 'Go Esks Go' all game, and sing the fight song with gusto.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I just hope that at the first home game the fans chant 'Go Esks Go' all game, and sing the fight song with gusto.
I suspect that will happen quickly and often. And you won't hear a peep out of anyone in dissent, as there will be no SJW's or snowflakes there. They will have long since moved on to other important cancellation projects.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I suspect that will happen quickly and often. And you won't hear a peep out of anyone in dissent, as there will be no SJW's or snowflakes there. They will have long since moved on to other important cancellation projects.

The CFL is considered a small target on the cancel mob's agenda. It's already "mission accomplished" for the Eskimo franchise and the fact that the CFL might be finished as an entity is considered a TD with a successful two point convert.

The big "prizes" are the NHL, MLB and of course the biggest target of all --the NFL. The heat is on big time but one league, the NBA, is exempt from all criticism.

That's because Adam Silver and Lebron James already have the NBA in a permanent "how dare you" lockdown. Speak out against the SJWs there and Silver makes sure that you take the exit ramp.

Its also moving on to the college ranks now. Vanderbilt has a lady kicker who can't boot it further than 20 yards but her appearance is a cause for mass media celebration.

I certainly don't mind if female athletes make it in any men's league but the fact that Vanderbilt is a terrible club and got blown out 40-zip in the last game seemed to be lost in the euphoria. Apparently she cussed the team out at half time for being unenthusiastic.

In response, many of the Vanderbilt players refused to play this week but the game's cancellation was dismissed as "virus related".

Well, the games go on but they have nothing to do with entertainment on the field.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Everybody should party in a parka in their "Eskimo" ice fishing huts.. we could tailgate that way. I'll bring the "Eskimo" brand cooler with the Eskimo brand frozen treats in there.

eskimoicefishingshelters.png

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
We might just want to go off the board and name them the "Edmonton Werewolves" or something like that.

That way half of this whacked out SJW cast will show up at Commonwealth to see if there really is such a thing.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
McCarty proud 'if I can go out as the Last of the Mohicans' in Edmonton

McCarty proud 'if I can go out as the Last of the Mohicans' in Edmonton | Edmonton Sun

Yup, that comment should go over real well with the snowflake cancel crowd. And it's incredibly included in the article written by that piece of shyte, Gerry Moddejunk.
McCarty (who I really like and respect, by the way), will probably be given more rope than you or I, as he is black, so I expect them to give him a couple days head start before they run him out of town.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
McCarty proud 'if I can go out as the Last of the Mohicans' in Edmonton

McCarty proud 'if I can go out as the Last of the Mohicans' in Edmonton | Edmonton Sun

Yup, that comment should go over real well with the snowflake cancel crowd. And it's incredibly included in the article written by that piece of shyte, Gerry Moddejunk.
McCarty (who I really like and respect, by the way), will probably be given more rope than you or I, as he is black, so I expect them to give him a couple days head start before they run him out of town.
I think I can mentioned this before, but 2015 GC celebration DT, we went to it, got our jerseys signed, Specifically got McCarty to sign and made a point of telling him that he's our favorite Eskimo, well, next to Reilly. He looked surprised, laughed, thanked us for the comment. Then I mentioned how his joy as a play, that it really communicated with fans. You could see how much he wanted to please fans, always, and to me thats the highest thing you can do as any player.

Moddejunk, lmao. Can't stand that guy either.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Explorers is a pretty solid name but don't give yourself too much credit for coming up with it. It's on the list of the 10 most submitted ideas that the team released last week.

Top 10 most popular Edmonton Football Team name submissions from fans - 3DownNation

Thanks, its good that the name is up there. I didn't see it, but nobody was talking about it. Its a good name, hopefully it prevails. They could segue that name into a lot of activities. Even have an explorers club for the kids, and maybe sponsored hikes or stuff in River Valley, or mountains or something. Do something different than knothole gang.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Just make sure none of the Explorers who we are referencing didn't own slaves. Would be changing the name again

That's what I am thinking too.

In all seriousness, the name "Explorers" might be interpreted as "Colonialist" and so you just end up in the same position. If you are going to pay a million plus for a new name then make sure its money well spent.

Reactions: joestevens29

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That's what I am thinking too.

In all seriousness, the name "Explorers" might be interpreted as "Colonialist" and so you just end up in the same position. If you are going to pay a million plus for a new name then make sure its money well spent.

Everything in the world can be interpreted to be colonialist vestige. I mean even ANY of the names we give ANYTHING AND the English language itself is colonialist. Not trying to make this political, but just saying the extensions of opposition are endless.

In anycase Voyageurs, by todays definition were slave labor, people in forts by todays definition slave labor. Times were tough, long work days, little rest, little benefit, horrid working conditions, and to come to the new world and escape poverty or even starvation for some. Indigenous people were always employed as guides as well and received some recompense. But even the "Explorers" themselves, by todays labor standards would be thought of as sweat shop labor. I mean none of these people were coming over here for a joy ride or an easy life of any sort. Just surviving was win. At a time where people didnt have long life expectancy.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It's why animal names are the best choice. Even that can be political but you have to call the team something I suppose.

Reluctantly, I take "Elk" but it sounds kind of goofy like an Ikea commercial. There is no winning against these people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad