Edmonton Football Team 2020 v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I hear the Padres are looking into a name change now. This shit never ends.
The Padres adopted their name from the Pacific Coast League team that arrived in San Diego in 1936. That minor league franchise won the PCL title in 1937, led by 18-year-old Ted Williams, the future Hall-of-Famer who was a native of San Diego. The team's name, Spanish for "fathers", refers to the Spanish Franciscan friars who founded San Diego in 1769.

So what exactly is the issue with their name?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Heard on the radio out here (650 Vancouver) that the team had got the trademark rights for “Empire”.
Edmonton Empire
Don’t know if I like that, but it does keep the EE.
Something to do with oil would be better.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
My wife thinks they should change their name to The Red-Blacks! If you can have two Roughriders/ Rough Riders why not two Red-Blacks. In fact she thinks once the league adds Halifax that half the teams should be Red-Blacks and half should be Roughriders.

I like the Edmonton Eulers!

Reactions: The Nuge

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Edmonton Capital Ex

don't shoot

jk

We can't have nice names here.

Probably ends up in some generic garbage.

maybe they can do 3yrs of focus group studies identifying scale of harm on exposure on a 100pt scale. Start out with non threatening names like Edmonton Engage or Edmonton easy. Although the latter name has connotations..

For several seasons have the team Identified as Edmonton Football club in a defunct league with no games.

Until a Western Canada barnstormer football league resurrects some teams and adopts the eskimos former name.

how come I can say eskimos here. I'm harmed, oh, owww...

craiger17

May 15, 2011
Anything around empire would be a silly crowd chant compared to “go ESKS”. I don’t mind the current mascot Nanook, which you may be able to spin something off that with a name of Northern Bears or Golden claws. Have the logo be claw marks or claw marks with a line forming a single E. There’s old ideas online of “Polar Bears”.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Edmonton Elk?

Mind you, down the road white tailed and mule deer might take offense.

If I am understanding this right, the majority of Inuit people polled had no issue with the name and it is changing anyway? This reminds me of a video that I saw of a white woman trying to tell a black woman about how the black woman was wrong that she had equal opportunities or something along those lines. I mean who better to tell people what they should feel or think than clowns like those.

BTW-I dont like the Calgary Flames name because when I think of flames I think of arson and wildfires that threaten and end many lives of people and animals yearly. I dont like the Oilers name because of Oil spills. The Jets name because of war and air pollution. The Coyotes name because Coyotes arent vegan. The Kings name because it glorifies the ultra wealthy and powerful while leaving everyone else feeling depressed in their wake.

Dont get me wrong, if the majority of Inuit people felt that this was racist, degrading, etc. I would 100% be in agreement. But the fact is that this world is bending to the people that bitch the loudest because they fear financial retaliation.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Heard on the radio out here (650 Vancouver) that the team had got the trademark rights for “Empire”.
Edmonton Empire
Don’t know if I like that, but it does keep the EE.
Something to do with oil would be better.

If they keep the EE, and tie it in with Oil, they could go with 'Elephants'.
(An oil field that yields over 100 million barrels)

Reactions: Luckylarry

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Personally I like Edmonton Elks. Best chance to retain the Double E branding and minimize the change.

However, an important thing to consider is there will be a huge cost to renaming the team. Something too similar to EE will not cause enough fans to purchase new swag and therefore not generate enough money. Switching to something completely different would mean a new logo and a ton of new merchandize for people to buy.

HAVE to keep the green and gold colours though. But new jersey design, numbers, logo etc would generate big $$$

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Edmonton Elk?

Mind you, down the road white tailed and mule deer might take offense.

If I am understanding this right, the majority of Inuit people polled had no issue with the name and it is changing anyway? This reminds me of a video that I saw of a white woman trying to tell a black woman about how the black woman was wrong that she had equal opportunities or something along those lines. I mean who better to tell people what they should feel or think than clowns like those.

BTW-I dont like the Calgary Flames name because when I think of flames I think of arson and wildfires that threaten and end many lives of people and animals yearly. I dont like the Oilers name because of Oil spills. The Jets name because of war and air pollution. The Coyotes name because Coyotes arent vegan. The Kings name because it glorifies the ultra wealthy and powerful while leaving everyone else feeling depressed in their wake.

Dont get me wrong, if the majority of Inuit people felt that this was racist, degrading, etc. I would 100% be in agreement. But the fact is that this world is bending to the people that bitch the loudest because they fear financial retaliation.

I saw one post that said 20% of western inuit wanted a name change, and over 50% of non-local inuit wanted the name changed. However there were only 3000 western inuit, and significantly more non-local inuit. I couldn't find a link for this though, so maybe someone else can confirm.

Also, the "world bending to the people that bitch the loudest" is not new. While I'm not equating the two, the same thing would've been said about the movement to end segregation. As well as women's rights, as well as gay marriage, as well as abortion laws, as well as... It's called progress.

The rest of your post is full of straw men, so I'll leave that alone.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Personally I like Edmonton Elks. Best chance to retain the Double E branding and minimize the change.

However, an important thing to consider is there will be a huge cost to renaming the team. Something too similar to EE will not cause enough fans to purchase new swag and therefore not generate enough money. Switching to something completely different would mean a new logo and a ton of new merchandize for people to buy.

HAVE to keep the green and gold colours though. But new jersey design, numbers, logo etc would generate big $$$
Didn’t they start as the Elk?

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Padres adopted their name from the Pacific Coast League team that arrived in San Diego in 1936. That minor league franchise won the PCL title in 1937, led by 18-year-old Ted Williams, the future Hall-of-Famer who was a native of San Diego. The team's name, Spanish for "fathers", refers to the Spanish Franciscan friars who founded San Diego in 1769.

So what exactly is the issue with their name?

This isn't real. There was one article posted about the Padres changing their name, and it was a poll for Padre fans to vote on. Clearly designed as click bait and to get a reaction from Padre fans.

No one's coming after any other names right now, aside from maybe the Indians (which should obviously be changed). Slippery slope arguments are so ridiculous, it's the same logic that people use to say that allowing gay marriage opens the door for beastiality and pedophiles.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I saw one post that said 20% of western inuit wanted a name change, and over 50% of non-local inuit wanted the name changed. However there were only 3000 western inuit, and significantly more non-local inuit. I couldn't find a link for this though, so maybe someone else can confirm.

Also, the "world bending to the people that bitch the loudest" is not new. While I'm not equating the two, the same thing would've been said about the movement to end segregation. As well as women's rights, as well as gay marriage, as well as abortion laws, as well as... It's called progress.

The rest of your post is full of straw men, so I'll leave that alone.

It would be interesting to know the numbers polled and the results. The bottom line IMO is that unless it is an overwhelming majority why change it? At what point does society just end up like the movie Demolition Man? Greetings and salutations, please dont be offended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->